Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• 2 seasons ago people were lauding Freeman.

"He has to start"
    "That pass"
    "Our only creative midfielder"

What has changed? Perhaps not developed as we had hoped but certainly not got worse. Back at this level I think he is a more than useful squad player.

• I still rate him. Don’t see enough of him. I’m losing the argument.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    2 seasons ago people were lauding Freeman.

"He has to start"
    "That pass"
    "Our only creative midfielder"

What has changed? Perhaps not developed as we had hoped but certainly not got worse. Back at this level I think he is a more than useful squad player.

Think it's the term 'people'

Those who admire Freeman (me included) still do and always have without having to shout about it.

Those who aren't keen stay quiet until he does something wrong and leap on it.

The rumours of him moving on are as ludicrous as the ones about Stewart for me

• edited September 2021

He's silky, he's got quality on the ball, but very possibly just one of these guys who doesn't quite fit our "style". Not for long spells in the team anyway, at least until this point in time.

You can be silky and fit in, like McCleary. But McCleary is also an absolute pressing/physical beast off the ball too.

• I like Nick. Gareth must think he has a role to play. He was doing okay as the wing back until he got biffed.

• I agree. Nick is not a presser, bite yer ankles, take ‘em out (wine optional) kind of player which makes it sadly ironic that, from my distant perch in the Frank Adams at least, he did appear to have gone in quite hard himself.

• Could be worth another scouting trip down to Gibraltar tbh. Watched the U21s against Switzerland and a couple of players caught my eye including the midfielder/defender Bilal Douah, the forward Dylan Borge (seen by some in Gibraltar as a bigger prospect than Tjay) and the keeper Jaylan Hankins, who currently plays for Cordoba B but made a number of big saves to keep the score down to 4-0 (including a penalty save).

• “Dylan Borg(e).” Two Wycombe icons in one name. Essential acquisition.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    “Dylan Borg(e).” Two Wycombe icons in one name. Essential acquisition.

Would've had to wait until January at the earliest anyway. Has senior caps, and was one of the Gibraltar National League's top scorers last season, but still only 17 until October.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    “Dylan Borg(e).” Two Wycombe icons in one name. Essential acquisition.

Does he have a droopy moustache and swear a lot ??

• If it's accepted that we need another centre-back, what about Adrian Mariappa? Not signed on for anyone since his release from Bristol City, well acquainted with McCleary and Obita, I imagine, and (as @DevC would remind us) not earning anything at present. If fit, would provide experienced cover for Stewart and Tafazolli.

• Maybe we can reunite the 2016 Wales strike force and bring in Robson-Kanu.

• Interesting list of available free agents who would suit clubs with Championship aspirations...

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/championship-free-agents-bristol-city-5874649

• Andre Wisdom could be interesting, if we can ever forgive him for relegating us with his only goal for Derby

• Look no further than Connor Wycombe

• I'd love to see Jordon Ibe and Kadeem Harris return as our reserve wing backs.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Look no further than Connor Wycombe

I think he’s more likely to be Connor Preston.

• Kads was someone who I wanted to see us bring back. I’m sure he’ll find a club soon.

• Who is the more likely to return, Kadeem Harris or Jordan Ibe?

• Looking at the list of some of the players still without a club and you have to wonder why. Were some of them on huge contracts and don't have to rush, are some waiting for Madrid to come calling, are some just not really in love with football at the moment. But then you look at GMac and he seemed raring to go when he joined us (a little rusty sure). Plenty of good players still out there for sure

• Stats for Gibraltar u21 vs Switzerland u21. Despite letting in 4, Jaylan Hankins appears to have had a decent game.

• Had hoped we may have landed a free transfer or two in this international break. Think we are still short in a couple of positions if we have injuries to challenge at the top end. I suspect we are in the minority in the league who have not filled all their permitted squad numbers.

• @davecz said:
    Had hoped we may have landed a free transfer or two in this international break. Think we are still short in a couple of positions if we have injuries to challenge at the top end. I suspect we are in the minority in the league who have not filled all their permitted squad numbers.

We will know at 2pm today if we need or desperately need. McCarthy, Stewart and Gape back in the squad the need is less urgent.

• Not like you to be disappointed with transfer activity @davecz

• I really think Kadeem Harris would complete the squad. Could play wing back on either side. Pace and trickery. Would be a real statement we are looking for automatic promotion in my opinion.

• I agree @Quarterman - I’m astonished he’s not found a club yet

• @drcongo said:
    I agree @Quarterman - I’m astonished he’s not found a club yet

Sometimes the player is just not hungry to get back involved again. Might be enjoying life away from the game.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@drcongo said:
    I agree @Quarterman - I’m astonished he’s not found a club yet

Sometimes the player is just not hungry to get back involved again. Might be enjoying life away from the game.

I'm all for the £5 is better than £0 argument and players need to play but if you were on £30k a week or whatever it is you might not want to jump into at least 6 months on a lot less if you think others are still interested.

• These players are in a secondary market and will become very valuable to clubs clever enough to have left gaps.