Skip to content

Comments

• I'm sure Wenger didn't used to have these crackpot ideas before he wound up at FIFA. Someone please give him a job back in management - now!

• There are increasingly two types of people in football, those paying to keep it going and those taking the cash.

The consultation with the latter group will be long and complicated and fall entirely dependent on who will earn more and be greased accordingly.

The consultation with 99.99% of the former group will take seconds and result in a swift "no, it's a fkn stupid idea, don't be so greedy"

• If anything there should be a heck of a lot less international stuff, not more!

• @Malone said:
    If anything there should be a heck of a lot less international stuff, not more!

For sure - every eight years would work for me!

• Every four years is clearly the way forward, but seeing as it is crazy season how about allowing the U21 sides of the top nations to play in some of the qualification rounds of the minor federations?

• @Ed_ said:
    Every four years is clearly the way forward, but seeing as it is crazy season how about allowing the U21 sides of the top nations to play in some of the qualification rounds of the minor federations?

And that definitely wouldn't lead to B teams playing in our league......

• @Shev said:

@Malone said:
    If anything there should be a heck of a lot less international stuff, not more!

For sure - every eight years would work for me!

It’d probably be the kiss of death for me and a substantial number of other Wycombe fans !

• If FIFA are going to try and give it to as many countries with no football history but plenty of cash for bribes and easy access to slave labour during an open and honest bidding procedure as possible, every two years is a great idea.

• I think you’ll find that in 2016 FIFA took the brave decision to elect a president that has insignificantly fewer allegations of impropriety against him than the last

• Insignificantly?

• Why do new consultations like this try and pretend football is on its knees with phrases like "there needed to be a "fundamental" rethink around the international calendar" and "it is a way to make global football strong."

What the fuck are they talking about? International / global / continental football is the world's largest and most lucrative sport. The World Cup is the most watched sporting event globally, the Champions League is more popular than its ever been, and the Premier League too.

The same language was used by proponents of the ESL - alluding to the idea that football is on some rapid downward trajectory and has never been so unpopular.

• It's generally code for "we've identified some ways in which some already hugely wealthy people can make even more money out of the game, at the expense of fans."

• Like most big organisations and governments they look around to see what they can flog off or get rid of and how they and their mates can profit from same.

• The way these people justify their salaries is by growing business year on year. It isn’t enough for 2021 to be the biggest year on record, when it comes around 2022 has to be even bigger. Than that. Same with the economy, growth is in and of itself the one desirable thing, even if everthing else is going to pot.

• @micra said:
    Insignificantly?

After reading the allegations I couldn’t say significantly. It’s quite comical that after Blatters reign, Infantino was the best that they could find.

• Just watching the BBC series on the Premier League. I have to say very rich men grinning about shafting the FA and creating Monday Night Football purely for financial gain is grim watching.