Skip to content

High Wycombe win the Home Counties Premier League

High Wycombe Cricket Club won the Home Counties Premier League today, beating Thame away on the final day of the regular season by 87 runs. Closest rivals Henley succumbed to a surprise home defeat to Finchampstead.

Thame’s defeat sees them relegated to Division Two, along with Tring Park. Slough & Wokingham are promoted from Division Two.

A great result for High Wycombe and hopefully the Wanderers can make it a double next April!

Comments

• What surprised me about this game was the number of spectators, no more than 30 at any one time. Even more surprising was the complete lack of wives and girlfriends. This game could not have been any more important for both teams. My previous visit here was much better attended.

The holiday season is largely over, it is the football season but Thame United were away in Margate. Thame has a lovely cricket ground, minutes away from a very attractive high street. This is the top level for club cricket and free to watch. These games are not well advertised or promoted, and it does seem that there is an acceptance by both the league administrators and the clubs, that cricket even at this high level is a playing sport, and not a spectator sport.

• Cricket posts surely belong in "non-football"

• As The Bucks Free Press writes absolutely nothing about sport other than The Wanderers it is small wonder that a match like this gets ignored. I wouldn't know if it was covered by Thame's local paper but the complete lack of interest in cricket this summer does the BFP no credit. Other sports will be starting up again shortly and I guess they won't get a look in either.

• @wingnut said:
    As The Bucks Free Press writes absolutely nothing about sport other than The Wanderers it is small wonder that a match like this gets ignored. I wouldn't know if it was covered by Thame's local paper but the complete lack of interest in cricket this summer does the BFP no credit. Other sports will be starting up again shortly and I guess they won't get a look in either.

They barely even write about WW - nothing there that you won't get from official club channels. They are incredibly stretched in terms of staffing, but what they do produce is fairly shocking nonetheless. Then again, local news is kind of dying in general.

• This week they have three whole pages with nine articles devoted to the Wanderers.
    That seems a generous amount of space for one football club by any standards and it has been like that for many months. The content may have come from the club but I am sure they would not object.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Cricket posts surely belong in "non-football"

Cricket posts are known as 'wickets'

• Stumps, please! Collectively a wicket.

• As in ‘out, hit wicket’.

• But surely, @micra, merely hitting the wicket isn't enough reason to be given out. Don't you have to dislodge a bail?

(That's the extent of my cricket knowledge. Howzat!)

• Good question @Twizz .

• @Twizz said:
    But surely, @micra, merely hitting the wicket isn't enough reason to be given out. Don't you have to dislodge a bail?

(That's the extent of my cricket knowledge. Howzat!)

Dislodge the stumps I think you mean. Unless the latest pyjama based version of the game allows for aerial attacks on the bowlers and interceptions. Might make it better. You know it's probably on a consultants notepad at Lord's.

• Whatever the correct terminology I'm not sure, but you do actually have to dislodge a bail, I think.
    Technically if middle stump is removed but somehow the bails stayed put it wouldn't be out?
    At least that's what I was lead to believe.

Sometimes you do see the ball hit the stumps and the bails move - usually a sort of upwards "jump" - and fall back into place. That's "Not Out".

Anyway I'm in danger of showing a deeper level of interest in cricket than I actually have so I'll leave you all with a question.

How many ways can you be given out in cricket?

(I don't know the answer so ...)

• @Twizz said:
    Whatever the correct terminology I'm not sure, but you do actually have to dislodge a bail, I think.
    Technically if middle stump is removed but somehow the bails stayed put it wouldn't be out?

Sometimes you do see the ball hit the stumps and the bails move - usually a sort of upwards "jump" - and fall back into place. That's "Not Out".

Anyway I'm in danger of showing a deeper level of interest in cricket than I actually have so I'll leave you all with a question.

Ah yeah, it is of course a load of old bails.

• @Twizz said:
    Whatever the correct terminology I'm not sure, but you do actually have to dislodge a bail, I think.

11 I believe but some would argue 10.

Quick quiz - name them!

• edited September 2021

1) Bowled (yes)
    2) LBW (yes)
    3) Caught (yes)
    4) Stumped (yes)
    5) Hit wicket
    6) Obstructing the field
    7) Deliberate double hit
    8) Run out (yes)
    9) Handled ball
    10) Timed out
    11) Retired out?

Along with ways I've been out this year

• Surely though if your retired hurt you can come back?

• @mooneyman "retired hurt" is not the same as "retired out". A batsman can, in effect, give his wicket away so someone else can bat by retiring out even if fit to continue batting. In that circumstance they couldn't return to the crease to bat later in the innings. As you say a batsman retired hurt, due to injury, could return to the crease later in the innings if necessary.

• I can only stand back and admire. You’ve been hiding your light under a bushel @Twizz !

I’m intrigued by “timed out”. I thought that only happened to me on here. Anyone know of any instances and what the criteria are ?

On obstructing the field, there was a coming together of an England batsman and an Indian bowler this afternoon (can’t remember the identity of either) as a sharp single was being taken. Didn’t realise he was at risk of being given out.

• I take no credit @micra, it's all down to what Google tells me.
    Turns out I knew 8 of the ways to be dismissed though and I had a sneaky feeling there was a fairly obscure one that many people might not know - retired out. Hence I had to look it up to find how it differed from retired hurt. Had to look this up too

Law 40 - Timed Out
    After the fall of a wicket or the retirement of a batsman, the incoming batsman must, unless Time has been called, be in position to take guard or for the other batsman to be ready to receive the next ball within 3 minutes of the dismissal or retirement. If this requirement is not met, the incoming batsman will be out.

https://www.lords.org/mcc/the-laws-of-cricket

• Thanks @Twizz. Crikey, 3 minutes is pretty tight, especially for some older club cricketers, although the distance from pavilion to crease on club grounds is generally shorter than at County grounds.

• I see that WWFC have made the very generous offer of inviting the High Wycombe Cricket Club team to parade the Home Counties Premier League trophy around the ground at the Charlton home game on September 18th.

A great achievement by HWCC & well deserved. I hope they can wear their one day kit on the day as it’s light & dark blue. The club is a lot older than the Wanderers, dating back to 1823 so the year after next will be their bicentenary. And it’s great to have other local sports clubs involved with the Wanderers.

• Totally agree, I think it's a great gesture by WWFC to have the cricket team parading the trophy. It's a high level of cricket they play at and a tremendous achievement. We have one of the leading club sides in the country, something the town should be very proud of alongside the Wanderers.

• It's really good to see the club reaching out and recognising other sporting achievement in the town. Well done to whoever at the Club or Trust took the lead on this. I hope the cricketers enjoy their day and have a good game to watch.

• Dave Finch tells me that the last player to have represented both clubs was Billy Hubbick, a Chairboy in the '80s. Others include Jackie Tomlin, John Hayter and Ted Beeson.

• As someone who plays in the Cherwell League (one of the feeder leagues for the HCPCL) and has played against a few of the High Wycombe players in age group cricket in my younger days, this is a crossover I never expected! My club will never play Home Counties cricket but it’s great to see High Wycombe rightfully praised for their excellence

• @A_Worboys said:
    A great achievement by HWCC & well deserved. I hope they can wear their one day kit on the day as it’s light & dark blue. The club is a lot older than the Wanderers, dating back to 1823 so the year after next will be their bicentenary. And it’s great to have other local sports clubs involved with the Wanderers.

Is this why we play in Oxford and Cambridge blue? Is there a connection between the two clubs?

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Dave Finch tells me that the last player to have represented both clubs was Billy Hubbick, a Chairboy in the '80s. Others include Jackie Tomlin, John Hayter and Ted Beeson.

Bob Dell represented Bucks, can't remember if he played for Wycombe.
    Something tells me Tim Barry a wide man who briefly played under Jim Kelman played a decent level of Cricket.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@A_Worboys said:

Is this why we play in Oxford and Cambridge blue? Is there a connection between the two clubs?

Our light and dark blue comes from Oxford and Cambridge Universities.