Skip to content

Comments

• Let's hope this is the wake up call he needs and comes back mentality stronger.

• I agree with the Mehmeti conclusion but really annoyed that the bloke who smashed Nick Freeman’s knee with a reckless tackle is allowed to play on.

• Thoughts are with Luke O'Nien and his family at this trying time, as he recovers from the terrible blow inflicted to his shoulder that almost left a mark.

• It was a poor punch from the lad. Made contact with O'Nien's shoulder.

If you're getting 3 games for it you've got to make it count and properly chin him. Hope he learns from it

• edited September 2021

you're right @eric_plant at least stand over him shouting in his pained face a la a Keano or a Barton.

• Had the referee seen the incident and sent Anis off, would we be playing Ipswich on Saturday?

• Blue since 1990 makes a great point. A tackle that inflicts a bad injury and an act of gamesmanship and simulation go unpunished whilst retaliation-foolish though it undoubtedly was-earns a 3 match ban. There’s something seriously wrong with our disciplinary system.

• As my old man always said to me... if your going to hit someone, hit them hard.. or.. if someone hits you, hit them back harder.. the last one stood me in good stead and kept me out of trouble during secondary school after the first year

• I did not even see the Nick Freeman incident as I was following the ball...was that captured on camera?

• Ahh dammit, thought we'd weasled out.
    Shame we didn't have this week's game to use after all ;)

• edited September 2021

Guess O'Nien got he wanted with his sly pinch and provocative behaviour.

Can't say we didn't love him here and blue tinted specs might have meant we ignored some of his dark arts and wind up merchant stuff, but it gets really highlighted when he's playing for the opposition.

Always wanted him to do well after leaving but this one has left a bit of a sour taste. Thought he was better than that. Oh well, I suppose we can chuckle to ourselves that he left with ambitions to play higher and only one out of O'Nien and Wycombe have got to the Championship since.
    Hope Scowen crunches him and Mehmeti runs rings round them in the return fixture. That will be a tasty one.

• This is definitely set up for 'Our House: Part 2'...

• Not sure that’s quite the spirit @DJWYC14 ! You caught me at a bad moment as Joe Root is bowled in the penultimate over of an interesting day’s play.

• O'Nien was a little shit when he was with us, but since he's gone to a bigger club...

• Bloody hell, 09 was and is a dogged player the way Scowen is, the fact is Anis should not have launched a fist at him. Calm down people, it was a learning experience for one of our internationals.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    O'Nien was a little shit when he was with us, but since he's gone to a bigger club...

Nah he’s alright by me

• @peterparrotface said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    O'Nien was a little shit when he was with us, but since he's gone to a bigger club...

Nah he’s alright by me

I didn't mean it in a bad way, as such - JJ can be a right wind-up (remember v Leatherhead in the FA Cup) - but it's not as if he's become like that since going to Sunderland.

• The day we start complaining about a team's use of the dark arts is the day we have to stop complaining about other teams complaining about our use of the dark arts.

• O'Nien was an outstanding player for us. He also had that thing about him which allowed him to wind the opposition up ceaselessly without getting wound up himself - constantly smiling. (JJ is excellent at it, too, if anybody remembers him provoking Sammy Moore into lashing out in the Leatherhead game.)

Given that, and the fact that I expect the management at Wycombe positively encouraged it, I'm amazed that Mehmeti wasn't expecting it and ready not to rise to it. But then again, maybe he was expecting it, but couldn't help himself in the heat of the moment. He's a young lad, after all.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Blue since 1990 makes a great point. A tackle that inflicts a bad injury and an act of gamesmanship and simulation go unpunished whilst retaliation-foolish though it undoubtedly was-earns a 3 match ban. There’s something seriously wrong with our disciplinary system.

I have to agree. It was a sh1tty thing by 09 and a dumb thing by Anis. How the panel could say that was a punch is beyond me. A video from 50 plus metres away. I assume no medical evidence. How would I feel if 09 was in a quartered shirt? Bit embarrassed I hope. But that is who he is. Shame that the panel doesn't take that into consideration.

Anis is an amazing talent. This season he seems to be forcing it too much and I hope a couple of weeks off will let him take a breath and realise how good he is and just chill out a bit.

• With this news, Horgan got off lightly!

• O’Nien was exactly the same when he played for us, we all knew it, and we all cheered it on.

• @drcongo said:
    O’Nien was exactly the same when he played for us, we all knew it, and we all cheered it on.

I agree. Though I was still absolutely gobsmacked to see him do the same things for Sunderland, as their fans have been very clear that they do everything in a most Corinthian spirit which allows them to take a very high moral ground over all other clubs, even clubs with more recent success like Wycombe Wanderers.

• @Shev all the Sunderland fans I know are blinding, just can’t understand what the animosity is about?

• @peterparrotface said:
    @Shev all the Sunderland fans I know are blinding, just can’t understand what the animosity is about?

I think it's just the difference between regular fans and forum fans, probably, as someone else mentioned on one of the threads. On their forum the majority of their fans appear to hate us. I am in the U.S., so that is the only exposure I get!

• @eric_plant said:
    It was a poor punch from the lad. Made contact with O'Nien's shoulder.

If you're getting 3 games for it you've got to make it count and properly chin him. Hope he learns from it

100%

• Quite frankly I don't see how in a footballing context you can "Make it count'?
    Even if he knocks O9 out cold they can always bring on a substitute and 9 times out of 10 you get caught by the officials and are red carded, thus penalising your team during the game too
    It was a dumb reaction and hopefully he learns from it. Misses the opportunity to play against Man City so it a painful lesson for him

• @Twizz I think @eric_plant comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.

• @eric_plant said:
    It was a poor punch from the lad. Made contact with O'Nien's shoulder.

@Wendoverman - I think @eric_plant’s comment was far enough back to justify copying down. I agree with your interpretation.

• Think I may be a bit too old school. In the immortal words of the late great Jack Charlton, "I'd have chinned him me!"