Skip to content

Match day thread: Aston villa U21 (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Lovely goal from Parsons, with a superb build up from Linton, Thompson and McCleary who got the assist.

• 1-0, Parsons on his debut. It's almost unfair for McLeary to play against U23s! So much composure to set the young lad up.

• Same with Thompson @Shev

• GMac and Thommo are a cut above anyone else.

• Have to say Pendlebury is having a fantastic game too though.

• Hanlan has had 3 glorious chances.

• Parsons is having one heck of a game

• How are we not 5-0 up? Chance after chance

• Kids near the mic are having the time of their lives.

• It convinced Max Ram knew what he was doing there.

• Great start but dipped after 30 mins. Max Ram struggling with all of Villa’s play down the left.

Hanlan probably should have scored but good to see him getting into those positions.

• Villa are getting acres of Space down their right side.

• Very open, enjoyable half. The attacking talent on show is much superior to the defensive showing from both sides. Could easily be 5-5 on clear chances alone.

Parsons had a very lively half, McCleary at times looks a cut above as you'd expect, but it's Pendlebury who's been the real standout for me. His passing and movement an absolute joy.

• Burley and McCleary are the stand outs for me so far, could do with making some changes in defence.

• How do the advertising boards look on ifollow?

They look scorchingly bright from the terrace.

• Really impressed with Burley so far tonight, Curtis & GMac have been great too.
    Parsons looks good going forward but is often over committing and leaving the defence light on that side

• Pryzbek and Burley keeping us in it here.

• Does it go to penalties if it’s a draw? I think it’s the first time I’ve watched one of these!

• Really poor second half

• That was coming I'm afraid, they are all over us... their number 35 looks very good

• edited August 2021

Glad I’m not the only one marvelling at Burley’s performance.

Favourite moment so far, the sound of one small child singing “is your ground a library”.

• edited August 2021

@floyd said:
    Does it go to penalties if it’s a draw? I think it’s the first time I’ve watched one of these!

Yes. The winning team from the penalty shootout gets a bonus point - so they would get 2 points.

• Agree about the advertising hoardings... so bright !! Hardly need floodlights

• @HolmerBlue said:
    That was coming I'm afraid, they are all over us... their number 35 looks very good

Cameron Archer?

• @floyd said:
    Does it go to penalties if it’s a draw? I think it’s the first time I’ve watched one of these!

Yep - although I only know that from playing Football Manager, not real life.

• Lovely foul from Linton. Jason Cousins would be proud of him.

• Good run out for the development squad players along with a few first teamers,

The pick of the bunch for me were Pryzbek and Burley both of whom wouldnt look out of place in L1

• Good first twenty-five minutes, decent last ten, not much in the middle. It would be a very frustrating night in a game that mattered.

Apart from the obvious, only Burley and Penders look like potential first teamers, although Parsons caused some trouble going forward and took his goal very well. We've found a good back up in Pryzbek but Forino and Ram looked well off it. I was expecting a bit more from Hanlon but i'm sure he'll come good. If he'd taken one of his chances we might have gone onto win comfortably.

• @floyd said:
    Pryzbek and Burley keeping us in it here.

If it wasn’t for those two we would have conceded many more goals, the other defenders were way off the mark. Pryzbek MOTM for me.