Skip to content

Glyn Creaser suffers cardiac arrest during benefit match

edited September 2021 in Football

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the mighty Crease is stable in hospital after suffering cardiac arrest during a benefit game on Sunday. Wishing him all the very best for a full and speedy recovery. Utter legend.

Comments

• Glyn Creaser was the first Wycombe player who ever spoke to me, and a lovely bloke he is too. Get well soon sir.

• Bloody hell, awful news. Hope he gets better quickly

• edited September 2021

Get well soon Glyn!

• He was a real giant and did exceptionally well to recover from that serious work related foot injury.
    Remember chatting to him by the touchline, during his recovery, as he complimented a Terry Evans performance. A gracious gentleman.
    Hope he recovers well, remarkable to still be playing at 62!

• One of my favourite memories of Glyn was in the Vere Suite after we got back from Wembley and beating Kiddy in '91. He went round the whole room shaking everybody's hand and thanked them. A veritable gentleman.

• Illustrates how far we've come that within the time i've supported the club we had a key player out with an injury sustained at work.

Get well soon Glyn.

• An absolute colossus of a centre half, who gave 100% of every minute he played in a Wanderers shirt.
    Get well soon Glyn.

• A hero of mine as a teenager. Lifting our Cups. Hope you recover soon G

• Glyn took a particular shine to mrs micra at one of those social evenings in the Vere Suite about thirty years ago. Great photo of them (black and white, I think!) tucked away somewhere.
    Hope you make a good recovery, Glyn.

• Absolute colossus of a defender and one of those ‘statement of intent’ signings (even if he had to serve a suspension with us after lamping Sir Mark West three days before signing for us).

All the best Glyn.

• Well before my time in Bucks but I include my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• All the best Glyn a great defender for us

• Hey kids in the old days you could sit in a seat that dangled you (what felt like) 6' in the air in front of the main stand at Loakes Park. I was sat in the very seats near the tunnel when Creaser was sent off for hitting Mark West when playing against us. I gave him loads of abuse from quite a close location. And then he signed for us a couple of days later.
    Wycombe legend.

• A Wycombe legend indeed.

All the best for a quick recovery Glyn.

• All the best to Glyn. A real leader and someone who'd have fitted right in with the Ainsworth ethos.

Came across as a very decent guy. I remember a story of him spending time at the side of the pitch chatting to a very elderly fan in a wheelchair in amongst the celebrations of our Trophy win at Wembley in 91. He was moved by the sheer effort the gentleman had made just to attend the match and felt that spending some time chatting to him was the least he could do in return.

I also well remember that now legendary sending off at Loakes Park. Martin O'Neill was the only Wycombe man in the ground desperate for him not to be sent off, knowing full well he was about to sign him!

• I loved Creaser as a player, and particularly his amazing comeback in the 93/94 season to lead us to play-off glory. But not being a frequenter of the bars, lounges or social evenings, I am particularly struck by these discussions of what a lovely and utterly decent man he is; you wouldn't necessarily expect that from his uncompromising playing style (or lamping of Mark West!).

I really hope he makes a rapid recovery.

• Shocking news indeed, get well soon Glyn.

• John D Taylor's update shows just how serious the situation was.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/september/get-well-soon-glyn/

• @Wycombe85 said:
    All the best to Glyn. A real leader and someone who'd have fitted right in with the Ainsworth ethos.

Came across as a very decent guy. I remember a story of him spending time at the side of the pitch chatting to a very elderly fan in a wheelchair in amongst the celebrations of our Trophy win at Wembley in 91. He was moved by the sheer effort the gentleman had made just to attend the match and felt that spending some time chatting to him was the least he could do in return.

I also well remember that now legendary sending off at Loakes Park. Martin O'Neill was the only Wycombe man in the ground desperate for him not to be sent off, knowing full well he was about to sign him!

I think he was signed by Jim Kelman wasn't he? Year or two before Martin took over.

But good to hear another story of what a top bloke he is as well as a colossus in defence.

• @MindlessDrugHoover I was wondering that myself, but I'm sure I remember an interview in which O'Neill was describing the Creaser sending off and how he was alone amongst the Wycombe fans who were baying for a red card, having the realisation he was on the verge of signing a player who would now be suspended for 3 matches? Perhaps it was Kelman and my memory has swapped the 2!

• @Wycombe85 said:
    @MindlessDrugHoover I was wondering that myself, but I'm sure I remember an interview in which O'Neill was describing the Creaser sending off and how he was alone amongst the Wycombe fans who were baying for a red card, having the realisation he was on the verge of signing a player who would now be suspended for 3 matches? Perhaps it was Kelman and my memory has swapped the 2!

He went on the transfer list after Kelman 'resigned*' as the directors wouldn't give Glyn a better contract. Strangely enough, the minute Martin turned up that problem went away......

• Nothing to do with being beaten 3-1 by the Met police at all....