Skip to content

Spennymoor United

Whilst up in the North East on the eve of the Sunderland game. I took the opportunity of visiting Spennymoor's Brewery field stadium. I last visited here over 20 years ago, and I'm amazed at the improvements.
The playing surface is like a bowling green. I work with a chap who travelled to Spennymoor when the defeated us in the Amateur cup replay in 63/64.
He informed me the coaches travelled up overnight. Anyone else on here make that journey.

Comments

• Went overnight by coach to Evenwood Town & Blyth Spartans.

• edited August 2021

@A_Worboys said:
    Went overnight by coach to Evenwood Town & Blyth Spartans.

In 73-74, a few Gasroomers did those two trips. It's been discussed before but, I remember stumbling into the services on the A1, half asleep in the early hours of the morning. For Evenwood, we arrived in Bishop Auckland before anything was open and stayed there for the morning, then went onto the game.

A local gang at the game caused quite a bit of tension, I don't remember any trouble though. There was trouble at Blyth, in the town centre. I recall being chased out of Woolies by some locals.

• In 1896-97, for the FA Cup game at Norwich CEYMS, the team set out from Wycombe railway station at 8pm the previous evening. They lost 2-1.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    In 1896-97, for the FA Cup game at Norwich CEYMS, the team set out from Wycombe railway station at 8pm the previous evening. They lost 2-1.

No doubt @ChasHarps remembers it well!

• Today I visited Evenwood Towns Welfare ground in which Wanderers were 3-0 Victor's in 1974 in the Amateur Cup.
    The original Evenwood amalgamated with Spennymoor United, to become Spennymoor Town in 2005.
    An Evenwood Town is now back playing at the Welfare ground in the Crook and District lge. The main stand has gone, but floodlights still in place.
    I have photos of both the Brewery field at Spenny and the Welfare Ground, but would need advice on how to upload to this forum from my phone.

• My dad still talks about the Evenwood game, ‘Larry hits two as Blues storm on.’ I know my generation has seen some extraordinary things supporting Wycombe, but I’m quite jealous of those who were around then.

• I've not read it yet, but this seems a good place to plug Harry Pearson's The Farthest Corner, essentially revisiting the football landscape of The Far Corner, is now available in paperback.

• Love the "Far Side" humour!

• I am sure I remember a home cup tie against Crook Town and spent some time looking at the records to find it without success. If anyone can say when it was that would be interesting. I particularly remember it because of their tough-looking supporters who were miners we were told.

• I have looked at Crooks history and found the match this is what they say about it:-
    2 victory by the end of the game. "On 28th January 1950 Crook took 1,000 fans to an away Amateur Cup tie at Wycombe Wanderers. Crook lost the game 1-0 but an injury to Centre Forward Lockey seeing him limping around on the wing for the rest of the game giving Crook very little cutting edge up front."
    I am glad I found that

• @wingnut, on 28 January 1950,we beat Crook Town 1-0 at Loakes Park, in the Amateur Cup Second Round. Attendance was 10,087, including 1,000 from Crook. Jock McCallum scored the goal, with a lob 15 minutes from time.

• Thanks. I did find it after I wrote my first post. I was still at school and I remember there was a big following from Crook. A lot of them looked quite ferocious to me at least but there was no bother. That was the year we ended up at Brentford to lose 2-1 to Bishop Auckland. Crook Town may have had a player limping on the wing but from what I recall at Brentford we had two virtual passengers from quite early on. No subs in those days.

• I spent a day in Bishop Auckland last week,
    they are spending a lot of money on the castle.
    With our past history with these North East clubs, a pre season tour is long over due.
    Culminating in a game that will see the two light and dark blue Amateur giants meet again.