Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• @kiscokid said:
    That’s a kick in the nuts…..I’m not buying all the hype about this being a great transfer window so far. We have lost some very good players and will have to wait and see what the new guys can do. As the poster above said Oxford is a real test of how far we have come in the last 12 months.
    Would be great to get a decent loan signing in from the premier league. As ever I think we are lacking a goal scoring creative midfielder. Portsmouth just got Azeez from Arsenal so we know there is quality out there.

Oxford signed Ben Davis from Fulham for an undisclosed fee, that looks to be a very good signing. At least we have a weeks extra rest before we play them, just a friendly BCD to play next week.

• Good signing by Charlton, we did not want him enough to fight for him. hopefully not a decision we will regret

• He didn’t want us enough to fight for us. Hopefully not a decision he will regret.

• Looks to me like we’ve made direct exact replacements to the squad at the end of last season. In general the replacements all have the potential to be as good or better for us

Adeniran = Scowen
    Fred = Kaikai
    Uche = Vokes
    Muskwe = Hanlon
    Pattison = Pendlebury
    Allsop = Przbek
    Knight = Fosino + Ram + Wakely
    Kashket + Samuel = Tjay

The biggest hole is the non-replacement of Knight, but when we moved to the wing backs we struggled to fit him /taff /stewart in the team.

Looks like a good summer to me

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@eric_plant said:

@drcongo said:
    I wonder how long he was camped outside their ground

Are you not thinking of Peter Odemwingie?

Wasn't it Berahino that just rocked up at QPR when Rednapp was manager at 11.55 on transfer deadline day expecting to sign. He didn't/t mention it to West Brom his at the time employers?

That was Odemwingie. Berahino was constantly linked with Spurs for £40m then sulked, ended up going to Stoke for far less and scored maybe one goal in 4 years.

• Looking at players who were released yesterday and are therefore free agents, Brandon Mason of Coventry is a possibility.

• @Chris said:
    Looking at players who were released yesterday and are therefore free agents, Brandon Mason of Coventry is a possibility.

really ?.we need to be looking at better and more proven , we are not a league 2 team any more

• Not that many free agents around.

Signing Kadeem Harris would be great, but would be able to meet his wage expectations?

• @Chris said:
    Looking at players who were released yesterday and are therefore free agents, Brandon Mason of Coventry is a possibility.

From a Cov supporting friend: "Solid as a LB, but didn't fit in to our system as a LWB. Quite small and struggles aerially, but good on the ball and in the tackle."

• Doesn’t sound too promising.

• believe that Andre Wisdom is a free agent?

• Did I miss tbe meeting where we became a moneybags club willing to pay anything for anyone?

• @Malone said:

Wakeley? He's 6ft 4 or so, and you really can't imagine him bombing up and down the wing all game!

I know Brighton have an even lankier guy out wide at times, but it doesn't look right at all. Or really work.

If you are going to use that logic, neither Peter Crouch or Gianfranco Zola should have been successful either! Crouch who is just legs and arms and has very little muscle / visible strength however he scored countless of goals. While Gianfranco Zola, being only 5ft 6, will never have a chance against 6ft defenders however he succeeded!

I reckon that if a player puts in the time and effort and has a desire to play 1st team football, they would play anywhere on the pitch

• @Wendoverman said:
    Did I miss tbe meeting where we became a moneybags club willing to pay anything for anyone?

Normally avoid the Facebook group but it's a treat right now, we got £8m last year, looking for free transfers we must still be a tiny club, Wrexham spent more etc etc

• @Otter87 said:

@Malone said:

Wakeley? He's 6ft 4 or so, and you really can't imagine him bombing up and down the wing all game!

I know Brighton have an even lankier guy out wide at times, but it doesn't look right at all. Or really work.

If you are going to use that logic, neither Peter Crouch or Gianfranco Zola should have been successful either! Crouch who is just legs and arms and has very little muscle / visible strength however he scored countless of goals. While Gianfranco Zola, being only 5ft 6, will never have a chance against 6ft defenders however he succeeded!

I reckon that if a player puts in the time and effort and has a desire to play 1st team football, they would play anywhere on the pitch

Not sure I'd have had either at wing back tbh, although we are after frees.

• @wwfcblue said:

Are you a friend or family of Jack’s. you registered the day he signed

Hahaha! I didn't even notice @wwfcblue and I'm sorry to disappoint but I don't know Wakely personally and would prob struggle to recognise him walking down the street! I just like the fact that we have someone from High Wycombe in the WWFC squad which I can't recall the last player who was actually born in High Wycombe and played for WWFC. The closest that I can remember was Matt Phillips but he was born in Aylesbury

• Interesting decision by management to go 2/3 ( not sure) light in permitted senior squad. Ainsworth says on latest video , he prefers to work with smaller numbers. Only time will tell if that’s the right decision.

• @davecz said:
    Interesting decision by management to go 2/3 ( not sure) light in permitted senior squad. Ainsworth says on latest video , he prefers to work with smaller numbers. Only time will tell if that’s the right decision.

Did you watch the whole video? He also says he's looking at people who are available on frees.

• I think any excitement you may have will

@Otter87 said:

@wwfcblue said:

Are you a friend or family of Jack’s. you registered the day he signed

Hahaha! I didn't even notice @wwfcblue and I'm sorry to disappoint but I don't know Wakely personally and would prob struggle to recognise him walking down the street! I just like the fact that we have someone from High Wycombe in the WWFC squad which I can't recall the last player who was actually born in High Wycombe and played for WWFC. The closest that I can remember was Matt Phillips but he was born in Aylesbury

Matt Ingram was born in Wycombe

• Alec Norman was a Wycombe lad wasn’t he? Big unit. Never quite cut the mustard.

• Elliott Benyon was born in High Wycombe

• @Wendoverman said:
    Did I miss tbe meeting where we became a moneybags club willing to pay anything for anyone?

Wendoverman nails it as usual. Gaz has not given up on new signings (free agents), says he’s happy with the squad he has anyway.

• Danny Senda was from Marlow wasn't he... close enough!

• Just in case Gareth does look here for ideas for transfer targets, I would like to make it clear that I too am currently a free agent, more than happy to play WB and available on very reasonable terms. My walking football team have agreed not to hobble in my way…..

• For me it has been nearly ten years now where Gareth has set put his stall on signings and squad numbers. Perhaps we will struggle this season with the squad he settles on... we might even struggle with established players brought in with 'the money'...or perhaps not. Thats the hope and joy and terror of football.

• Before the start of this season we’d only spelt £200k on a player three times, (Devine, Currie and probably Tyson.) it’s a huge amount of money for a club our size, especially for a player who didn’t seem to be fully committed to coming here. I’m sure he’ll do well at Charlton and we’ll do well without him.

• @floyd said:
    Before the start of this season we’d only spelt £200k on a player three times, (Devine, Currie and probably Tyson.) it’s a huge amount of money for a club our size, especially for a player who didn’t seem to be fully committed to coming here. I’m sure he’ll do well at Charlton and we’ll do well without him.

It's a lot of season tickets certainly

• We've got a good squad signed up, development players to fill an injury gap and room to add if the right player comes in.

• I think I've found your missing apostrophe @floyd!