Skip to content

'The Wonder of Wycombe' series

Comments

• FFS! One of the couple of games where I bring away supporting friends along. Always booked Honours for that, but no longer available and am simply not paying £130 for Woodlands. So, got seats near me and wanted a car park place but now half the capacity taken with pyrotechnics - so no car park place, and no drink in bar after as we'll either watch fireworks or head off down Hillbottom Rd to wherever we parked. Let's hold off fireworks until it's dark and until then invest the money saved on real beer and knocking £2 of the price of pies and burgers. It's just embarrassing what we are charging for food - Cheltenham and Sunderland Kiosks were both very busy at £3 - £4 for a perfectly good burger.

• @Twizz The first question, surely, is where are Pompey? Already decided we're binning that one, presumably?

• To be fair, I don't think there's any mentions of fireworks specifically for the Charlton game. I would assume they would be saved for the winter games? Would be rather pointless having fireworks in the daylight.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    To be fair, I don't think there's any mentions of fireworks specifically for the Charlton game. I would assume they would be saved for the winter games? Would be rather pointless having fireworks in the daylight.

Was it dark when they had them after the Leicester game?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Was it dark when they had them after the Leicester game?

Sunset was at 20:58. Looks a bit darker than it's likely to be at 5pm after the Charlton game, where sunset will be at 19:10.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/matches/fixtures/first-team/202122/july2/-vs-wycombe-wanderers-on-28-jul-21/#report

• @ReturnToSenda I wasn't at the Leicester game, so really not sure. Would seem rather a waste to have fireworks in daylight. And I also take your point about going against the clubs green ethos. Families do tend to enjoy fireworks though. I know my little girl loved them after the Ipswich game a couple of years back.

• Interesting marketing concept and also interesting why they have picked mostly bigger matches that may have attracted higher crowds anyway.
    Not sure the campaign is aimed at me but as long as I don't get asked to dress up in anything I am happy to see sone fireworks.

• you are @Right_in_the_Middle . You're requested to "wear your oldest Wycombe shirt to demonstrate how long you’ve been following the club". I know you're a very long-term supporter. Does it still fit?!

• @our_frank said:
    you are @Right_in_the_Middle . You're requested to "wear your oldest Wycombe shirt to demonstrate how long you’ve been following the club". I know you're a very long-term supporter. Does it still fit?!

Unfortunately the age an adult male should be allowed to wear a football passed years ago for me and I don't have a single Wycombe shirt that would fit. Oldest or otherwise. Maybe if they do that gimmick at a game in April I might have time for a fitness push

• No-one should be allowed to wear a shirt unless they have played for the club, its as simple as that. Youth Team caps qualify you for a polo shirt. Wycombe Wanderers Lions doesn't count.

• Post match fireworks = more fans staying around = increased bar sales + car park lock down ‘issue’ dissipated by ‘enhanced game day entertainment’.

• Back in the days before replica shirts were a thing the club shop at Loakes Park used to order in a batch of navy (possibly Oxford) blue sweaters with an embroidered WWFC crest. The moth holes in them should make them suitably fashionable and I’m sure they’ll stretch a bit…

• I might have to tie my very faded Wanderers satin scarf from the '70s, to my wrist.

• My mum ironed a hole in my first Wycombe shirt (93..12yo) so bought me a 98 edition which years later I gave to a mate in the Philippines. I believe he still wears it regularly. Worldwide Wycombe Phenomenon

• edited September 2021

If I ever get "too old" to wear a Wycombe shirt I think I'd pack it all in!

• I’ve gone through the age where wearing a club football shirt would cause embarrassment and come steaming out the other side like the Mallard on a 100 mph run whoo whoo

• Who cares? If you want to wear one, wear one. Simple as.

• @Steve_Peart you would also have to shave your head, get one of those black jackets with the tartan lining, some braces, and some wide legged short length trousers which come half-way up your Doc Martens, to complete the look...

• @LeedsBlue, I do have a Harrington jacket with the tartan lining, but I was never a skinhead. I'm glad you didn't suggest a Bay City Rollers theme!

As for shirts, I may dig out the 94-95 one with the white 'V' neck insert and very thick material, feels like wearing cardboard. I am very jealous of anyone owning an original 80s plain blue shirt, very smart.

• @Steve_Peart I've got that late 80s shirt, smart yes, but very uncomfortable, long sleeves as well which makes it worse. First WWFC replica shirt to go on sale I believe. Can't see myself wearing it again.
    I was thinking, which Wycombe shirts are hardly ever seen now, home or away? I've got the AC Milan style away from the mid 90s. Don't know whether it still fits though.

• Gasroom legend Eddie Monsoon 'sold' me my plain light blue shirt (it was a pre-order thing, i recall) - from the old Loakes Park hut. I should've got him to sign it! As with @NewburyWanderer it no longer fits, and nor does my green 'Carlisle' one.

I don't seem to see many Tomato Soup shirts, even though we clinched promotion in it, and it's relatively recent...

• I do have the old light blue one somewhere. Sadly now with a hole in the sleeve from the iron. From memory the material wasn’t that great

• You rarely see anyone wearing the 2004/05 away shirt. It was yellow body, royal blue arms. It wasn't particularly a pleasant design, and just brings back memories of Clint Easton !! And how he ever managed to make premiership appearences.

• edited September 2021

I've never seen the 89-90 Umbro one in the wild

• Too old to wear a Wycombe shirt !!! Never . My missus knows that when the time comes, my Verco shirt is what I have to be dressed in when they put me in the box to head off into the great beyond. Added bonus, if, as I suspect, hell turns out to be a certain 3 sided stadia with an OX postcode I can spend the rest of eternity p!$$ing off the locals.

• I am easily pleased when watching football, all I need somewhere to park, easy access to a drink on arrival and a quick getaway at the end of the game. To see a successful team achieve promotion this year is all I desire. I understand the need to expand the customer experience for those more demanding than me. I wish the club all the best with this ambitious experiment and hope the season goes well with new supporters being attracted to Adams Park.

• That's two of us @davebevan I know why they are doing it and I wish them luck but a lot of it isn't for me. I suppose that is because am already being attracted to AP, don't bring kids and don't need that much to be relatively happy.

• Have you thought about rounding up a few kids on your way to the ground and bringing them with you @Wendoverman? It's no wonder the club is having to come up with schemes like this with fans like you not pulling their weight.

• @drcongo said:
    Have you thought about rounding up a few kids on your way to the ground and bringing them with you @Wendoverman? It's no wonder the club is having to come up with schemes like this with fans like you not pulling their weight.

'will yer take this drum and these flares in for us mister?'

• @Steve_Peart said:
    I might have to tie my very faded Wanderers satin scarf from the '70s, to my wrist.

Comes to something when even a scarf no longer fits.

On the age thing, one of our oldest fans (late eighties) still sports a reasonably recent replica shirt and, up to early season 2019-20 at least (haven’t observed them yet this season) mahogany bronzed legs.
    On the same table in the Woodland Lounge at that time was a gentleman who still plays cricket for Bucks Over 70s. You’ll be fine for at least another 30 - 40 years @Malone !