Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Match day thread: Sunderland

168101112

Comments

  • @jessvl1 said:
    Different subject but in terms of lack of communication on injuries, I agree it can be frustrating but I don’t think anything tangibly changes if we were to get more communication. It wouldn’t stop the fact that injured players won’t play, and fit ones will.

    Matt Cecil would have been briefed on what he could say today, and the club know that the most hardcore fans will be listening to the comms and / or getting the news through on here, so in my view the club are kind of communicating to us, just not in plain sight on our Twitter feed.

    I can see no logical reason for telling us before kick off that McCleary was missing with a bug while not acknowledging Anthony Stewart's absence at all.

    👍 👎 ( 3 )
  • @Vital said:

    @jessvl1 said:
    Different subject but in terms of lack of communication on injuries, I agree it can be frustrating but I don’t think anything tangibly changes if we were to get more communication. It wouldn’t stop the fact that injured players won’t play, and fit ones will.

    Matt Cecil would have been briefed on what he could say today, and the club know that the most hardcore fans will be listening to the comms and / or getting the news through on here, so in my view the club are kind of communicating to us, just not in plain sight on our Twitter feed.

    I can see no logical reason for telling us before kick off that McCleary was missing with a bug while not acknowledging Anthony Stewart's absence at all.

    Yep. It does seem strange.

    Oh we best explain why one of our best players is missing...but erm, we won't explain why one of our other best players isn't.

  • Be nice to know how Dominic Gape is as well

  • @Vital said:

    @jessvl1 said:
    Different subject but in terms of lack of communication on injuries, I agree it can be frustrating but I don’t think anything tangibly changes if we were to get more communication. It wouldn’t stop the fact that injured players won’t play, and fit ones will.

    Matt Cecil would have been briefed on what he could say today, and the club know that the most hardcore fans will be listening to the comms and / or getting the news through on here, so in my view the club are kind of communicating to us, just not in plain sight on our Twitter feed.

    I can see no logical reason for telling us before kick off that McCleary was missing with a bug while not acknowledging Anthony Stewart's absence at all.

    Yes, agreed. That’s was strange.

  • Just seen that Morecambe beat Wednesday. Fair play to them - could hardly have done much more to prove the doubters wrong so far!

  • An update on Nick Freeman would be nice too given we were told it could be serious…..well, is it?

  • @eric_plant Whilst (I'll say it again) I thought Sam Avery did a good job today, one of the many reasons it would have been good to have Phil C on the commentary is because he would, given his fan's perspective, have asked about Stewart in the post-match interview with Gareth.

    On Gape, I dare say he's "not far away". Maybe even "in contention for Saturday".

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • I wonder if anyone would have turned down being 2 points off 1st after 5 games where we played Wigan and Sunderland away?

  • @ReturnToSenda said:

    @Malone said:

    @ReturnToSenda said:
    It doesn't excuse Mehmeti's actions, but I'm curious to see what O'Nien did to provoke him. He really is an irritant.

    Thought someone posted the clip on a previous page.
    Looks like he was holding him back strongly, and potentially by the neck.

    Yeah, took me a couple of watches but can see he might have grabbed the back of his neck. Still, you don't react like that. But I'm sure Gaz and Dobbo will knock some sense into him / let him rot in the non-existent reserves with the other self-centred Millennials... (hoping the sarcasm/reference comes through here).

    Gen Z, Tom... the millennials are all sat on a pink table in London atm

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • I know it's what the club do, but as I've said before the lack of communication or info we get regarding injuries is bullshit, winds me up and its the one thing we do wrong as far as I'm concerned

  • Just back home from the game. You have changed your style of play from that I have watched before and for the first ten minutes you looked very good. The first goal was against the run of play but as the saying goes you have to take your chances and that’s what we did.

    Before the game you were asking why we weren’t upset at losing a 31 goal striker and I said that in Stewart we had a much better all round player and I hope you saw that today, both goals were good finishes and his movement caused your back line problems. The second goal was a quality finish as well. But to be honest that was really the difference between the teams that extra bit of quality in the box.

    Of the five teams we have played so far you look the best so you will be up there at the end of the season. Good luck.

    👍 👎 ( 10 )
  • Cheers, @Safc_in_peace. You, too.

  • @Safc_in_peace do you go to away games? Will you be making the trip to Adams Park?

  • Why did we have 2 keepers on the bench - so we were missing Stewart, McCleary, McCarthy, Freeman, Gape, Samuel, Kashket, Bloomfield and our new signing Hanlon. Even with all those missing could we not have had a development squad lad on the bench or is it not allowed because of squad number restrictions?

  • @Blue_since_1990 presumably we only travelled with the match day squad plus an emergency keeper.

  • @eric_plant said:
    @Safc_in_peace do you go to away games? Will you be making the trip to Adams Park?

    I get to some, but now that my son has moved to Edinburgh not as may, when he was in Leeds I would pick him up on the way to game and would get to about ten a season. But he finished his PhD and got a job in Edinburgh in At the start of the month so it might be a bit limiting. I did work in Slough in the late 90’s so know your area quite well.

  • @floyd, thanks, so that makes it even more likely that we travelled with both Stewart and McCleary in the match day squad but both missed out at the last minute for whatever reason.

  • Scowen brilliant today.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Mehmeti for me looks like he’s beating himself up at the moment. Shooting and missing and then angst ridden. He needs an arm around him and just tell him to relax. He’s a kid. He’s a great talent. If he does get a ban it might be a blessing

  • @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @floyd, thanks, so that makes it even more likely that we travelled with both Stewart and McCleary in the match day squad but both missed out at the last minute for whatever reason.

    No, it makes it likely that Stewart was ruled out from the start.
    18 for the squad, and 1 emergency keeper on top.

  • @Malone said:

    @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @floyd, thanks, so that makes it even more likely that we travelled with both Stewart and McCleary in the match day squad but both missed out at the last minute for whatever reason.

    No, it makes it likely that Stewart was ruled out from the start.
    18 for the squad, and 1 emergency keeper on top.

    According to I Follow commentary Stewart got a knock on Tuesday and didn't travel

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • @Malone said:

    @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @floyd, thanks, so that makes it even more likely that we travelled with both Stewart and McCleary in the match day squad but both missed out at the last minute for whatever reason.

    No, it makes it likely that Stewart was ruled out from the start.
    18 for the squad, and 1 emergency keeper on top.

    Still find it odd to name 2 keepers

  • @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

    @Malone said:

    @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @floyd, thanks, so that makes it even more likely that we travelled with both Stewart and McCleary in the match day squad but both missed out at the last minute for whatever reason.

    No, it makes it likely that Stewart was ruled out from the start.
    18 for the squad, and 1 emergency keeper on top.

    Still find it odd to name 2 keepers

    It's just interesting to find out that they travel with the bare minimum of squad players, but the extra keeper as security.

    And that it's a luxury these days that we even have the 3rd keeper and spares outside the squad!

  • Travelling back from the game and just pretty much read the thread.

    Some of the negatives seem quite harsh to me, not sure what others think! First 10 we were fantastic, and Stockdale has had 2 bad kicks in the space of 90 seconds, and from the second of which they kept the ball as we were out of shape and scored about 20 seconds later. Memories of Blackman against Spurs. The second goal deserved to win ANY game so no qualms there. Unsettled for the next 10-15mins which is no surprise when you play in that type of stadium and have the wind knocked out of your sails. We then had to chase the game and it was a poor first touch from Grimmer by the half way line that was cut out, leaving us exposed and they capitalised.

    I was very proud of the team today, we were certainly not overawed by Sunderland, we looked confident and if we keep Stewart when the window shuts (I’ve got my doubts) then strangely, I am more confident now about promotion than I was this morning!

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Why no Kashket or Samuel as both were in the squad on Tuesday, I can see them going on loan ot transfered

  • @Haytor06 said:
    Why no Kashket or Samuel as both were in the squad on Tuesday, I can see them going on loan ot transfered

    Agree and I wonder if one of them might be heading to Bristol Rovers until January

  • Real good positive ‘man on the spot’ feedback @username123. Just hope your doubts about Stewart don’t come to fruition.

  • edited August 28

    Kashket looks a long way from the picture, but you could probably see more of a long term role here than Samuel.

    But maybe Kashket needs to finally go somewhere he can start every week, and finally follow up on that season 4 years ago.

  • @Safc_in_peace said:

    @eric_plant said:
    @Safc_in_peace do you go to away games? Will you be making the trip to Adams Park?

    I get to some, but now that my son has moved to Edinburgh not as may, when he was in Leeds I would pick him up on the way to game and would get to about ten a season. But he finished his PhD and got a job in Edinburgh in At the start of the month so it might be a bit limiting. I did work in Slough in the late 90’s so know your area quite well.

    Get yourself down here and we’ll all buy you a pint and a gormet burger

    👍 👎 ( 2 )
Sign In or Register to comment.