Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• edited August 2021

He's head of data analysis for PA Media, puts out some really great stuff.

• Hopefully we will have an introduction to one or two new players prior to KO tomorrow night.

• Not sure how many squad spaces we have left.

• Somebody mentioned the Tractor Boys and just thinking out loud, the man Edward Sheeran could be much happier than the far from perfect start his Ipswich A team have made. With so many new faces in the team photograph and getting off to such a bad start, he'll be hoping they don't stick to their bad habits as the season goes on and that its just one small bump in the road. Promotion could easily runaway from them but then what do I know?

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Not sure how many squad spaces we have left.

@ReturnToSenda shared this on another thread

• Although I'm looking forward to Matt rolling out the gif I also recall that McCleary (one of our best signings of recent years) was signed post deadline. So today is not necessarily the full stop on the squad, but it would be nice to settle.

• It would be nice to settle as there are points to be win and we have PNL up next game and we want to be ready for that.

• Lavelle to Charlton on twitter....

• Is anyone having a day outside the training ground to see if they can spot a car being driven in with a new player?

• Let’s hope there are no more going out today.

• Forgive me if I have missed it, but does the loan window close today also?

• Wow that’s a lot of outgoings this window -
    Uche, Fred, Knight, Adeniran, Admiral, Kashket, Samuel, Pattison, Darius, Allsop and Yates. Maybe more?

• @TheDancingYak said:
    Forgive me if I have missed it, but does the loan window close today also?

I've lost track of this too. In my head it always closed much later.

• And Phillips.

• edited August 2021

@TheDancingYak said:

Yep. No such thing as a separate loan window. The EFL window used to be open longer as the PL one shut before the start of the season, but it reverted back to 31st Aug across the board.

• @drcongo said:

@TheDancingYak said:

I've lost track of this too. In my head it always closed much later.

Yeah, for some unknown reason other than my own head probably making things up, I always feel the loan window closes something like 2 weeks to a month after the main transfer window shrug

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

Yep. No such thing as a separate loan window. The EFL window used to be open longer as the PL one shut before the start of the season, but it reverted back to 31st Aug across the board.

Many thanks!

Maybe the couple of goings this last 2 days will free up some wages for some loan players.

Today is genuinely one of my most look forward to days of the season. It’s the hope and anticipation or a(nother) marquee signing that does it. That said, on paper at least, this has been the best window I can recall in 30 odd years of supporting wwfc

• Be great to sign a wingback comfortable on either side, a central defender and maybe an exciting starlet on loan - ideally a box to box midfielder.

Can't imagine we'll manage all three today but if we do, is it possible in principle for Bloomfield to drop off the player registration list after the window shuts in order to become a permanent coach here, freeing up a space in the squad for a free agent?

• If we have registered a full 22 man squad, then it is only possible to change it to delete one and add another in "truly exceptional circumstances" decided by the EFL.

If we have left a space empty, seems no problem to subsequently fill it.

We currently have 19 eligible squad list players - seems unlikely we would sign four new ones.

• Although we now have squad space for incoming players, are we still having to meet SCMP spending limits?

• With the departures of Messrs Kashket and Samuel, this could be a very, very exciting day in terms of incoming players. Beside myself with excitement, COYB!!@!

• Thanks @DevC - that's interesting. Agreed it's unlikely we'll sign three today. I'm still hedging bets on Anthony Stewart leaving as well. The midweek 'knock' could well refer to a knock on the door from another club...

• For all the cryptic Instagram comments from last night based on a series of full stops, I see that Stewart has directly replied to Steve Brown on twitter today who praised his loyalty.

No chance he leaves in my opinion.

• @bigred87 said:
    Lavelle to Charlton on twitter....

Source? Not on Wikipedia which is usually very swiftly updated.

• edited August 2021

Some Wycombe chap on twitter is certain we're signng Lavelle today, plus another and a loan signing

• @micra said:

@bigred87 said:
    Lavelle to Charlton on twitter....

Source? Not on Wikipedia which is usually very swiftly updated.

Alan Nixon on twitter

• @NiceCarrots said:
    With the departures of Messrs Kashket and Samuel, this could be a very, very exciting day in terms of incoming players. Beside myself with excitement, COYB!!@!

Or... we already have their replacements in the building in De Barr and Hanlon.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Some Wycombe chap on twitter is certain we're signng Lavelle today, plus another and a loan signing

Who? I will base my excitement on that!

• @Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:

It's the same "Wycombe chap" who incessantly batters a drum for 90 minutes every Saturday.

• @Brownie said:

@Malone said:

@HolmerBlue said:

It's the same "Wycombe chap" who incessantly batters a drum for 90 minutes every Saturday.

Yeah but after the Lincoln game, he nearly gave up supporting wycombe because of the grief his drumming gets him, was planning on moving to Portsmouth before an 11th hour turn around, going to Sunderland and meeting Vokes and Horgan on the way back (who apparently loves his drumming?!?), I would say his signing predictions must be 100% bang on. Sorry about the pun.

All the above, apart from the signing prediction, seems to be completely true going, if not 100% attention seaking, according to the last week on the Facebook page.

And too think, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt a week or so ago.