Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• @StrongestTeam said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@drcongo said:
    I agree @Quarterman - I’m astonished he’s not found a club yet

Sometimes the player is just not hungry to get back involved again. Might be enjoying life away from the game.

I'm all for the £5 is better than £0 argument and players need to play but if you were on £30k a week or whatever it is you might not want to jump into at least 6 months on a lot less if you think others are still interested.

Football moves so quickly though, you can easily get forgotten about.
    You'd surely want to get in somewhere pretty quickly, and just sign for a short time if needs be, then back yourself. Rather than wait 6months for a 2 year deal that might not come.

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@drcongo said:

Sometimes the player is just not hungry to get back involved again. Might be enjoying life away from the game.

I'm all for the £5 is better than £0 argument and players need to play but if you were on £30k a week or whatever it is you might not want to jump into at least 6 months on a lot less if you think others are still interested.

You'd surely want to get in somewhere pretty quickly, and just sign for a short time if needs be, then back yourself. Rather than wait 6months for a 2 year deal that might not come.

I agree but the gap between what we might want to pay now and what a Mid placed Championship team might be prepared to pay if one of their wingers suddenly get injured could be huge.

• Surprised to discover that Kadeem has played fewer than 200 league games over the past decade, 81 over the past two seasons for the Owls ?

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@drcongo said:

I agree but the gap between what we might want to pay now and what a Mid placed Championship team might be prepared to pay if one of their wingers suddenly get injured could be huge.

Yep, it'll be a game of brinkmanship, but a risky one. Our own Anthony S, would testify to that, having in effect wasted a season a few years ago.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Not like you to be disappointed with transfer activity @davecz

Not disappointed at all with our transfer activity but think we need one or two more to challenge.

• @micra said:
    Surprised to discover that Kadeem has played fewer than 200 league games over the past decade, 81 over the past two seasons for the Owls ?

Yeah, long periods out of favour at Cardiff I believe, and even when he did get into the team and play a blinder he’d get dropped again. Very odd.

• I tend to agree with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub. Some players, who have basically earnt more in a few years than most of us are likely to earn in a lifetime, will surely question whether all the hard work, travel and disruption to their personal lives is worth it to kick a football around now and then (and get kicked about probably) and get dog's abuse online and possibly in person for being old/past it/not interested enough/etc for a 10th or whatever of the earnings they used to get paid for doing the same thing.

Equally, I'm sure there are some players released who are still hungry to play (or need the money) and are grateful of the opportunity to get any money to do something they love. My bet is however that these are the ones that will relatively quickly find clubs and if there are any of those that fill any holes that GA thinks we still have, I'm sure we may soon be expanding our squad...

• New midfielder signs, assuming one for developmental squad.

• https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/september/adam-leathers-signs/

"He earned his debut in senior football in the 3-1 win at Grimsby Town in the EFL Trophy last term, and - like Fischer - featured for the Blues in last week’s development squad friendly against Maidenhead."

Who's Fischer? That name was originally in the article, but they've removed it. Whoopsie. Another one incoming so.

• I think it's Klaus Fischer. Che will be in raptures.

• Midfielder JB Fischer was a midfielder at Georgetown University, Pete's Alma Mater, Pete still keeps an eye on them in his socials. More likely than Viktor Fischer at Royal Antwerp!

• @niebieski said:
    Midfielder JB Fischer was a midfielder at Georgetown University, Pete's Alma Mater, Pete still keeps an eye on them in his socials. More likely than Viktor Fischer at Royal Antwerp!

8 games in 2 years at college, born in France, not sure that gets you a work permit these days

• Yeah JB Fischer looks similar to the guy who was lining up in the squad photos on the WWFC YouTube video.

Seems to have French ancestry so presume he can navigate the work permit issue through that route.

• @JohnBoy said:

New midfielder signs, assuming one for developmental squad.

No relation to the old Hayes Centre half Reg Leather ?
    He didn't take prisoners !!

• JB Fischer signs.... Like we didn't already know ??

• @Croider said:
    Yeah JB Fischer looks similar to the guy who was lining up in the squad photos on the WWFC YouTube video.

Seems to have French ancestry so presume he can navigate the work permit issue through that route.

I would have thought that an ex PSG youth captain was good enough credentials.

• As JB is 23 then I presume this is one of our senior player slots taken?

• @wwfcblue said:
    As JB is 23 then I presume this is one of our senior player slots taken?

Not if we don’t register him as a squad player

• edited September 2021

Updated squad list, two senior spots left

• @ReturnToSenda said:

It would be good to fill the last two places with senior free transfers. I know we are building for the future with the Development Squad but we do need to give us every chance this season.

• let's get Caroll signed up..perfect for us lol

• @davecz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It would be good to fill the last two places with senior free transfers. I know we are building for the future with the Development Squad but we do need to give us every chance this season.

Does each club have to officially name the senior squad players? No mention on whether JB will be or not. Just the appearance of Sam in the picture suggests development.

• Nick Freeman isn't in the squad photo. Hmm... Blooms in coaching gear - still registered as a player as far as I can tell but doesn't look like he'll feature unless we have an injury crisis (which, tbf, we probably will at some point).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Nick Freeman isn't in the squad photo. Hmm... Blooms in coaching gear - still registered as a player as far as I can tell but doesn't look like he'll feature unless we have an injury crisis (which, tbf, we probably will at some point).

No Linton either but that's understandable

• edited September 2021

I guess Covid would explain it, but there's been no word on anything.

• If he was getting treatment for his injury I expect that would take priority if it couldn't be moved

• I hope Leather heads and Fischer's athletic.

• @thedieharder said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Nick Freeman isn't in the squad photo. Hmm... Blooms in coaching gear - still registered as a player as far as I can tell but doesn't look like he'll feature unless we have an injury crisis (which, tbf, we probably will at some point).

No Linton either but that's understandable

I think admin reads the Gasroom!

• Scheduled treatment? Really feel for him. Waited for a chance, got it, was playing really well, would have had a decent run with Jason out, gets nailed.

• Tejay De Barr makes Anis look quite tall. Who is the player standing on Tafazolli’s right? Me and players’ heights, eh @Malone. Very important.