Skip to content

High Wycombe win the Home Counties Premier League

2»

Comments

• @floyd said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@A_Worboys said:
    A great achievement by HWCC & well deserved. I hope they can wear their one day kit on the day as it’s light & dark blue. The club is a lot older than the Wanderers, dating back to 1823 so the year after next will be their bicentenary. And it’s great to have other local sports clubs involved with the Wanderers.

Is this why we play in Oxford and Cambridge blue? Is there a connection between the two clubs?

Our light and dark blue comes from Oxford and Cambridge Universities.

But why did we choose it? Doesn't seem to have any connection to Wycombe.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@floyd said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@A_Worboys said:
    A great achievement by HWCC & well deserved. I hope they can wear their one day kit on the day as it’s light & dark blue. The club is a lot older than the Wanderers, dating back to 1823 so the year after next will be their bicentenary. And it’s great to have other local sports clubs involved with the Wanderers.

Is this why we play in Oxford and Cambridge blue? Is there a connection between the two clubs?

Our light and dark blue comes from Oxford and Cambridge Universities.

But why did we choose it? Doesn't seem to have any connection to Wycombe.

I think (and I’m very happy to be corrected) the club was founded by Oxbridge graduates.

• @floyd, the club was founded by working class lads but they adopted the Varsity colours for reasons which are not clear.

Our best source for the colours is the Bucks Standard on 15 December 1893:

"For the first time, the Wycombe Wanderers appeared in their true colours - Oxford and Cambridge blue - last Saturday, each member wearing a new shirt."

'First time' meant that season.

• Wycombe Hockey Club also plays in Dark and Light Blue.
    Its' good of the Wanderers to recognise the cricket club's achievement but the BFP will have to use the word "cricket" if there is a report on it which will be very hard for them.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    @floyd, the club was founded by working class lads but they adopted the Varsity colours for reasons which are not clear.

Our best source for the colours is the Bucks Standard on 15 December 1893:

"For the first time, the Wycombe Wanderers appeared in their true colours - Oxford and Cambridge blue - last Saturday, each member wearing a new shirt."

'First time' meant that season.

Thanks Steve, i'd love to know why. i guess we never will!

• Interestingly High Wycombe Rugby club formed decades after those other sporting clubs, chose not to wear the light and dark blue that was adopted by the Towns clubs, but chose a garish Green,black and white monstrosity. That's another reason they are a complete irrelevance to me, along with it being an incredible tedious past time, that skill and fitness is not an ingredient that many participants need to display.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Interestingly High Wycombe Rugby club formed decades after those other sporting clubs, chose not to wear the light and dark blue that was adopted by the Towns clubs, but chose a garish Green,black and white monstrosity. That's another reason they are a complete irrelevance to me, along with it being an incredible tedious past time, that skill and fitness is not an ingredient that many participants need to display.

Never played the game then?

• Only when made to at School, Not sure if playing was marginally less enjoyable than watching the borefest.

• In the 1950s the Rugby club morphed from The Old Wycombiensians (RGS Old Boys). So when it charged to be an open club with a name change new colours were chosen, not at all like the school colours. Why green. black and white? Probably someone can explain if there was a reason. I was on Kingsmead today and there are more pitches laid out with posts than ever.

• It was good to see HWCC get some very generous applause, they clearly enjoyed their day. We look after our own in Wycombe!