Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• I’d hoped there’d be more news after two hours on a plane. Still, a long day of driving ahead for news to break.

• F.A.O. Malone, I am sure you are correct and I'm sure they will do well.

Good to see we are developing our own players rather than somebody else's players.

With Dobbo and Gareth behind them and Sam Grace picking some winners like Mr. Pendlebury, it will be fascinating to see how things develop. COYB!

• @floyd said:
    I’d hoped there’d be more news after two hours on a plane. Still, a long day of driving ahead for news to break.

Where you off to @floyd?

• Given there's a game tonight and the deadline is 11pm, you'd really want any business to be done and dusted by 6pm right?

• @drcongo said:

@floyd said:
    I’d hoped there’d be more news after two hours on a plane. Still, a long day of driving ahead for news to break.

Where you off to @floyd?

Central Illinois, if I ever get out of Chicago.

• edited August 2021

Keep an eye out for Illinois nazis. I hate Illinois nazis.

• @Ed_ said:
    Given there's a game tonight and the deadline is 11pm, you'd really want any business to be done and dusted by 6pm right?

Business might be done by 6-7pm but you can bet we’ve got two or three to announce. You’ll have the marquee signing around 9.45.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited August 2021

I hope you are right @wwfcblue , I cannot imagine that there isn't a centre back in the pipeline. It would just be nice if the club would fluff us a little beforehand, help take the edge off.

• Gareth interview just posted on Twitter saying don’t expect much today, happy with what we have. Might pick up free agent(s) in the coming weeks.

• @JohnBoy said:
    Gareth interview just posted on Twitter saying don’t expect much today, happy with what we have. Might pick up free agent(s) in the coming weeks.

Sincerely hope that's a double bluff judging by our current need for a centre back and a wing back.

• Going by Ainsworths comments, we won't be signing anyone....

• If we haven’t brought in any wingback cover I hope McCarthy won’t be out much longer.

• He speaks very highly of Wakely and Forino-Joseph; I think we'll be seeing them in the first team very soon (he said Wakely was close when he signed anyway).

• @JohnBoy said:
    Gareth interview just posted on Twitter saying don’t expect much today, happy with what we have. Might pick up free agent(s) in the coming weeks.

Gareth’s thoughts on the next 8 hours and beyond

• Better to make no signing than the wrong signing

• @Brownie said:

@Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Some Wycombe chap on twitter is certain we're signng Lavelle today, plus another and a loan signing

Who? I will base my excitement on that!

It's the same "Wycombe chap" who incessantly batters a drum for 90 minutes every Saturday.

Oh blooming heck, that kills it spark dead :D

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Brownie said:

@Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    Some Wycombe chap on twitter is certain we're signng Lavelle today, plus another and a loan signing

It's the same "Wycombe chap" who incessantly batters a drum for 90 minutes every Saturday.

Yeah but after the Lincoln game, he nearly gave up supporting wycombe because of the grief his drumming gets him, was planning on moving to Portsmouth before an 11th hour turn around, going to Sunderland and meeting Vokes and Horgan on the way back (who apparently loves his drumming?!?), I would say his signing predictions must be 100% bang on. Sorry about the pun.

All the above, apart from the signing prediction, seems to be completely true going, if not 100% attention seaking, according to the last week on the Facebook page.

And too think, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt a week or so ago.

Underrated post. You've gone for a witty pastiche down to drummer lad's appalling spelling and grammar :)

• I know it was a friendly, but Wakeley looked good against Leicester.

• A summer window without a loan signing just feels wrong. When was the last time this happened?

• F.A.O. Dr Congo,

Is that a cinematic reference?

• @NiceCarrots

The Blues Brothers

• Indeed

• @Malone said:

@Brownie said:

@Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:

Oh blooming heck, that kills it spark dead :D

I didn't realise that either, if I had I wouldn't have bothered saying anything

• Can't see this as a problem. This year more than any other, due to reduced squad sizes, there will be a surplus of decent players without a club. I also think the answers to a lot of our missing pieces will be found among the development players. Fill any gaps as needed from free agents out there.

• edited August 2021

The Lavelle rumous are the interesting part. Either they were bullshit - quite possible - or a move did fall through and Gaz and Dobbo have since seen more in the development lads in the last couple of weeks (well, maybe only CFJ as I believe Wakely has been injured). Either way, I don't doubt for a minute that they've made the right call.

We probably are a little light at LWB, but we converted Fred and I'm sure we can convert someone again (maybe we already have). We've got McCarthy and Freeman at RWB - presumably Wheeler (who I think would be the best back-up option of the lot) and possibly Grimmer too - we've just been ridiculously unlucky with the amount of injuries we've had together. You can't have endless depth 'just in case'; there comes a point where you just have to adapt, as we're seeing at the moment.

But from what Gaz said, I expect we'll see one or two FAs through the door in the coming weeks.

• I suspect we've got a few potential deals lined up for free agents, once they get released by their clubs if they don't make the final squads.

One or two deals have fallen through over the summer. We all know we won't be held to ransom and will not sign someone for the sake of it.

Looking further ahead, perhaps they've decided we have enough until Xmas / New Year if worse comes to it. Leaving some wriggle room in the squad for January.

Based on the EFL rules, maybe our plan is to leave two spaces free for January, when we may know who is out with long term injuries.

• I'm relaxed. Its been a good window. Vokes alone makes it an excellent window. Some of the releases I am nostalgic about but understand. I genuinely hope Kashket starts smashing in some goals as he has so much ability.
    Getting in loans now and pitching ourselves to the player / club as a bench warmer is going to be tough. And unless some clubs have some top talent arriving today most loans would already have been sorted.
    Sit back and watch the ticker and think 'how the feck did they sign him?' or indeed 'why?'

Does Josh Parker still have his cafe btw?

• And we know all roads eventually lead back to AP...

• Things do change so quickly, especially after a promotion/relegation sequence. If you look at our starting 11 from this weekend, only four were part of the promotion season just two seasons ago.

Promotion season:
    Stockdale
    Grimmer
    JJ
    Curtis

Brought in since:
    Obita
    Taffs
    Mehmeti
    Vokes
    Kaikai
    Scowen
    Horgan

• edited August 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

We probably are a little light at LWB, but we converted Fred and I'm sure we can convert someone again (maybe we already have). We've got McCarthy and Freeman at RWB - presumably Wheeler (who I think would be the best back-up option of the lot) and possibly Grimmer too - we've just been ridiculously unlucky with the amount of injuries we've had together. You can't have endless depth 'just in case'; there comes a point where you just have to adapt, as we're seeing at the moment.

But from what Gaz said, I expect we'll see one or two FAs through the door in the coming weeks.

The trouble is that (while we can certainly get by) we have only two real wingbacks at the club in McCarthy and Obita, and that worries me if we want to consistently play a wingback formation. We’re not that light in any other position. We’ve seen with Kaikai, and the impact on Grimmer, the stress put on the team by not playing a positionally aware wingback.