Skip to content

'The Wonder of Wycombe' series

edited September 2021 in Football

Seems like a decent idea, but haven't we had enough fireworks displays now?

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/september/the-wonder-of-wycombe/

Comments

• Good to see we're doing our bit for the environment in a climate emergency ;)

• edited September 2021

@YorkshireBlue said:
    Good to see we're doing our bit for the environment in a climate emergency ;)

My thoughts exactly...

Also, imagine the grief we'll get if Charlton come and win 3-0 and we 'celebrate' by letting off a load of pretty pyro ?

• Rob likes fireworks

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@YorkshireBlue said:
    Good to see we're doing our bit for the environment in a climate emergency ;)

My thoughts exactly...

Also, imagine the grief we'll get if Charlton come and win 3-0 and we 'celebrate' by letting off a load of pretty pyro ?

Yes that would be awkward. To be fair the other bits sound good including the retro shirt day.

• Seen one set of fireworks, seen them all. Never get too excited about them tbh

• "the games you won’t want to miss above any other". I was looking forward to Burton and Wimbledon myself, but obviously I should have known better.

And, yeah, more fireworks. Wonder how many points will that get us in Planet Super League?

• "Wear your oldest Wycombe shirt". Hmm, not sure everyone needs to see my somewhat expanded middle-age girth creeping out between shirt and belt line.

• God, you lot been hit by the misery stick on international weekend? The kids will likely enjoy it & they are the future.

• The only fireworks I'm interested in are the ones taking place on the pitch between 3 and, er, 5:03?

• edited September 2021

@EwanHoosaami said:
    God, you lot been hit by the misery stick on international weekend? The kids will likely enjoy it & they are the future.

Nah, would just rather the club didn't go against their push to be more eco-friendly - which they've made some positive moves with so far. The kids are the future - so all the more reason to choose a less environmentally-damaging form of 'entertainment'!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    God, you lot been hit by the misery stick on international weekend? The kids will likely enjoy it & they are the future.

Yeah, think you can appreciate that they are trying a few things to raise crowds, won't all work, or even affect most of us.

• Sounds like a great idea to me - well done to all involved and hope they see some good crowds.

• @EwanHoosaami Yes. Doubtless the kids would have enjoyed the strangely omitted Ipswich game, too, but many will be unfortunately absent.

• Our league record against Charlton is horrific, on a par with Coventry

• Well at least I can register for stupidly long trips for the Charlton game thanks to the engineering work and Chiltern Trains.

It’s a bit gimmicky for my taste (but I’m a miserable old git) so good luck and i suppose we should be pleased they are trying something new.

I hope however they don’t get disillusioned when they find the natural cynicism of the Great High Wycombe Public doesn’t buy into the inflated hype and expectations.

• Take a Wycombe fan to be upset at the mere thought of fireworks.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

I have some sympathy with this post. The Couhigs are doing their best to attract bigger crowds, especially younger fans. I don’t know why people denigrate these initiatives just because they don’t appeal to their own particular tastes. For every person who dislikes fireworks (I’m not a big fan myself) there might be 10 people who love them.

• @glasshalffull said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

I have some sympathy with this post. The Couhigs are doing their best to attract bigger crowds, especially younger fans. I don’t know why people denigrate these initiatives just because they don’t appeal to their own particular tastes. For every person who dislikes fireworks (I’m not a big fan myself) there might be 10 people who love them.

Exactly my thoughts. I don’t care about most of those initiatives, but if they appeal to others great, I’m not going to shit all over them.

• This actually sounds like a clever way to road-test the new operation in a high-capacity environment. A series of trial runs for the Couhig's "matchday experience" approach, allowing them to get used to a more intense matchday, without the added expectation that would come with a big Cup match, or Championship football in the hopefully near future.

I think it's a great idea.

• I’m not particularly upset about the fireworks. I think they could also dabble with light shows, particularly during the winter games. It’ll be something different to fireworks that could be fun to see. Light shows are quite popular in places like Disney (of course, we’re not an amusement park but you get the idea), especially when synchronised to some great music.

• Next week: 'Wycombe create world peace'

Fans: 'Shouldn't they be starting with issues closer to home, like transparency on injuries?'

• @glasshalffull said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

Just take it as a sign the team on the pitch look pretty decent.
    It's when that happens that people have to be creative in what they find a problem with.

• @Vincey said:
    Our league record against Charlton is horrific, on a par with Coventry

On the flip side, our league cup record vs Charlton (feat Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink) aint too shabby.

• Hold on, hold on a minute.

Where's Ipswich and Sunderland on that list? Are we saying that they're not worthy of the status "Wonder of Wycombe"?

That's going to upset a few people.

• @Ed_ said:

@Vincey said:
    Our league record against Charlton is horrific, on a par with Coventry

On the flip side, our league cup record vs Charlton (feat Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink) aint too shabby.

I googled this to find literal photographic evidence and I still don't believe that Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink ever played for Charlton.

• @Twizz said:
    Hold on, hold on a minute.

Where's Ipswich and Sunderland on that list? Are we saying that they're not worthy of the status "Wonder of Wycombe"?

That's going to upset a few people.

No, they're almost certainly saying they will sell well without the extra stuff and they can concentrate on getting people in and getting beer out quickly

• Nah @StrongestTeam, I'm pretty sure that the club is trying to wind up a few opposition supporters, ?

• @Shev said:
    Next week: 'Wycombe create world peace'

Fans: 'Shouldn't they be starting with issues closer to home, like transparency on injuries?'

Nearly choked on my Coke Zero...thanks @Shev ??

• Fireworks don't seem to hold the attraction they once did, certainly not where I live. If anyone has the temerity to let s firework off in my village, even on 5th November, local Facebook and Twitter go hyper with "How dare they?", "Totally inconsiderate", "My kids are trying to sleep", "My dog was so terrified it shat on the carpet", "My pony was so shocked it had a heart attack and fell down dead in its stable", and so on.

• ‘What's more, buying a Wonder of Wycombe package entitles you to priority booking status for high-demand away and cup matches.‘

I’d have thought this statement was far more problematic than anything about fireworks!