Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• PBoPBo
    edited September 2021

@TheOldMan said:

Re Thompson: agree that he had a really poor game. He is nowhere near Mach fitness yet.

Didn’t realise he’d ever been that pacey to be honest.

(This post has been brought to you courtesy of the Gasroom Pedantry Monitor)

• I thought Thompson was doing a lot of covering the left back position in the first half, so not surprised he was a bit knackered from that.

His little face off with their scrawny short player was comedy though. Both standing there at safe distance hoping for someone to break it up so they didn't have to do anything.

• Very sad to see this. Anyone aware of what happened?

• As I said I think Oxford are a good side who know it but seem lacking in something to win games.

• @micra said:
    How does that simple bit of tech work in the hands of a simple subscriber?

You'd need to buy / subscribe to a VPN first, but then it's pretty much just a case of flicking a switch to trick iFollow or whatever into thinking your outside the UK.

• Not much to add to all the above other than I thought Hanlan's long, crossfield pass to GMac that led to Vokes' shot was sublime.

Scrappy game, fair result.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Not much to add to all the above other than I thought Hanlan's long, crossfield pass to GMac that led to Vokes' shot was sublime.

Scrappy game, fair result.

Best bit of play in the whole game.

Though Oxford fans wouldn't admit to that.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Very sad to see this. Anyone aware of what happened?

Yeah it was me who reported it! Absolutely disgusting behaviour

• @bigred87 What happened?

• @carrickblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

They made them for the previous home kit, but I guess we took the decision to go without for the current one. The red and white is iconic anyway!

A club can register 3 kits for the season with the league. Only if none of the registered kits provide suitable differentiation can a club mix shirts and shorts from their registered kits. O’Neills making light shorts available is not an option if sticking to the league rules.

During the 2017-18 promotion season we regularly alternated shorts colour between light and dark blue? It was probably 50-50 if I remember correctly

Luton away that season (the Tyson game) was defo light blue, but Carlisle (when Beany scored) was dark blue. And those games were only 4 days apart

• Three comments stood out for me in this thread:
    1) (Oxford) ‘a team we should be beating.’ Why? They have made the playoffs in each of the last two seasons and have an excellent home record.
    2) ‘Next week is a must win game.’ In mid-September? Must be some kind of record.
    3) ‘The referee was excellent.’ Really? Everyone I spoke to, including two former referees, thought he had a poor game.

• I was sat next to segregation (unfortunately, full of clowns) through out the game a black steward was telling people to calm down and towards the end of the game a moron behind me shouted at him "fuck off you golliwog" I turned and challenged him and to my surprise a black guy was stood near him and was also challenging him. I've give a statement to the police etc.....

• edited September 2021

@glasshalffull said:
    Three comments stood out for me in this thread:
    1) (Oxford) ‘a team we should be beating.’ Why? They have made the playoffs in each of the last two seasons and have an excellent home record.
    2) ‘Next week is a must win game.’ In mid-September? Must be some kind of record.
    3) ‘The referee was excellent.’ Really? Everyone I spoke to, including two former referees, thought he had a poor game.

I saw someone say we should have beaten them, but I thought they were meaning on how poor they looked, and us having a few decent chances. Not them being a team we "should" beat per se.

And definitely not a good ref from the at game experience.

• The least said about the football the better. Both defences coped well, if a little last gasp at times, with whatever came their way. 0-0 the inevitable outcome, and neither team really deserved to win IMHO. A draw was a fair result in what was a fiesty encounter at times. Quite glad those rush of rather robust tackles late in the game didn't result in any serious injuries - so far as it seemed anyway.

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on the way the singing section was implemented?

Seemed odd to me that between Oxford/Wycombe they couldn't arrange to have "singers/standers" across the back several rows rather than front to back in one vertical section.

Did anyone's view get spoilt or would we say it worked well?

• Well done for challenging him.

• @bigred87 I'm glad you reported it. I wasn't surprised to see stewards in and out of that area all game.

• edited September 2021

@bigred87 said:
    I was sat next to segregation (unfortunately, full of clowns) through out the game a black steward was telling people to calm down and towards the end of the game a moron behind me shouted at him "fuck off you golliwog" I turned and challenged him and to my surprise a black guy was stood near him and was also challenging him. I've give a statement to the police etc.....

Horrible stuff.
    Well done for not letting it go and making sure it gets stamped out.

That's hopefully the last game that particular twat goes to.

Did wonder why they positioned the singing block right next to the home bit. Didn't seem the wisest move.

• @eric_plant said:
    Well done for challenging him.

Indeed. Good for you @bigred87 . We all know it happens but it is always shocking when you actually witness it.

• @bigred87 said:
    I was sat next to segregation (unfortunately, full of clowns) through out the game a black steward was telling people to calm down and towards the end of the game a moron behind me shouted at him "fuck off you golliwog" I turned and challenged him and to my surprise a black guy was stood near him and was also challenging him. I've give a statement to the police etc.....

Good on you chief.

• Good on you @bigred87 and anyone else who challenged this fan. Certainly doesn't sound like they'll be getting away with it.

• edited September 2021

Good stuff Big Red. Was that the guy frogmarched out along the back fairly early?

Even game really, with a poor ref who let a lot of bizarre fouls go, and liked to play the non existent advantage before giving a foul the wrong way a few times. He missed what looked a pretty certain penalty for them in the first half as well from where I was sat.

McCleary was the shining light today, the fitter we keep him the better we'll do. Personally I prefer us with wing backs, I think it suits Obita more, gives McCleary and Horgan/ Mehmeti/Hanlan more freedom and let's Scowen do what he does best and break up play, he's not the best in the final third. McCarthy on the bench makes me hopeful that will return, it's good to have options though, and a draw away at Oxford is good so long as we beat them at home.

• @Username said:
    Good stuff Big Red. Was that the guy frogmarched out along the back fairly early?

Even game really, with a poor ref who let a lot of bizarre fouls go, and liked to play the non existent advantage before giving a foul the wrong way a few times. He missed what looked a pretty certain penalty for them in the first half as well from where I was sat.

McCleary was the shining light today, the fitter we keep him the better we'll do. Personally I prefer us with wing backs, I think it suits Obita more, gives McCleary and Horgan/ Mehmeti/Hanlan more freedom and let's Scowen do what he does best and break up play, he's not the best in the final third. McCarthy on the bench makes me hopeful that will return, it's good to have options though, and a draw away at Oxford is good so long as we beat them at home.

McCarthy being back on the bench was a very welcome surprise.

• This was towards the end of the game, he was arrested as he walked out....

• @bigred87 said:
    This was towards the end of the game, he was arrested as he walked out....

Think I spotted that, didn't see the offense but glad it was reported. You could see a steward was fuming and it looked like the guy was spoken to but thought he could just hide in the crowded area and it would be forgotten but there was a lot of chatting and pointing from the stewards and police at the front.

Think the Oxford stewards did a pretty good job today, I came in late and they were moving people out who weren't in the right places pretty quickly, not that they deserve abuse either way.

• @bigred87 said:

Was it a recognisable "face" from Wycombe games?

• @bigred87 said:

Well done for your actions. Mind blown. I’m sure the same idiot was cheering on Bayo, GMac, etc etc throughout the game. Their tiny brains just don’t get it and then people wonder why taking a knee is still relevant.

• It’s truly hard to believe that in the year 2021 with all that has gone on with regards to BLM, taking the knee etc some moron still says something like that. I hope he’s banned for life.

• @glasshalffull said:
    It’s truly hard to believe that in the year 2021 with all that has gone on with regards to BLM, taking the knee etc some moron still says something like that. I hope he’s banned for life.

It's probably the sort of thing that could get him sacked as well if the police properly pursue it.

• Well done @bigred87 it is great to see someone stand up and be counted in order to stamp this out once and for all. Hope the guilty person gets banned for life and the police take the appropriate action.
    Really sad that someone acting as a WWFC supporter did such a thing. Let it be said, he or she is not a true supporter of our great club as we are totally against racism.

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:
    It’s truly hard to believe that in the year 2021 with all that has gone on with regards to BLM, taking the knee etc some moron still says something like that. I hope he’s banned for life.

It's probably the sort of thing that could get him sacked as well if the police properly pursue it.

I hear people say that tracking people down to their workplace and impacting their employment is draconian but what is it going to take to rid us of this sh1t? Plus if he is a dyed in the wool racist maybe his employer should know in case it impacts his judgment there. Consequences have to be seen