Skip to content

Ipswich game postponed

Comments

• @Twizz said:
    Surely the arguement isn't about who we would've been missing through injury/call-up next weekend, but rather could we still now put out a team more likely to beat Ipswich than at a later date when they will almost certainly be in better form.
    I surprised we have postponed the game but I trust GA & Dobbo to make the decision that they feel is best.

Have we got to a position we're so arrogant that we think we can beat Ipswich with a string of players missing?
    Not quite i'd suggest.

• You want your strongest possible squad available for every game. Why play a game severely depleted when you don't have to?

• Same old Wycombe...always cheating? Disappointed as it means missing a home game as weekday nights are tricky for me...and it would be nice to get back on track quickly after the Sunderland game but I understand completely why they've done it.

• I’m disgusted. But pleased. And outraged. Isn’t this a fan’s club? Why weren’t we consulted? It’s for the best. But shameful. And Brilliant.

• For anyone understandably upset to have a spare Saturday, remember it's the first qualifying round of the FA Cup on the 4th. Bet everyone will have a match within a few miles of them and you cannot beat a bit of cup magic in any round.

• >

Have we got to a position we're so arrogant that we think we can beat Ipswich with a string of players missing?
    Not quite i'd suggest.

Ipswich are in a terrible run of form it's almost certain they'll be playing in better form when we do meet them.
    I believe that if it were just Horgan, Mehmeti and DeBarr missing we could cope just fine. Obviously we don't know about McLeary, Stewart & McCarthy but we couldn't play all of those without leaving someone out from our starting 11 yesterday anyway, we now have Hanlon too.
    For those reasons I'd rather play them now.

• @our_frank said:
    Feels like a poor business decision, a poor PR decision and a poor football decision to me. Very disappointing.

Countless clubs have had games ppd because of international call ups, would you accuse all of them of making poor decisions based on business (?) and PR (?). Our business is football and if the manager is convinced that this is the right decision that’s good enough for me and, I’m pleased to say, most posters.

• @Twizz said:
    >

Not quite i'd suggest.

Ipswich are in a terrible run of form it's almost certain they'll be playing in better form when we do meet them.

Maybe Ipswich are just a bang average side and won’t ever hit a good run of form. Maybe that good run was due to start on Saturday? These decisions need to be made looking at your own squad only and it looks to me like ours is creeking.

Plus of course I am away this weekend so would have missed it.

• I'm disappointed for entirely selfish reasons, but not overly surprised. Problem for me personally is that this is the forerunner to 4 other likely postponements, all of which will mean a pre-purchased Saturday match replaced by a 'hope to get time off but no guarantees' Tuesday night job. Or, couched in other terms, it wipes out the financial advantage of my season ticket. Not blaming the club for this situation, they didn't set the fixtures and I'm sure don't like it any more than i do.

I see @our_frank's point, but what if we get more injuries this week and can't put out the side you're hoping for? It's basically a crap situation from which no-one can really benefit.

• The three players called up all played in the last game. It’s not as if we’re taking advantage, it’s a genuine loss to the side.

• It should be remembered Ipswich got a game called off against us last time, to cynically get their main striker fit.

• I think what this discussion highlights is we don’t have enough information to judge the pros and cons. However based on what we do know, I think it’s the right decision.

If Stewart’s absence yesterday is due to an impending move, it will be worse than Ashford, Evans, Guppy, Tyson, Fred and Uche leaving put together!

• Same for me @LeedsBlue I was already missing one because of a holiday commitment and my working from home (which would have allowed for a sneaky early downing of tools) has come to an end!! I think getting the team firing on it's best cylinders is the most important thing though. Dammit!

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I think what this discussion highlights is we don’t have enough information to judge the pros and cons. However based on what we do know, I think it’s the right decision.

If Stewart’s absence yesterday is due to an impending move, it will be worse than Ashford, Evans, Guppy, Tyson, Fred and Uche leaving put together!

Just how highly are you rating Stewart exactly?!

• Quite highly. I mean, did you see him at Wembley?

I think he’s pretty much maintained that standard since, which is about as high praise as I could give.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    Quite highly. I mean, did you see him at Wembley?

I think he’s pretty much maintained that standard since, which is about as high praise as I could give.

I think he's a strong defender, but not a Mawson by any means.
    Which is what it'd take to miss him over Tyson and Guppy etc.

• Alfie Mawson. How good was he that season? An absolute pleasure to watch him player. He was always going to leave though, and it was at the end of the season. Stewart leaving this week would be a massive kick in the teeth and would probably make me cry too.

• Good to have a free Saturday

• Stewart has a knock. Either that or Matt C is a very good actor.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    Alfie Mawson. How good was he that season? An absolute pleasure to watch him player. He was always going to leave though, and it was at the end of the season. Stewart leaving this week would be a massive kick in the teeth and would probably make me cry too.

Relax son, he's not leaving.

• I’ve had a bad feeling about this from the moment I saw yesterday’s starting line-up.

I’ve got some magic beans for anyone who thinks Stewart just has a knock.

• Bit of a PE disaster from the club it he does go

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I’ve had a bad feeling about this from the moment I saw yesterday’s starting line-up.

I’ve got some magic beans for anyone who thinks Stewart just has a knock.

We will see.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Bit of a PE disaster from the club it he does go

If PE means Promotion Expectations you’re exactly right. Losing Stewart would be almost every kind of disaster.

• edited August 2021

*PR. Unless someone's forgotten their kit.

• Could also be a personal enjoyment disaster as well. Although I’m just about back on the ‘he’s not going anywhere,’ side of the line.

• Am sure this is an Occam's Razor job, and in this case it'll be a minor knock missing a game or two.

• Would be bad if Stewart left. Disappointing also after we took him back

• Plenty of local football to watch I’m sure next Saturday so no need for people to be without their fix if they want it.

• edited August 2021

Considering we already need another CB in the squad even with Stewart here, the Couhigs would be absolutely barmy to sell him for anything over than a 7 figure fee and two CBs ready to come in immediately. There's not a chance he is on his way out.