Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Match day thread: Aston villa U21 (EFL Trophy)

123457ยป

Comments

  • edited September 10

    It's a nuisance. You wouldn't put up with it in any other public setting, so why should a football ground be any different? If the club are serious about 'matchday experience', the drum needs to go - especially as things could soon turn from embarrassing to ugly.

  • Iโ€™m coming to this โ€˜ debateโ€™ late but couldnโ€™t someone speak to Tomโ€™s parents , for them to explain the issues to him and try and resolve it. Clearly itโ€™s in no oneโ€™s interest for this to escalate into something unsavoury. Apologies if this has already happened.

  • @davecz said:
    Iโ€™m coming to this โ€˜ debateโ€™ late but couldnโ€™t someone speak to Tomโ€™s parents , for them to explain the issues to him and try and resolve it. Clearly itโ€™s in no oneโ€™s interest for this to escalate into something unsavoury. Apologies if this has already happened.

    It's definitely been tried, the issues started really coming to a head when his dad stopped escorting him to games when he became an adult.

  • @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's a nuisance. You wouldn't put up with it in any other public setting, so why should a football ground be any different? If the club are serious about 'matchday experience', the drum needs to go - especially as things could soon turn from embarrassing to ugly.

    Yes, but a football stadium isn't just 'any other public setting' though, is it? Would you put up with hundreds or thousands of people chanting songs containing the f-word or c-word in any other public setting? I'm sure there are plenty of people who still find that offensive, but it continues to happen all the same.
    I have enormous sympathy with Tom in all of this, as he's a nice guy with good intentions. I've actually witnessed first-hand his state of mind when this situation came to a head before the lockdown, basically brought about by the bullying behaviour of a section of fans who know they can wind him up. I appreciate there are people who don't like or can't tolerate his drumming - I must be lucky because even when it gets repetitive or no-one's singing, I can very easily 'tune out'. When he's on form though, he can get the crowd going like no-one else.
    As for a long-term solution to this, I really don't know. I definitely wouldn't like to see drumming banned altogether though.

  • @NewburyWanderer said:

    @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's a nuisance. You wouldn't put up with it in any other public setting, so why should a football ground be any different? If the club are serious about 'matchday experience', the drum needs to go - especially as things could soon turn from embarrassing to ugly.

    Yes, but a football stadium isn't just 'any other public setting' though, is it? Would you put up with hundreds or thousands of people chanting songs containing the f-word or c-word in any other public setting? I'm sure there are plenty of people who still find that offensive, but it continues to happen all the same.
    I have enormous sympathy with Tom in all of this, as he's a nice guy with good intentions. I've actually witnessed first-hand his state of mind when this situation came to a head before the lockdown, basically brought about by the bullying behaviour of a section of fans who know they can wind him up. I appreciate there are people who don't like or can't tolerate his drumming - I must be lucky because even when it gets repetitive or no-one's singing, I can very easily 'tune out'. When he's on form though, he can get the crowd going like no-one else.
    As for a long-term solution to this, I really don't know. I definitely wouldn't like to see drumming banned altogether though.

    If that section of fans had genuinely tried to bully or wind him up, they situation would have come to a head long ago.

    I'm sure there have been a few idiots, especially before it blew up first time (and everyone then was informed of the whole situation), but saying the rest of the crowd is the problem, not the one person causing so many issues is obviously missing the point in order to be "nice".

  • @NewburyWanderer said:

    @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's a nuisance. You wouldn't put up with it in any other public setting, so why should a football ground be any different? If the club are serious about 'matchday experience', the drum needs to go - especially as things could soon turn from embarrassing to ugly.

    Yes, but a football stadium isn't just 'any other public setting' though, is it? Would you put up with hundreds or thousands of people chanting songs containing the f-word or c-word in any other public setting? I'm sure there are plenty of people who still find that offensive, but it continues to happen all the same.
    I have enormous sympathy with Tom in all of this, as he's a nice guy with good intentions. I've actually witnessed first-hand his state of mind when this situation came to a head before the lockdown, basically brought about by the bullying behaviour of a section of fans who know they can wind him up. I appreciate there are people who don't like or can't tolerate his drumming - I must be lucky because even when it gets repetitive or no-one's singing, I can very easily 'tune out'. When he's on form though, he can get the crowd going like no-one else.
    As for a long-term solution to this, I really don't know. I definitely wouldn't like to see drumming banned altogether though.

    You're right - that wasn't the best point on my part - but it is a nuisance nonetheless, and unlike mass effing and blinding, there is an easy solution (i.e. ban all instruments from the ground).

    The fact that a 'mediator' is deemed necessary says it all. It's an absolutely embarrassing situation which shouldn't still be rumbling on years later.

    As I say, I fear it's only a matter of time before it turns ugly - so why not nip it in the bud before it gets to that stage?

  • At least there shouldn't be a problem tomorrow - looks like Tom is heading north to the Winkeldrome with his Pompey supporting mates.

  • I came out of the Stevenage game, my head frazzled, thinking I don't want to go through that again, and should I stop going to away games. The chap next to me left early saying he couldn't take any more. As others have said, it's not so noticeable at AP if you are not on the terrace.

    It is a difficult and complicated problem, it needs a solution now, and I am grateful that the Club/Trust have stepped in to try and achieve that.

  • Having a quick scroll down his twitter, he seems to have reached the decision to not do Wycombe games (bar City) for a while.

    Shame it seems to be an all (drum) or nothing situation for him.
    Hopefully it sorts itself out in time and he can become a chanter, and get his enjoyment that way.

Sign In or Register to comment.