Skip to content

Comments

• Probably best. 2 key players out. Any number of players injured. A few days break will help get through the transfer window and out the other side.

• And Ipswich fans actually sound genuinely relieved that it's off. We are MASSIVE.

• Absolutely the right call.

• Is this the first time we’ve called a game off because of our internationals?

• I'm disappointed, but I think it is the correct call. It's the manager's job to give us the best chance possible of winning each game and to go into a big game when we're struggling with injuries anyway, without 3 further players could be seen as complacent, or even negligent.

Of course we could lose the rearranged fixture anyway, but to me this seems the correct and sensible decision.

• This must be based on injuries and not the people actually going to be missing. I'm a little disappointed if I'm honest.

• Agreed - disappointed to have a Saturday without a game, but September has been kind to us with local away fixtures so won’t be too long until Oxford rolls around. I can appreciate GA feeling we could buy some time back for injuries, although the decision will ultimately be praised or critiqued based on whether we win the rescheduled fixture.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    This must be based on injuries and not the people actually going to be missing. I'm a little disappointed if I'm honest.

why ? surely you would prefer us to have our best team available so a better chance of winning ?

• @Wanderers82 said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    This must be based on injuries and not the people actually going to be missing. I'm a little disappointed if I'm honest.

why ? surely you would prefer us to have our best team available so a better chance of winning ?

Like I said, must be injuries, if Stewart is worse than we know ( not that we know anything) then fair enough. But if it's solely on those 3 missing we can easily cope without them for one match when Ipswich are on a god awful run of form

• Tweet from an Ipswich fan:

‘Odd from Wycombe. The players missing aren’t exactly essential and we are a shower right now #itfc’

The thought of basically letting Ipswich bed everyone in does worry me though.

• I wanted us to play it, but having gone through the injury list and added those players to those away on international duty, we could be missing eight first team players - which is hardly ideal whether they're key players or not! Plus it effectively knocks a game off Mehmeti's inevitable suspension as he wouldn't be available anyway. On balance, I think its the right decision.

• Football's not that predictable is it? I've lost count of the number of times we've lost games we were heavily favoured in.

It gives our injured players another week to recover, it gives our new signings more time to bed in, and it gives everyone a break after a ridiculous number of games in August.

• Ipswich haven't had any players called up, so it was entirely down to us. This is crazy!

• It wouldn’t happen but would be a nice touch if we had a friendly arranged at AP instead vs a Championship side who don’t have many players missing. Good to keep players sharp and recover a bit of a gate revenue.

Although the way we’re going we’d probably lose some key players to injury during that friendly!!

• @jessvl1 said:
    It wouldn’t happen but would be a nice touch if we had a friendly arranged at AP instead vs a Championship side who don’t have many players missing. Good to keep players sharp and recover a bit of a gate revenue.

Although the way we’re going we’d probably lose some key players to injury during that friendly!!

That would surely be an absolutely mad idea as the whole point is to rest our players off :)

• @Malone said:

@jessvl1 said:
    It wouldn’t happen but would be a nice touch if we had a friendly arranged at AP instead vs a Championship side who don’t have many players missing. Good to keep players sharp and recover a bit of a gate revenue.

That would surely be an absolutely mad idea as the whole point is to rest our players off :)

Probably a good thing I’m not in football management!

• As I said, Gaz pretty much have the game away last night when he said we're looking forward to the our next game, at Oxford

• Feels like a poor business decision, a poor PR decision and a poor football decision to me. Very disappointing.

• edited August 2021

@our_frank said:
    Feels like a poor business decision, a poor PR decision and a poor football decision to me. Very disappointing.

How is it a poor football decision when we've got McCarthy, Freeman, Horgan, Mehmeti and De Barr definitely out, and every chance Stewart and even McCleary won't be right either?
    Plus Tafa and Wheeler finding their way back in.

Don't get too seduced by Ipswich's start, they're no mugs that we'll roll over with half a team out.

• Plus Gape and, apparently, Kashket. Maybe even Hanlan? ?‍♂️

• @Malone said:

@our_frank said:
    Feels like a poor business decision, a poor PR decision and a poor football decision to me. Very disappointing.

How is it a poor football decision when we've got McCarthy, Freeman, Horgan, Mehmeti and De Barr definitely out, and every chance Stewart and even McCleary won't be right either?

Don't get too seduced by Ipswich's start, they're no mugs that we'll roll over with half a team out.

fully agreed, good decision by the club

• edited August 2021

@Wanderers82 said:

@Malone said:

@our_frank said:

fully agreed, good decision by the club

We're all disappointed to lose a saturday game, especially on a woeful international weekend, but having an underpar performance is no sort of preferential outcome.

I expect this might mean we put out a few players on Tuesday that we wouldn't have otherwise.

• Bearing in mind our injury list. I think a postponement is a good thing.

• because, as many have been saying, we have a deep squad this year.

Stewart was said yesterday by Matt Cecil to have "picked up a minor knock" on Tuesday and so missed training on Thursday and didn't travel. Obviously, we've got the club injury doublespeak to wade through, but taking Matt at his word, it sounds very short-term.

If we've got Stewart, or his replacement, available, plus McCleary, we can push Grimmer forward to wing back, Kaikai or Wheeler to one of the two number ten positions and have a team arguably better than yesterday's.

We would have put out a competitive team and should have shown confidence, rather than this Lambert-like negativity.

• Pity to call it off especially as move to midweek may mean smaller crowd, but I think it's the right decision.
    Strange to think that 2 years ago there were people on hear moaning that Ipswich called their game off with us even tho the players they'd had called up were only 'fringe' players. Funny how things can change so quickly.

• 100% the correct decision in my view. Hopefully we will put out our strongest team for the Oxford game if Stewart McCleary and McCarthy are fit.

• @our_frank said:
    because, as many have been saying, we have a deep squad this year.

Stewart was said yesterday by Matt Cecil to have "picked up a minor knock" on Tuesday and so missed training on Thursday and didn't travel. Obviously, we've got the club injury doublespeak to wade through, but taking Matt at his word, it sounds very short-term.

If we've got Stewart, or his replacement, available, plus McCleary, we can push Grimmer forward to wing back, Kaikai or Wheeler to one of the two number ten positions and have a team arguably better than yesterday's.

We would have put out a competitive team and should have shown confidence, rather than this Lambert-like negativity.

the club want to have the best chance of winning, can you not see that postponing this game and playing when we have hopefully our fitness doubt and international back is better for us ?

• Disappointed to lose a Saturday game I was coming to from Stockport. Unlikely to make a midweek rearranged match but still the correct call.

• Surely the arguement isn't about who we would've been missing through injury/call-up next weekend, but rather could we still now put out a team more likely to beat Ipswich than at a later date when they will almost certainly be in better form.
    I surprised we have postponed the game but I trust GA & Dobbo to make the decision that they feel is best.

• Right decision for us. We need the time to get players back. I am not upset at all by the cancellation. Rest the players we can and have them back fresh to hammer Oxford!!!!