Skip to content

Match day thread: Aston villa U21 (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• I have it on very good authority that senior management within the club are only too aware of the drummer issue. Watch this space.

• @Malone I think we both know I'm a complete tit, but thank you anyway!

• How deafened do I have to be in the Beechdean to make a compo claim on Rob's cash? I'm quite keen to retire early.

• Sadly I'm afraid it's got to the point where the club have to ban ALL drums. Most Premier League clubs have already done this on H & S advice.

• I don't see why the club couldn't ban one drum and not the other. Being the stadium drummer is a privilege, not a right.

• It's only fair in this age of equality that they ban all drums, or mandate that everyone in the stadium must bring one. That would bring a whole new meaning to the mantra of rock n roll football!

• edited September 2021

A fairly simple solution could be to ban Tom from the terrace (transfer his ticket to another stand), and only allow drums in the terrace....

That way we keep the helpful drum, and don't have to ban a passionate fan.

• I'm told he's going to have a 'mediator' standing next to him at home games. Not sure I can see that working myself. It's such an embarrassing situation and I think a permanent ban (of the drum and/or drummer) is inevitable.

• edited September 2021

@YorkshireBlue said:
    It's only fair in this age of equality that they ban all drums, or mandate that everyone in the stadium must bring one. That would bring a whole new meaning to the mantra of rock n roll football!

Can we all bring metal bin lids and turn it into the biggest ever performance of STOMP?

• Ban the drum and offer the drummer a free seat with some hospitality thrown in.
    The increased number of spectators will more than pay for it.

• The only fair solution is a full ban on drums at AP. It doesn’t solve the away game issue, but it’s a start.

• He'll bring a recorder. Then you'll be sorry.

• I could bring a Funktion One sound system and a Roland TR-909? Keeps time pretty good.

• I'd have thought the obvious solution, rather than banning drums outright, is simply to issue permits to bring them into the ground. These can then be monitored / revoked, and behaviour that is obviously detrimental or anti-social can be policed. It would also mean that lapsed and future drummers wouldn't be prevented from joining.

I've still got a headache from the Stevenage game.

• @Glenny said:
    I'd have thought the obvious solution, rather than banning drums outright, is simply to issue permits to bring them into the ground. These can then be monitored / revoked, and behaviour that is obviously detrimental or anti-social can be policed. It would also mean that lapsed and future drummers wouldn't be prevented from joining.

I've still got a headache from the Stevenage game.

Some away clubs only allow a single drum, and it has to be previously arranged.
    Portsmouth for one.

Maybe a mix of your idea and that.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm told he's going to have a 'mediator' standing next to him at home games. Not sure I can see that working myself. It's such an embarrassing situation and I think a permanent ban (of the drum and/or drummer) is inevitable.

The mind boggles.
    Is that someone whispering a pep talk in his ear every so often?
    Or turns around and gives it a "ease it down" or "thumbs up" gesture.

Wonder what lucky pup gets that job.

• @Glenny said:
    I'd have thought the obvious solution, rather than banning drums outright, is simply to issue permits to bring them into the ground.

Sounds like a way to make a bad situation worse.

• It's all happening on the terrace isn't it?

• @Wendoverman Time for you to come on over, Sir. I'm sure there's a place for you in Old Git Corner.

• @our_frank said:
    @Wendoverman Time for you to come on over, Sir. I'm sure there's a place for you in Old Git Corner.

I thought I was already in Old Git Stand...people in a corner wrestling a drummer might be too much for me. A lady loudly shouting 'Come on Wycombe!' gets on my nerves.

• @Wendoverman said:

@our_frank said:
    @Wendoverman Time for you to come on over, Sir. I'm sure there's a place for you in Old Git Corner.

I thought I was already in Old Git Stand...people in a corner wrestling a drummer might be too much for me. A lady loudly shouting 'Come on Wycombe!' gets on my nerves.

Ahh that one in the main stand. Had one of those lockdown games quite close to her and it was utterly insufferable.

• I'm very uncomfortable with the sheer volume of public comments about what seems to be quite a vulnerable individual. A lot of it looks lot like bullying in my opinion.

I hope he has some good people supporting him.

Personally I'd sooner have him at games someone who refuses to attend games because of a drum

• Is someone who attends games but refuses to stand or sit next to two hours of out of time din okay?

• Ban supporters from bringing in instruments totally. Easy.

And then the club can get a New Orleans blues band in the safe standing area to create a vibey atmosphere.

And get the Ohio State marching band for half time on the top field

• @eric_plant said:
    I'm very uncomfortable with the sheer volume of public comments about what seems to be quite a vulnerable individual. A lot of it looks lot like bullying in my opinion.

Personally I'd sooner have him at games someone who refuses to attend games because of a drum

Unfortunately he has well meaning but entirely unhelpful people encouraging him rather than supporting him, that's the crux of the problem, no one that he listens to is willing to tell him that he needs to consider others/ not just smash the drum for 90 minutes.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Ban supporters from bringing in instruments totally. Easy.

And then the club can get a New Orleans blues band in the safe standing area to create a vibey atmosphere.

And get the Ohio State marching band for half time on the top field

Get Adams Apple back in

• @eric_plant said:
    I'm very uncomfortable with the sheer volume of public comments about what seems to be quite a vulnerable individual. A lot of it looks lot like bullying in my opinion.

For obvious reasons this doesn't usually affect me much.

I do have considerable sympathy for Eric's view but then again on a restricted (1/3 length behind goal) terrace with no option to move away at Exeter, honestly the drum did quite severely affect my enjoyment of what was already a pretty dire game, so I have sympathy for the affected terrace goers too.

Really difficult one for the club to resolve at home games let alone away. Glad I don't have to deal with this one.

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

@our_frank said:

Ahh that one in the main stand. Had one of those lockdown games quite close to her and it was utterly insufferable.

In case it upsets anyone, she is a regular supporter and I am far enough away so that it does not mean I would refuse to come to games.

• There's always been a rowdy gang in the terrace and that's accepted, you can move away etc.

But a constant drum being banged to oblivion is quite something different for anyone who is regularly around it.
    Luckily at home games you can barely hear it from the Frank Adams, which is why I'm probably less concerned than many others who have posted.
    But the fact occasional supporters have popped on and specifically mentioned it as a problem surely shows this isn't just "bullying".

• @Malone said:
    There's always been a rowdy gang in the terrace and that's accepted, you can move away etc.

But a constant drum being banged to oblivion is quite something different for anyone who is regularly around it.
    Luckily at home games you can barely hear it from the Frank Adams, which is why I'm probably less concerned than many others who have posted.
    But the fact occasional supporters have popped on and specifically mentioned it as a problem surely shows this isn't just "bullying".

The "bullying" claims don't help the situation either as it just makes Tom think he's in the right and that is just "a load of bullies" not people with genuine and valid complaints.

If anyone really wanted to bully Tom off the terrace it would already have happened, and the longer it drags on, the more likely that scenario happens as people lose patience