Skip to content

Match day thread: Aston villa U21 (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• @Malone said:
    It has been going on for years though hasn't it?
    I remember games 2 or 3 years ago standing near him, and people in rows closeby would do gestures of "ease it down".

Is it just the huge gap with the pandemic that has brought it back to the fore so much?

Yep, and a few matches where it was particularly over bearing. In his own words he thinks that hitting the drum harder and more often= us more likely to win, and it's a way to deal with his issues/ shut everyone else out.

That obviously isn't compatible with him taking the drum onto the terrace for very long.

• @peterparrotface said:

@Username said:

@peterparrotface said:
    The drummers don't get on do they? I thought they were joking but it seemed frosty pre-Accrington.

The other drummer (Paul) has made a few attempts to "reach out" to Tom, but Tom turned down any advice and has been abusive in return (only reactionary/ part of his issues I suspect, but still)

Pretty obvious Tom resents Paul because he's not disliked, and I expect that Paul has run out of patience with Tom, as have a large number of us terrace dwellers

This is a shame because I feel with a bit of understanding they could do "Stand and Deliver" or maybe something by Rialto

I can see it now, RC with his cowboy hat jumping into the terrace: '"Stand and Deliver your drumsticks or your season ticket, err I mean your electronic season card thing"

• @eric_plant said:
    You've got mates who say they're not going to games because someone's got a drum?

Yes, absolutely. Casual fans are there for a mix of football, atmosphere and hospitality. 90 mins of ear splitting, out of time pig skin bashing puts them off.

• To clarify I’m pro having a drum, but someone competent.

• I’m all for a trumpet meself.

• If we could have The Great Escape played on vuvuzelas with a constant out of time drum that'll fill the terrace for sure.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@eric_plant said:
    You've got mates who say they're not going to games because someone's got a drum?

Yes, absolutely. Casual fans are there for a mix of football, atmosphere and hospitality. 90 mins of ear splitting, out of time pig skin bashing puts them off.

Exactly the same for me and my mates

• Google wanted to know if I meant vuvulas.
    I wanted to say “ooh, I really don’t know” in a whiny Mavis Riley voice but google don’t listen. So help me please @Wendoverman ((as in “so help me God”). This terrace issue has to be resolved asap before we get to one man and his dog.

• @micra said:
    I’m all for a trumpet meself.

They did have that gang in the Frank Adams stand years back Adams apple?

But they were stationed right in the corner, rather than in the middle of everyone.

• There was a superb trumpeter with the barmy army in India. Not sure if he’d be up for grabs. @Jonny_King might be able to recommend someone or perhaps he could offer Tom some basic instruction.

• @Username said:

@Malone said:
    Seems the drumming stuff will rumble on.

I'm not sure if Cheltenham's stand was a bit less of a noise tunnel than Stevenage, but I barely noticed him there, whereas Stevenage was quite the headache even at the opposite end.

It's inevitable to rumble on until there's actually a solution, Saturday at football is the highlight of my and many others week, and after lockdown I expect many people just aren't willing to "put up" with having it negatively affected in perpetuity for the sake of 1 person- who is no longer a child.

I suspect it's coming to it's end now though, just a shame he didn't have any friends or family who were actually willing to help the situation before it became such a "thing", the first, second, or third time it happened.

I know that plenty of people have tried to have a quiet word with him and offer him advice. He’s not interested, as had been mentioned regarding the other drummer. Don’t think it’s fair to say it’s a shame no one was willing to help.

• What a nightmare of an issue to mediate. Until the powers that be figure it out, maybe they should split the difference and only let him drum in the first half?

• @Shev said:
    What a nightmare of an issue to mediate. Until the powers that be figure it out, maybe they should split the difference and only let him drum in the first half?

Or with only one stick

• Thomas has been given chance after chance. He isn’t interested in the greater good. Whatever his issues are it isn’t the role of the club or the paying fan base to accommodate them. One final warning then if he persists confiscate the drum and / or a public order banning order. What is sad is the other drummer is really quite good, give him a run at it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:
    What a nightmare of an issue to mediate. Until the powers that be figure it out, maybe they should split the difference and only let him drum in the first half?

Or with only one stick

Or with two sticks and no drum?

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:

Or with only one stick

Or with two sticks and no drum?

Failing that maybe they could get him an electric set and a big pair of headphones.

• edited September 2021

@JohnBoy said:

@Username said:

@Malone said:
    Seems the drumming stuff will rumble on.

I'm not sure if Cheltenham's stand was a bit less of a noise tunnel than Stevenage, but I barely noticed him there, whereas Stevenage was quite the headache even at the opposite end.

It's inevitable to rumble on until there's actually a solution, Saturday at football is the highlight of my and many others week, and after lockdown I expect many people just aren't willing to "put up" with having it negatively affected in perpetuity for the sake of 1 person- who is no longer a child.

I suspect it's coming to it's end now though, just a shame he didn't have any friends or family who were actually willing to help the situation before it became such a "thing", the first, second, or third time it happened.

I know that plenty of people have tried to have a quiet word with him and offer him advice. He’s not interested, as had been mentioned regarding the other drummer. Don’t think it’s fair to say it’s a shame no one was willing to help.

Plenty of people have tried to help, just none of his own "friends" or family, who persist with telling him he can essentially do what he likes and to ignore any criticism (or bullying as they tell him)

• Did anyone else see the stewards talking to the drummer at half time in the Papa John’s match? Must have been a ten minute discussion/lecture and looked pretty one sided as though they were telling him something?

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Did anyone else see the stewards talking to the drummer at half time in the Papa John’s match? Must have been a ten minute discussion/lecture and looked pretty one sided as though they were telling him something?

Didn't see that, but I did see him getting what seemed to be a real mentoring from one of the Trust guys (Tony?) As he walked in a couple of mins after kick off?

• Why not just ban drums in the stadium?

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Did anyone else see the stewards talking to the drummer at half time in the Papa John’s match? Must have been a ten minute discussion/lecture and looked pretty one sided as though they were telling him something?

I think they were just telling him the awful news about Charlie Watts.

• @mooneyman said:
    Why not just ban drums in the stadium?

As the other drummer is good and does help with the atmosphere

• Swapped messages with Matt Cecil on twitter this morning regarding the advertising boards - they were indeed set too high in the first half. This was the first time the club had run them without professionals from the suppliers on-hand. They simply got the settings wrong, and lessons have been learned.

• @micra said:
    @Jonny_King might be able to recommend someone or perhaps he could offer Tom some basic instruction.

To be honest @Micra, I understand that Tom isn't even remotely receptive to advice/offers of help/tearful pleading, so I'm going to save my time on that one.

I vaguely know Paul (the other drummer) and know he has (repeatedly, I think) offered to help Tom, only to be met with considerable hostility.

I have every sympathy with Tom for his condition, but I'm sick to death of that bloody drum and the fact that we're still having this conversation two, three years on. It was absolutely excruciating at Exeter and really ruined my first game in 18 months. He seemed drunk, which didn't help his already limited sense of musicianship. Allegedly he was leathered at Stevenage too.

Clearly there's a lot of people who are fed up with it and as one person has said - why is one person's enjoyment being put ahead of the enjoyment of so many others?

Here's the problem - You can't ban him from bringing the drum and still let Paul have his, as that would essentially be discrimination. They would have to ban all instruments, which wouldn't bother me personally, but would be a shame for Paul. I'm not wild about the drum, but I admit, when done properly, it does noticeably improve the atmosphere.

Until Tom does something like use the sticks to hit someone, or use the drum to smuggle in drugs and automatic weapons, he is free to continue and even if he is banned from drumming at AP, there's nothing to stop him taking the drum to away grounds, obviously subject to that ground's own policy.

It's a shame, because I want to join in the singing and chanting, but now have to stand as far away from him as possible. I can no longer have the matchday experience I want and next time I visit AP, I may even have to abandon the terrace after some 22 years. It's just not worth the misery/tinnitus anymore.

Evening, by the way.

• Surely the club need to know how everyone feels ? If it means they are losing money its not good

• Good Evening @Jonny_King , you might be onto something with the tinnitus issue. Surely in these red tape obsessed days in which we live, the powers that be have to risk assess any and every possible health hazard.

• @YorkshireBlue Yes, that thought occurred to me too. I'm not a legal expert and certainly not a fan of compensation culture, but presumably the argument could be made that if WWFC allow Person A to bring a drum into the ground and smash the crap out of it and Person B suffers hearing loss, the club are legally responsible.

Reminds me of this recent case; where a viola player successfully sued the Royal Opera House after suffering hearing damage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43571144

• edited September 2021

I agree with all the drum talk. Just to put that out there. I've always hated being anywhere near drums as they're such a menace.

But where do you draw the line in what is fine and what isn't?
    By the amount of complaints? By the originator being an individual, rather than a rowdy bunch of offensive singers, for example?

It's a tricky one to word, but I can't quite escape the irony of some of our terrace "wits" who have acted up for years, moaning about someone else's conduct.

And clearly I don't mean @Jonny_King , undeniably one of Wycombe's suavest fans.