Skip to content

Isle of Sheppy v Marlow FC

Half time and IOS could & should be 2 up. 0-0 as it stands. A partisan home crowd giving the Marlow keeper plenty of abuse. A feisty match with only 3 bookings so far. Marlow have offered nothing in.an attacking sense, only a week header with 45 on the clock. Zero shots on target. Hoping for a better showing 2nd half. ??

Comments

• Must have listened to me or read this forum. Much more positive start to the 2nd half. Marlow upped the tempo and taken a lead.

• 88 gone and 1 Marlow player sent off! ?

• 6 minutes added time.

• You don’t exactly pick the easy options for a match to watch on a spare weekend @EwanHoosaami !

• I do when I'm getting paid for it! ? One of the benefits of being a multi tasker @micra

• BTW Marlow won but must have taken lessons from the WWFC of former years in the dark arts!

• Did Jack Midson play for Sheppey? Great result for Marlow, difficult place to go and Sheppey top of the SCE

• Saw a great game at York Road. Maidenhead United we’re 4-0 down at HT against Torquay but came out all guns blazing in the second half and got it back
    to 3-4. Couldn’t quite find the equaliser despite eight minutes stoppage time.

• I went to watch Clapton CFC away against AVA on a school playing field. Good game, and a very good win for Clapton given that AVA’s record since forming is
    WWWWWWWWWWLWWWWWWWWLWWL

• I’m pretty sure Maidstone United played Sheppey United in the Kent League soon after WW2 and, even as a young lad, I recall that they were a pretty tough bunch, as were Betteshanger CW and Snowdon CW.

Just before the turn of the century (19th that is), Sheppey only staved off insolvency as a result of an injection of cash (£100) from club members. In the early years of the 20th century, they played Southern League games against more than a dozen clubs now in the Football League/Premier League, including Brentford, Bristol Rovers, Bristol City, QPR, Millwall, Fulham, Tottenham, Reading, Swindon and WYCOMBE WANDERERS! The travelling arrangements must have been mind boggling.

That’s enough for now but the history of that club, dating back 150 years, seems pretty remarkable.

• Snowdown Colliery Welfare.

• Not the answer to my question!

• I've been to the Isle of Sheppey a few times... not a place for the faint hearted

• It really was a game of few chances & a lot of shithousery from Marlow. Not entertaining in any way shape or form. Marlow had 7 yellows plus 2 for the bench!
    A lady from the FA was there and commented that the officials were appalling, which in fairness they were. Think they bought every foul regardless of the theatricals which meant the game degenerated to the mess that it did. 398 plus a few were in attendance, can only imagine that some were there because of the international break and it was a nice day weather wise. TBF a lot of the fans must have been regulars as many had bought replica shirts and kits, also a lot of local families were there.
    Sheppy United FC have had a good injection of cash recently, most of which has gone into upgrading the ground and a brand new 4G pitch. @HolmerBlue is correct in that it isn't a place for the fainthearted & I have been on that island many times in the past for work.

• Aylesbury Vale Academy. Extraordinary sequence of results (without knowing anything about the competition, age group of opposition teams etc). The links took me into alien territory!

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I've been to the Isle of Sheppey a few times... not a place for the faint hearted

Maybe why they built three prisons there, a bit of a strange place..

• What all for me? I'm flattered!

• Jonathan Aitken did his porridge on the Isle of Sheppey.

• I saw Welsh International Sam Vokes ambling about in Marlow today...not in a bistro or with Chris Evans.

• Or in mustard corduroys.

• @Wendoverman said:
    ...not in a bistro or with Chris Evans.

Which one?

• Bistro or Evans?

• Which bistro was he NOT in? All of them. Which Chris Evans was he NOT with? Any of them.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Or in mustard corduroys.

He must have stuck out, like a bin man would at The last night of the proms !!

• Which pair of mustard corduroys was he not wearing?

• I’m guessing not many men in mustard cords in the bistros of the Isle of Sheppey.

• @micra said:
    I’m guessing not many men in mustard cords in the bistros of the Isle of Sheppey.

Didn't notice any @micra but then I may have been rather busy moving flesh and munching on my cheeseburger & chips!

• In your physio capacity, I assume?!