Skip to content

Enhanced match day experience for the dog

Totally self interested post this. Here’s the thing. Less street parking close the ground and a desire to spend longer at the ground at times means the faithful hound could be left at home for too long as we have to move away from the rock up at 2:50 and park at that factory on the right approach.

Does anyone happen to know of a reliable dog sitter or person who might like the company of a small black lab on a Saturday afternoon and perhaps a Tuesday evening? For a reasonable fee.

Comments

• Can he play left wingback? Might be an opening for him in a Saturday afternoon if so.

• I think Adams Park should be the first league club with a dog section.

• I once went to a baseball game in Nashville that was billed as ‘Tail wagging Tuesday’ where fans were encouraged to bring their dogs and a section of the stadium was fenced off especially for them.
    Future idea for Rob, perhaps? Mind you, we’d probably get complaints about the barking!

• Has anyone called their dog Gareth Ainswoof yet?

• I would love it if I could bring my dog to games. Why is it actively encouraged and part of the culture at non-league games, but seen as unthinkable at the professional level?

• @drcongo said:
    I think Adams Park should be the first league club with a dog section.

Will there be howling and non howling sections?

• edited September 2021

Ben Chillingham has created a map of non-league clubs in steps 1-5, showing if they allow dogs in.

http://bit.ly/DogsInNonLeague

• Will the dog need an FA cup ticket?

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Ben Chillingham has created a map of non-league clubs in steps 1-5, showing if they allow dogs in.

http://bit.ly/DogsInNonLeague

Nice to see that Barking do allow dogs.

• My dog would absolutely hate it and continually complain to the club about the ocassional shooting parties, the tannoy and any plans for fireworks.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I once went to a baseball game in Nashville that was billed as ‘Tail wagging Tuesday’ where fans were encouraged to bring their dogs and a section of the stadium was fenced off especially for them.
    Future idea for Rob, perhaps? Mind you, we’d probably get complaints about the barking!

My local minor league club does the same thing. It's called 'Bark in the Park,' so we wouldn't even need to change the name!

• David Airedale would surely be the ideal candidate to champion our dog friendly approach. Never afraid to chase off his line to retrieve the ball.

• I think bringing dogs to the football is a very bad idea, and I say that as a dog owner who likes to take their dog with them to places.

One, I don’t think dogs would enjoy the loud, busy, disorientating atmosphere. Two, not all dog owners are responsible and not all dogs are trained - and even if they are, they might behave badly in a stressful environment.

• Chill Chris, it’s only a light hearted thread.

• @Chris said:
    I think bringing dogs to the football is a very bad idea, and I say that as a dog owner who likes to take their dog with them to places.

One, I don’t think dogs would enjoy the loud, busy, disorientating atmosphere. Two, not all dog owners are responsible and not all dogs are trained - and even if they are, they might behave badly in a stressful environment.

I'm taking mine to Clapton CFC the weekend we're playing at MK. Considering she's scared of cardboard boxes, I'm definitely preparing to leave within 5 minutes.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Chill Chris, it’s only a light hearted thread.

Some comments are obviously light hearted, as is the case in the majority of threads. Some would seem to be seriously in favour and quite serious. I’m including yours in that where you point to it happening in American sports and (perhaps jokingly - it’s hard to tell) suggesting that Rob C takes it up.

So expressing an opposite view is quite in order. And I’m with Chris in that it’s not a good idea at all

• At least it would bring legitimacy to that ‘shit on the floor’ chant. There’d be loads of it.

Would the dog be required to have its own TicketCo account?

• Dogs are for park and three-figure attendance club matches, socially distanced and on the leash! I speak as a dog owner for over 50 years until our beloved Paddy had to be put to sleep two years ago. Health issues made it impractical to replace him, much as we would have lived to. There was a delightful symmetry to that, insofar as our first dog, two years after we got married (a golden cocker spaniel) was also called Paddy.

What @Chris says is absolutely spot on, were this to be seriously contemplated, but I’m sure the Couhigs, as responsible dog owners themselves, would give the idea short shrift !

• ...”much as we would have loved to.”!

• @arnos_grove said:
    At least it would bring legitimacy to that ‘shit on the floor’ chant. There’d be loads of it.

Also wouldn't want to be the goalie after hundreds of dogs have cooked their leg up the goalposts.

• Dogging December at Adams Park? Another money maker for the Couhigs to make use of the facilities

• Will there be doggy crisps? Actually, I've just noticed that the WWFC food app is called "Fetch"!

• @arnos_grove said:
    At least it would bring legitimacy to that ‘shit on the floor’ chant. There’d be loads of it.

Have to confess ignorance of the ‘shit on the floor’ chant. It took me a while to familiarise myself with the shithole variants.

• It would be a little embarrassing when the home dogs instantly switch allegiance to Huddersfield whenever they are visiting.

• @Shev said:
    It would be a little embarrassing when the home dogs instantly switch allegiance to Huddersfield whenever they are visiting.

Nah, dogs have been boycotting Huddersfield ever since David Wagner left...

• A few people barking up the wrong tree here

• Why are so many dogs called Rover in Bristol?

• Not to mention Shitty in City.

• Nikki Bulldog
    Jack Russell Grimmer
    Jordan O-bite-a
    Darius King Charles Spaniel
    Dave Winalotfield
    Nicky Lead
    Andy Roboneson
    Stuart Pedigreen
    Jon Paul Pitbullman
    Keith Scottie
    Mark West Highland Terrier