Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

12345679»

Comments

• edited September 2021

I suppose it at least means the singing crew can direct their "encouragement" directly to Oxford's fans, rather than across the faces of kids and oldies.

• edited September 2021

I still don't really buy it when you can count the number of arrests we have per season on one hand, it's just ludicrous over policing. Compare that to any nightclub or bar of similar capacity.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Having all 3 age ranges with our purchases standing wasn't an option particularly as behind me were very senior fans that wouldn't have seen beggar all if we did stand. Three lads stood up 2 rows in front, I asked them politely to sit & explained why. They basically told me to fek off. I offered to lamp the gobbiest one right then, as I moved towards them, they all sat down and then 5 minutes later they all moved off. Proving that just sometimes violence, (or the threat of), is the answer, as it cuts out a lot of the middle bit of the negotiation!
    As for the match, we couldn't see a lot of the left wing in the 1st half due to the singing section all standing, (which in my opinion was badly thought out and the cause of a lot of the friction), however a point a piece was about right. We could & maybe should have gone in at HT one up, & they had the better of the majority of the 2nd half. As others have noted, they didn't create more than one clear cut chance. Towards the end it just became a battle ground & the ref finally found his cards, too little too late. Should have issued them earlier and the game wouldn't have taken the direction it did. All in all, a point was OK but we certainly felt WWFC could have had all three.
    If there is a next year, please could the singers/standers be sold from the back down, it really is common sense.

If only the young protagonist had said ‘Who’s going to stop me? You and who’s army?’ you could have said yes and had an anecdote for the ages!

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Having all 3 age ranges with our purchases standing wasn't an option particularly as behind me were very senior fans that wouldn't have seen beggar all if we did stand. Three lads stood up 2 rows in front, I asked them politely to sit & explained why. They basically told me to fek off. I offered to lamp the gobbiest one right then, as I moved towards them, they all sat down and then 5 minutes later they all moved off. Proving that just sometimes violence, (or the threat of), is the answer, as it cuts out a lot of the middle bit of the negotiation!
    As for the match, we couldn't see a lot of the left wing in the 1st half due to the singing section all standing, (which in my opinion was badly thought out and the cause of a lot of the friction), however a point a piece was about right. We could & maybe should have gone in at HT one up, & they had the better of the majority of the 2nd half. As others have noted, they didn't create more than one clear cut chance. Towards the end it just became a battle ground & the ref finally found his cards, too little too late. Should have issued them earlier and the game wouldn't have taken the direction it did. All in all, a point was OK but we certainly felt WWFC could have had all three.
    If there is a next year, please could the singers/standers be sold from the back down, it really is common sense.

If only the young protagonist had said ‘Who’s going to stop me? You and who’s army?’ you could have said yes and had an anecdote for the ages!

Quite embarrasingly, I'd never actually worked out what the user name meant until you quite obviously pointed it out then. Gulp!!
    I thought it was some odd questioning of Who is Amy, like a Britney Spears song or something :)

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Malone said:

You do wonder why they haven't at least put a token gesture terrace in behind that stand.
    Surely wouldn't cost much, and you could easily have 400-500 in there. It must be soulless for those Oxford players attacking an empty end every other week.

That's the crux of the issue for me - if a terrace was made available to visiting fans then instances of people standing inconsiderately in seated sections would dwindle to next to nothing. When's the last time anyone made a nuisance of themselves at Adams Park for standing in a home seated area because they preferred standing at the football?

It’s obviously because they would have to change it to seats as soon as they reach their rightful place in the Premier League…

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

I was this old when I figured out that username.

• Spotted some Sunderland fan on twitter having the cheek to say that away fans weren't very noisy up there.. If they'd put us any further out of the way we would have been on a North sea oil rig.

• @floyd said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

I was this old when I figured out that username.

Yes ahem.
    I just didn't clock it for a second, probably a mix of never pronouncing a double o like that, and thinking it was a sammy / a-mee end to it.
    But you live n learn!

• I’m happy to admit I had never seen it either @malone. Sadly it’s more than likely someone will mention it again in a year or so’s time and I will be equally as bemused

• I’ve known @EwanHoosaami quite well since the start of the pandemic. He did a fair amount of shopping for us, for which we were very grateful but, before I sussed out the sentiment behind the username (about six years ago) I used to think it was an Asian name and I saw it as an encouraging sign that, at last, someone of that heritage was sufficiently enamoured of the Wanderers to post on the Gasroom.

• @micra said:
    I’ve known @EwanHoosaami quite well since the start of the pandemic. He did a fair amount of shopping for us, for which we were very grateful but, before I sussed out the sentiment behind the username (about six years ago) I used to think it was an Asian name and I saw it as an encouraging sign that, at last, someone of that heritage was sufficiently enamoured of the Wanderers to post on the Gasroom.

I used to have a handle on Gasroom one that was @OoosbinPharteen, but a combination of 911 & ironically an Oxford fan calling me a "P@ki cu£t" on the forum, (for which was rightly abused by many OUFC fans, I decided to move away from it. I also once had the name of @M'ballzisairy.
    A short history lesson for these who don't know me at all!

• Fascinating morphology of Gasroom monikers. In the early nineties I was on a fantasy league with a mate whose team were ‘Lettsbey Avenue’ - he was a Norwich fan, go figure.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @perfidious_albion said:
    Fascinating morphology of Gasroom monikers. In the early nineties I was on a fantasy league with a mate whose team were ‘Lettsbey Avenue’ - he was a Norwich fan, go figure.

I went figure @perfidious_albion. Didn’t have to go far as, for some time following Delia Smith’s admonishing call to fellow Norwich fans, about 20 years ago, to make more noise (Let’s be having you), I’m embarrassed to say that it became one of my own limited repertoire of shouts.

• Agree @fame_46 we are still a work in progress and, to my mind, not losing as much as possible, especially against the fancied (in the bookies or their own fevered minds) teams at this stage of the season will stand us in good stead as players return and we grind on.

• McCarthy coming back will be huge for our attacking prowess. I am already imagining the pretty patterns between he, McLeary and Hanlan!

• Certainly needed back to give Grimmer a break, been really off last few games

• Though the Us fans seem unhappy about the time spent on Bayo's injury, I cannot honestly remember the last time the medical staff were on for the big man so it cannot have been entirely trivial to wind them up, can it?

• He was bleeding, the referee had no choice but to stop the game.

The Oxford fans were making fools of themselves

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Certainly needed back to give Grimmer a break, been really off last few games

I thought he played well on Saturday

• edited September 2021

@eric_plant said:
    He was bleeding, the referee had no choice but to stop the game.

The Oxford fans were making fools of themselves

I have to say they seem very confused. The team were robbed by our spoiling tactics (which apparently we are so used to we no longer recognise what real football is!), the officials giving us everything and KR not being very good at picking a side or making subs.

• @eric_plant, so did I. He made a number of important tackles and interceptions.

• That is his job! When he surged forward he lost the ball leaving us v exposed at the back, what threat they had all came down their left wing.

• edited September 2021

I don't think the extremely odd system helped him - just as he's suffered from the lack of McCarthy outside him when playing RCB. Hopefully Gaz reverts to type on Saturday.

• Well he did his job well as far as I am concerned.

• a few games? @perfidious_albion I have only seen him play in the Accies game and the Lincoln game live and the Wigan one on the ifollow and I thought he was doing well...

• Grimmer is great, but will likely be a frequent casualty of the wingback formation once McCarthy is back. Jason is better going forward, and you can't dislodge Taffs or Stewart from CB. Grimmer will still see plenty of games though owing to knocks and the like.

• Moaning about injury time when you've smashed someone in the face is always a but silly