Skip to content

Match day thread: Aston villa U21 (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Good rhyming slang> @A_Worboys said:

The Wyc’s has always been the nickname of High Wycombe Rugby Club.

Is that a nickname of Rhyming slang ?

• Until the lady who shrieks 'Come on Wycombe!' in the Beechdean changes to 'Let's Go!' I will stick with tradition.

• @Shev said:
    It's important to realize that British and American fans exhort their teams onto glory in different directions.

Britain: "Come on Wycombe!"
    U.S.A.: "Let's go Wycombe!"

I fear that unless the communication is ironed out, the future years may be stormy as our players are increasingly bemused as to whether they should be coming or going.

@shev Another UK versus US difference that I don't really get is that, while we get excited and typically cheer more loudly in the UK when our teams are attacking, American sports fans seem to make a lot more noise with chants of "De-Fence" when their team hasn't got the ball.

• @Uncle_T - good point, though I think that is especially in the NFL. I think there is a lot of excitement over attacking still, but nothing comparable to the "De-Fence" chant you referenced.

• I think part of the de-fence thing is to make noise to drown out the communications of the play calling of the opposition quarterback / coach.

• Good point! @Lloyd2084!!!

• Caught up with my Villa supporting mate who was also at the game. He thought the difference between first 40 minutes (where we were definitely on top) and the rest of the game (where we definitely weren’t) was a simple change in tactics on their part. They started off trying to play through Morgan Sanson in the middle - it being his first game since injury after signing for £14 million. Thompson and Pendlebury didn’t let that happen and we were able to quickly counter. They took Sanson off, switched to attacking wide and our wingbacks couldn’t cope defensively. Thought that was a fair assessment

• Hang on, I thought the Academy teams had to be under 23s (or is it 21s?)

Either way, not playing £14m 27 year olds?!

• What concerns me more than ‘Up the Wyc’ (which is awful) is the change over recent years of the ‘Wanderers’ chant which now is exclusively like the ‘Argyle’ or ‘Liverpool’) chant. It never used to be and has no where near the energy of the old ‘Wanderers’ chant. ‘Come on you Blues’ chant is great when everyone joins in on a corner, but like all chants falls down when only a few join in.

• Blackburn missed a trick with 'Up the Duff'

• @YorkshireBlue said:
    Blackburn missed a trick with 'Up the Duff'

……and as for Arsenal

• @Malone said:
    Hang on, I thought the Academy teams had to be under 23s (or is it 21s?)

Either way, not playing £14m 27 year olds?!

They can have a certain number of over 23s, 3 from memory.

• I stood on the terrace on Tuesday I normally sit high up in the Woodlands. I thought the advertising was way to bright for us, heaven only knows what the players thought. When the adverts were white it must have been difficult to spot the ball and the opposition

• edited September 2021

We've lost a fair few chants in the last 3/4 years because the drummer is the only person who is allowed to continue any chants. Any that he doesn't know or like, he'll simply drum over, and the ones he does have been sped up or often butchered to suit his own deficiencies with hitting the drum in time.

Lovely kid, but should have the drum taken off him

• edited September 2021

Have seen concerns that his drumming will put new fans off coming back again - and I'm inclined to agree. It's one reason I rarely go in the terrace myself. I seem to remember he briefly got banned from bringing his drum to games the other season?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Have seen concerns that his drumming will put new fans off coming back again - and I'm inclined to agree. It's one reason I rarely go in the terrace myself. I seem to remember he briefly got banned from bringing his drum to games the other season?

I've had friends say exactly that as a reason/ excuse not to go. (Especially when hungover)

He was, but that was due to behaviour, not drumming itself

• You've got mates who say they're not going to games because someone's got a drum?

• The drummers don't get on do they? I thought they were joking but it seemed frosty pre-Accrington.

• @eric_plant said:
    You've got mates who say they're not going to games because someone's got a drum?

Along the lines of "Am I going to have to listen to that guy smashing the drum randomly for 90 minutes"

• edited September 2021

@peterparrotface said:
    The drummers don't get on do they? I thought they were joking but it seemed frosty pre-Accrington.

The other drummer (Paul) has made a few attempts to "reach out" to Tom, but Tom turned down any advice and has been abusive in return (only reactionary/ part of his issues I suspect, but still)

Pretty obvious Tom resents Paul because he's not disliked, and I expect that Paul has run out of patience with Tom, as have a large number of us terrace dwellers

• @eric_plant said:
    You've got mates who say they're not going to games because someone's got a drum?

Why is this so hard to believe?

• @Username said:

@peterparrotface said:
    The drummers don't get on do they? I thought they were joking but it seemed frosty pre-Accrington.

The other drummer (Paul) has made a few attempts to "reach out" to Tom, but Tom turned down any advice and has been abusive in return (only reactionary/ part of his issues I suspect, but still)

Pretty obvious Tom resents Paul because he's not disliked, and I expect that Paul has run out of patience with Tom, as have a large number of us terrace dwellers

This is a shame because I feel with a bit of understanding they could do "Stand and Deliver" or maybe something by Rialto

• @Username Is @oilysailor one of these friends?

• Seems the drumming stuff will rumble on.

I'm not sure if Cheltenham's stand was a bit less of a noise tunnel than Stevenage, but I barely noticed him there, whereas Stevenage was quite the headache even at the opposite end.

• I must admit that although I mostly stand at the back in the Beechdean and briefly considered cutting costs and changing to the Terrace that was one of the reasons I decided not to...but that may well be an age thing.

• @Malone said:
    Seems the drumming stuff will rumble on.

I'm not sure if Cheltenham's stand was a bit less of a noise tunnel than Stevenage, but I barely noticed him there, whereas Stevenage was quite the headache even at the opposite end.

It's inevitable to rumble on until there's actually a solution, Saturday at football is the highlight of my and many others week, and after lockdown I expect many people just aren't willing to "put up" with having it negatively affected in perpetuity for the sake of 1 person- who is no longer a child.

I suspect it's coming to it's end now though, just a shame he didn't have any friends or family who were actually willing to help the situation before it became such a "thing", the first, second, or third time it happened.

• I've said it before, I do believe unfortunately that it will end in trouble. Someone will snap and have a go at him

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I've said it before, I do believe unfortunately that it will end in trouble. Someone will snap and have a go at him

Yep, one of the next couple games it's inevitable, unless he does completely change his drumming- which is about as likely as us signing Ronaldo on loan from United!

• It has been going on for years though hasn't it?
    I remember games 2 or 3 years ago standing near him, and people in rows closeby would do gestures of "ease it down".

Is it just the huge gap with the pandemic that has brought it back to the fore so much?

• edited September 2021

I guess it's a tricky situation for the club as they don't want to alienate a fan (and an extremely loyal one at that) - but his behaviour is risking alienating many more. I don't particularly like drums at football grounds even if they're played well, but let's have one that enhances rather than sours the atmosphere if we really must have one at all.