Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:
    It’s truly hard to believe that in the year 2021 with all that has gone on with regards to BLM, taking the knee etc some moron still says something like that. I hope he’s banned for life.

It's probably the sort of thing that could get him sacked as well if the police properly pursue it.

I hear people say that tracking people down to their workplace and impacting their employment is draconian but what is it going to take to rid us of this sh1t? Plus if he is a dyed in the wool racist maybe his employer should know in case it impacts his judgment there. Consequences have to be seen

• @Malone never seen him before, although he was with some of the morons who are seen regularly. I didn't think we had designated seating today, I was horrified when I got into my seat and saw who I was surrounded by!!!

• edited September 2021

@bigred87 said:
    @Malone never seen him before, although he was with some of the morons who are seen regularly. I didn't think we had designated seating today, I was horrified when I got into my seat and saw who I was surrounded by!!!

There were a few bubbling around me near the back of one of the other blocks, who seemed to disappear totally about 15mins in. Not sure where they went.

I suspect they got wind that as the singing block was all standing, that they could bundle in a few abreast?

• There's going to be the odd racist idiot in every crowd, it's whether a fan base shuts them down when they pipe up, before they can attract other idiots that join them that stops a reputation growing. I've always thought that would happen quickly at Wycombe and I'm glad it has today.

• I'm disappointed @Wendoverman hasn't yet been on to do a parody of that racism thread about how maybe this guy's intentions weren't racist etc

• Tim Henman is an Oxford United supporter

• @bigred87 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Very sad to see this. Anyone aware of what happened?

Yeah it was me who reported it! Absolutely disgusting behaviour

Sad you needed to do that but well done on doing so.

• @Malone said:
    I'm disappointed @Wendoverman hasn't yet been on to do a parody of that racism thread about how maybe this guy's intentions weren't racist

I'm boring myself and as I've blocked a lot of the people who would be triggered it seemed pointless to suggest than rather than being racist he may merely be a fan of Robertson's jam of the 1970s and 1980s harmlessly reliving a happy childhood that has apparently now been cancelled by a woke football crowd.

• @PBo Brilliant ???

• Lacked a bit of quality in places with some poorly executed passing and crosses where a more precise ball could have led to a scoring opportunity.

We really should have taken the lead first half with the back post header. Superb clearance, but a centre forward should bundle that in really. That said, we relied on a couple of superb last ditch clearances too.

Draw was a fair result overall and a decent point away at a side you’d expect to be challenging.

Thought the formation was a 4-1-4-1 or 4–4-2 but we seemed to deploy man marking at times when their players switched positions and moved all over. As a result it looked a bit ‘random’ at times but I think it was fairly effective.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@micra said:
    How does that simple bit of tech work in the hands of a simple subscriber?

You'd need to buy / subscribe to a VPN first, but then it's pretty much just a case of flicking a switch to trick iFollow or whatever into thinking your outside the UK.

About 40 years ago, the sales manager of a second-hand car dealership on the West Wycombe Road told me that, if I was prepared to be party to a small deception, he could reduce the price slightly. I declined. I have a similar feeling about tricking iFollow, quite apart from the fact that I would probably make a mess of setting it up and ‘flicking a switch’ !

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, ref was excellent - better than a lot of the crap we had to put up with last season, never mind at this level.

I thought the ref did well and would happily have him again. He let a lot of tussling go and didn’t ‘buy’ some Oxford bullshit falling over. Also he didn’t give a penalty against JJ first half which would have been easy to give…thank you, thank you.

I thought Oxford pinged it around well at times and played with pace…lack of end product for both teams. Our chances were half chances at best and Stocko didn’t make many saves, but was outstanding when he did and outstanding at saving crosses.

• I am the same @micra plus the only computer I have is a work laptop and sod's law I would do something disastrous to it!?

• edited September 2021

@micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@micra said:

You'd need to buy / subscribe to a VPN first, but then it's pretty much just a case of flicking a switch to trick iFollow or whatever into thinking your outside the UK.

About 40 years ago, the sales manager of a second-hand car dealership on the West Wycombe Road told me that, if I was prepared to be party to a small deception, he could reduce the price slightly. I declined. I have a similar feeling about tricking iFollow, quite apart from the fact that I would probably make a mess of setting it up and ‘flicking a switch’ !

The irony with this "deception" is that you still need to pay for the actual game, so in effect are benefitting the club with your wad.

As opposed to just finding a free stream for other games, where no-one benefits.
    Having said that, I'm probably along your lines, don't have the willing or mad skills to bother to go the vpn approach.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@micra said:

Was it Boycie!

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Oh and fair play to Brannagan for Oxford. Mouthy little shite but absolutely ran the show for them in midfield. Can't believe he's not playing at a higher level.

They apparently turned down a 7-figure sum for him this summer.

• The singing/non singing segregation mess was a disgrace . I requested our party be well away from the singing section, told that seats allocated as delivered by Oxford (whatever that means). We were just across the aisle at the v back from the ‘singers’. Right on kick off all the ‘piss heads’ piled in, to find their seats taken by ‘fans’ who wanted to be in the singing section but weren’t. Mayhem resulted, the aisles full of people, stewards barely keeping order. Of course everyone around us therefore standing. Which meant that a senior citizen member of our party, in remission from cancer, had to stand all game. The goons who ‘enjoy’ this atmosphere are reprehensible. The songs are generally banal and offensive. Enhanced match day experience? I don’t think so.

• edited September 2021

We had seats right next to the singing section that were obviously going to be already taken when we got there relatively late, so after a quick look we just went and sat in some of the multiple seats that's weren't. It was a minor inconvenience, but unless you have a massive singing section on sale until Kick off, it's always going to mean that plenty of people don't get tickets with their mates in the singing section but will end up going there anyway.

• @JohnBoy said:

@Last_Quarter said:
    Oh and fair play to Brannagan for Oxford. Mouthy little shite but absolutely ran the show for them in midfield. Can't believe he's not playing at a higher level.

They apparently turned down a 7-figure sum for him this summer.

I think he’ll be off soon. Blackpool and Millwall both came in for him in the summer and I think even on the 31st August Oxford weren’t sure if he was staying.

Seems to have quite a short fuse as Scowen easily rattled him in the first half, but really came alive in the second.

He’s key to the way Oxford play so I think they’ll suffer when he’s gone, he’s the kind of player that you need to get a promotion out of when he’s there, like Eze with us.

• edited September 2021

@Username said:
    We had seats right next to the singing section that were obviously going to be already taken when we got there relatively late, so after a quick look we just went and sat in some of the multiple seats that's weren't. It was a minor inconvenience, but unless you have a massive singing section on sale until Kick off, it's always going to mean that plenty of people don't get tickets with their mates in the singing section but will end up going there anyway.

I wonder if would have worked a bit better if they simply sold singing from one corner at the back, and sold normal tickets from one corner diagonally at the front.

Seemed to mostly be ok in the majority of the non singing bit, bar for those examples above where you're close to the singing bit.

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

I wonder if would have worked a bit better if they simply sold singing from one corner at the back, and sold normal tickets from one corner diagonally at the front.

Seemed to mostly be ok in the majority of the non singing bit, bar for those examples above where you're close to the singing bit.

That would make sense to me, but I'm guessing there's a police reason that it's limited to certain blocks/ numbers, especially when they're positioned next to the home fans

• @Username said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

That would make sense to me, but I'm guessing there's a police reason that it's limited to certain blocks/ numbers, especially when they're positioned next to the home fans

Yep, am sure the club do a lot of work on this.

And I'll be honest, it was nice to be quite high up in the stand without having to be in the thick of a flurry of abusive chants.
    Although there was one c bomb merchant who was doing his best to ruin that, until he disappeared, presumably into the singing section.

• Sounds like another section is needed. The 'I definitely don't want to be anywhere near the singing section' section.

• Only 1 minute but you can see how much we live in Robinson’s head. Strange of him to profess how good they are too, you shouldn’t have to state that as a manager if you really believe you’ve got a good squad

• Apart from Kingsmeadow and Kenilworth Road, the Kassam was the away venue I dreaded most. It would have been the most dreaded if the journey hadn’t been so short and beer in the sun on that grassy area just outside the “stadium” so enjoyable. No Special ‘K’ there.

• @micra said:
    Apart from Kingsmeadow and Kenilworth Road, the Kassam was the away venue I dreaded most. It would have been the most dreaded if the journey hadn’t been so short and beer in the sun on that grassy area just outside the “stadium” so enjoyable. No Special ‘K’ there.

Don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting on the special K for the football, although I suspect we're referencing very different things

• @jessvl1 said:

Only 1 minute but you can see how much we live in Robinson’s head. Strange of him to profess how good they are too, you shouldn’t have to state that as a manager if you really believe you’ve got a good squad

Also - don’t give your ball boys the weekend off and then complain about us taking too long on goal kicks / throw ins.

• Very good, and he's spot on about the "2-1 on your big day out" chant. Mind-numbingly stupid

• @eric_plant said:

Very good, and he's spot on about the "2-1 on your big day out" chant. Mind-numbingly stupid

A bit of siliness, not 100% accurate but they were always going to get stick for us beating them and I like how he acknowledged any attempts for them to have a go at how we did in the championship were a self own.

"I get that some people like that big-muscle aesthetic, but you have to question how it helps his professional career" he does add though of Akinfenwa rather nonsensically as if he's a kid just starting out that might want to cut out the gym work and concentrate on running rather than a 40 year old coming to the end of a solid career with a huge following