Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @mooneyman said:
    Surely the biggest villain of FFP was Bournemouth who fiddled their way to the Premier League and ended up with a puny fine of less than £5m.

PSG and Man City seem to be navigating this all remarkably well too...

• @StrongestTeam said:

@mooneyman said:
    Surely the biggest villain of FFP was Bournemouth who fiddled their way to the Premier League and ended up with a puny fine of less than £5m.

PSG and Man City seem to be navigating this all remarkably well too...

It’s the same with any rule evasion / avoidance whoever has the biggest lawyer wins

• According to Sky

Rule 85 in the EFL regulations allows a club to accept a reduced punishment so as to avoid the time and cost of the case being heard by a future formal disciplinary commission.
    …..
    It was under Rule 85 in July Derby accepted a suspended three-point deduction for failing to pay their players last December.

I wasn’t aware that Derby had such a suspended deduction against them. Makes the whole situation even murkier in my view

• @carrickblue said:
    According to Sky

Rule 85 in the EFL regulations allows a club to accept a reduced punishment so as to avoid the time and cost of the case being heard by a future formal disciplinary commission.
    …..
    It was under Rule 85 in July Derby accepted a suspended three-point deduction for failing to pay their players last December.

I wasn’t aware that Derby had such a suspended deduction against them. Makes the whole situation even murkier in my view

They had about 5 at the last count which rather defeats the object

• Swindon have just been given the same suspended deduction for non payment of players too

• Talk about Dark Arts...bloody Wycombe and all that sneaky struggling to get by under the rules when they were broke and actually paying salaries stuff.

• A BBC journalist reckons that Derby are set to enter administration.

12 point deduction and clear the debts instead of the rumoured 9 for their rule breaches

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58604851

Confirmed by the BBC. They have right royally taken the piss out of the EFL.

• edited September 2021

At least they'll get their comeuppance now by effectively guaranteeing themselves relegation (a year too late). I feel for the fans as always in these situations, but Mel Morris can go [insert act of choice here].

I guess all we can do is pass them in the other direction in May!

• They look odds on for a well deserved, albeit delayed relegation at least.

Hopefully we can stride past them the other way. That's the best response.

• Their statement was a little catty too. It smacked of ‘woe me’ - a few digs here and there and then just blame everything else on covid.

• From what I read the 12 and 12 point deductions are different. So likely to be 21.

• edited September 2021

They've been rumbled, they know they are going down, they'll take all of the point deductions now and probably shift all debt via a CVA , start L1 a fresh next year with fresh books and a comparatively large budget having lied to all for 5 years and stiffed local suppliers and fans alike. Rooney still paid by the gambling company or walks off with the sympathy of the press. Sickening tbh, regardless of impact on us if the obvious had been tallied up last year.

• I would like the 9 suspended and only added if they don't get relegated with the 12. Then they can have the 9 next year.

• I think any points deduction for entering into receivership - an automatic 12pts? - should be entirely separate to any other penalty for non- payment of player wages - 3pts currently suspended? - or for failing FFP criteria in previous seasons 2015-2018.
    The EFL has a duty to ensure the process is followed for each separate breach of regulations.
    If they make an exception, even for Derby, then every other will justifiably have an enormous loophole to exploit.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    At least they'll get their comeuppance now by effectively guaranteeing themselves relegation (a year too late). I feel for the fans as always in these situations, but Mel Morris can go [insert act of choice here].

So they clear the debt (and sod all the people/businesses they owe money too) transfer embargo is lifted and can start splashing the cash again. I don't think relegation is certain, in fact with two or three quality players in the January window there is no reason why they couldn't recover the 12 points.

• edited September 2021

Is the interchangeable fixture list still live?

Said it before but the EFL fiddling around to protect Wayne Rooney's Derby from relegation last season makes it more likely their supporters will have no club at all.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

Yep - ask the League One Clubs and the Championship Clubs who they would rather play for the rest of the season and the club that has the most votes choses where they finish the season.
    If we inherited their Championship season we would inherit their points, they would get ours minus 9 and they could chose which season they got the minus 12. I think that would be a negotiated deal which would be fair to all parties.

• @railwaysteve said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Yep - ask the League One Clubs and the Championship Clubs who they would rather play for the rest of the season and the club that has the most votes choses where they finish the season.
    If we inherited their Championship season we would inherit their points, they would get ours minus 9 and they could chose which season they got the minus 12. I think that would be a negotiated deal which would be fair to all parties.

That's batshit crazy, so I'd expect it implented in full before the week is out.

• @mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

So they clear the debt (and sod all the people/businesses they owe money too) transfer embargo is lifted and can start splashing the cash again. I don't think relegation is certain, in fact with two or three quality players in the January window there is no reason why they couldn't recover the 12 points.

It'll be 21 points, won't it?

• Apart from Luton getting that 30 pointer has a club ever had higher than about 12 points deducted?

• edited September 2021

@Malone said:
    Apart from Luton getting that 30 pointer has a club ever had higher than about 12 points deducted?

Leeds started 07/08 on -15

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It'll be 21 points, won't it?

I’m convinced that they know the 9pt deduction is on the way so have taken the easy way out

They would go down with 9 points removed so why not do it all in one hit.
    I reckon they would have ended up in administration next summer anyway if they were relegated.
    This way it only screws up a single season

Wonder if “Sir Wayne “ hangs around now??

• The meltdown on here when Derby's points deduction keeps Peterborough up is going to be something to behold

• Very Angry Football Supporter. EFL joke.

• For a man so appalled at clubs benefiting from off-field shenanigans, Alan Swann seems quite excited tonight!

• @eric_plant said:
    The meltdown on here when Derby's points deduction keeps Peterborough up is going to be something to behold

It's almost written, isn't it? I would still prefer Derby to go down, though. Peterborough got away with a dive in the second to last game, but Derby got away with years of cheating.

• Posh are pish enough to get relegated anyway