Skip to content

Oxford Forum looking forward to Saturday!

Comments

• That sounds horrific @drcongo!

The different parts of Oxford make it interesting for me. Not saying it's right

• @peterparrotface said:

@Malone said:

@peterparrotface said:
    @Shev there’s no rivalry between Wycombe and Oxford United so can’t imagine they’d be mentioned on here unless there’s a game

You repeatedly write things like this for Oxford, Peterborough and Sunderland.

Surely you get that rivalries can change and develop over the years?

We're not forever stuck with Slough or Col U as being our only rivals you know.

That told me

Think @Malone missed the point here

• I have to say I'll always go to Oxford over wycombe for shopping/restaurants/drinks etc.... the only thing I actually do in wycombe is go to Adams Park. The town centre has become a cesspit in recent year's, went for a curry in kappad a few years back (a must for southern Indian food lovers) and walked upto O'Neils afterwards. Actually felt on edge and witnessed someone smoking crack near mcds! I grow up in booker and have lived on bowerdean and Micklefield Road, but wycombe really has nose dived.

• @bigred87 said:
    I have to say I'll always go to Oxford over wycombe for shopping/restaurants/drinks etc.... the only thing I actually do in wycombe is go to Adams Park. The town centre has become a cesspit in recent year's, went for a curry in kappad a few years back (a must for southern Indian food lovers) and walked upto O'Neils afterwards. Actually felt on edge and witnessed someone smoking crack near mcds! I grow up in booker and have lived on bowerdean and Micklefield Road, but wycombe really has nose dived.

I have to agree. I have always lived in Oxfordshire but my Dad moved to Wycombe when my parents split up, hence my Wycombe fanship. I live about equidistant from the two and will always choose Oxford for that kind of thing. That said, the Kassam is in the worst part of Oxford and I hate it

• @drcongo said:

@LX1 said:

That lovely bit is only because they ghettoised the working classes - https://libcom.org/library/oxfords-class-war-blackbird-leys-riots-early-90s

I remember getting caught up in the middle of a minor riot with people from the Blackbird Leys estate after going to see The Damned at Oxford Apollo in 86. Got a bit of a pasting.

Up until the late ‘50’s the roads between Sommertown (posh) and Sunnymead (council houses ) had a high brick wall built right across the suburban streets to stop mingling!!!! There is some unbelievable period bigoted footage on YouTube of this aberration!!!!!

• @perfidious_albion Yeah, it's mentioned in that article. I was gobsmacked when I first learned of them.

• Work in oxford and live woodstock way, a city of immense wealth ( university) take away the tourist bits and north oxford ( jericho / summer town) trust me it’s a bit rough around the edges.

• edited September 2021

Good luck to everyone heading off to the game tomorrow. Please bring back three points, hopefully in contentious circumstances. :smile:

• @OX66 said:
    Work in oxford and live woodstock way, a city of immense wealth ( university) take away the tourist bits and north oxford ( jericho / summer town) trust me it’s a bit rough around the edges.

The disparity between the Woodstock Road/North Oxford and Cowley Road/East Oxford must be one of the largest and most obvious in the entire country

• @oxfordshirechairboy said:

@bigred87 said:
    I have to say I'll always go to Oxford over wycombe for shopping/restaurants/drinks etc.... the only thing I actually do in wycombe is go to Adams Park. The town centre has become a cesspit in recent year's, went for a curry in kappad a few years back (a must for southern Indian food lovers) and walked upto O'Neils afterwards. Actually felt on edge and witnessed someone smoking crack near mcds! I grow up in booker and have lived on bowerdean and Micklefield Road, but wycombe really has nose dived.

I have to agree. I have always lived in Oxfordshire but my Dad moved to Wycombe when my parents split up, hence my Wycombe fanship. I live about equidistant from the two and will always choose Oxford for that kind of thing. That said, the Kassam is in the worst part of Oxford and I hate it

I lived in the centre of Wycombe briefly in the 90s but lots of it seem much nicer now than it was then.

• @drcongo said:
    @perfidious_albion Yeah, it's mentioned in that article. I was gobsmacked when I first learned of them.

Maybe they were supposed to be building the 4th stand and just misread the drawings???

• “The way some of their board celebrated, I haven’t forgotten that either.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/19571139.karl-robinson-previews-oxford-united-v-wycombe-wanderers/

• Imagine having the audacity to celebrate your own team winning promotion to the highest division in their history.

• I find that transparency usually is clear.

• So kneeling, praying and celebrating a win are offensive to their forum posters so far? Hope we do all three tomorrow.

• @Wendoverman said:
    So kneeling, praying and celebrating a win are offensive to their forum posters so far? Hope we do all three tomorrow.

A celebratory pitch invasion is long overdue

• @Malone said:
    Imagine having the audacity to celebrate your own team winning promotion to the highest division in their history.

Perhaps the sight of someone celebrating a major win is simply alien to anyone connected to Oxford. A bit like a fourth stand.

• They won the Milk Cup in 86

• @drcongo said:

@LX1 said:
    Oxford is genuinely a lovely and interesting city. It's a shame ground is where it is

That lovely bit is only because they ghettoised the working classes - https://libcom.org/library/oxfords-class-war-blackbird-leys-riots-early-90s

I remember getting caught up in the middle of a minor riot with people from the Blackbird Leys estate after going to see The Damned at Oxford Apollo in 86. Got a bit of a pasting.

This is a very well written and interesting article

• @Vincey said:
    “The way some of their board celebrated, I haven’t forgotten that either.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/19571139.karl-robinson-previews-oxford-united-v-wycombe-wanderers/

If he’d seen the way I celebrated he’d be waking up in cold sweats about it to this day

• As a habitual visitor to opposition forums before and after games it is strange that oxford have a thread dedicated to their lack of rivalry between us, they doth protest too much methinks.
    Is there? For me personally no although they do have quite a lot of pompous fans with an exaggerated opinion on their clubs size and importance and they are always good fun when we burst that particular balloon.

• We don’t really cross paths enough with Oxford to have built up a true rivalry yet.

Geographically however they are likely to be our main ‘derby’ match for the foreseeable future (when we are in the same league) and it should be one of the fixtures that automatically excites both sets of supporters.

As Sunderland seemed to demonstrate, judging their supporters by the skewed view of a handful of zealots on social media isn’t really sensible.

Winning games like this are always slightly sweeter and conversely losing lifts just that little bit more. A draw? I would be pretty happy with that today

• I hate Oxford with a passion... I grew up as an arsenal fan too but my hate for Oxford has always been well above my spurs, Chelsea and man u hate.... I think a lot of it is to do with the delusional state of the fan base and the believe they belong in the championship. Also I have a few work colleagues who support them, I get abusive messages when we're playing em, I never once bite/respond as these things will always bite you in the end.

• The PNL fans deluded boast about their superior history. Headington/Oxford were still in the Oxon Senior lge when we were winning Amateur cups. They achieved almost nothing in 60 years as an amateur cup. It was only the piracy of businessmen that stole the Headington club and changed its name to Oxford United that saw money elevate them to the Southern lge and then the Football lge.
    And as for their never ending bragging about the Milk Cup winning , they seem to feel no embarrassment that it was funded by stealing hard earned cash from OAP's.
    In modern days, it would be like me boasting that I stand to make £10,000 if Emma Radacuna wins the US open tonight, as I put £100 prior to the qualifying rnds. But I got that £100, when I dipped my hand in old Ethels hand bag, as she was belting out 'All things bright and beautiful at the Sally Army Sunday service a fortnight a go.

Immoral club, Scum fans !!

• Wow @drcongo. Can’t believe they would build walls across roads like that. What an eye opener that was.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited September 2021

@bigred87 Given Arsenal’s recent move in support of a European Super League, are you still a fan? When I was very young I used to follow Tottenham and whilst Wycombe have taken up 90% of my footballing psyche I did still keep an eye out for their results right up until this year. I have completely lost the urge now, a plague on theirs and yours at the same time, etc …

Regarding Oxford rivalries, I can’t remember every having a problem either home or away with an Oxford fixture, in fact one of my favourite ever away experiences was at the Manor Ground in torrential rain somewhere between Xmas\New Year when a cohort of Southend fans (whose game somewhere close had been called off due to the weather) filtered into the away end with us and started leading the chanting. Also my maths teacher was an Oxford fan (didnt miss a game home or away for decades) so we always had great football chats at the start of lessons. All of which is to say that I struggle to feel the antagonism in this fixture, but I always look forward to it when we are in the same league.

• @ChasHarps you left out the most important part of their history, when they were being run by international sex trafficker and assistant pedo Gislaine Maxwell.

• @drcongo said:
    @ChasHarps you left out the most important part of their history, when they were being run by international sex trafficker and assistant pedo Gislaine Maxwell.

And used to run out onto the pitch to the strains of semi local rock hero Gary Glitter.

• So @ChasHarps, have you cashed in the cheque yet now that she has won the US Open or given the money to old Ethel ? ??

• Yet another thread about little old Wycombe on the Oxford forum, where posters breathlessly tell each other how much they don't care about us.

https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/wycombe.6486/