Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Twitter have already got the footage taken down. Imagine if they took such a serious stance on the real problems.

Clever people. A 5 second clip that breaches the copyright of a multi billion pound company down in 30 minutes. A tirade of racial abuse is much harder because of word context.

• Get Bayo on

• Granted @Bacon_Sandwich !
    @floyd - yes, penny dropped at half time. Thought never crossed my mind.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Twitter have already got the footage taken down. Imagine if they took such a serious stance on the real problems.

Clever people. A 5 second clip that breaches the copyright of a multi billion pound company down in 30 minutes. A tirade of racial abuse is much harder because of word context.

Money "crimes" always seem to be treated way harsher than what most people would judge as much more serious stuff.
    Like seeing someone doing fraud jailed for years, yet some driving offence causing misery given a mere driving ban and suspended sentence etc.

• It feels as though we have scooped every shot today.

• love GA but he is to one dimensional, he needs a plan b to show his ability to change his game plan

• The last time we got drilled at Sunderland we ended up being promoted.

Omens.

• I actually think we played okay today aside from finishing. Sunderland so clinical.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    love GA but he is to one dimensional, he needs a plan b to show his ability to change his game plan

Bloody Norah.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    love GA but he is to one dimensional, he needs a plan b to show his ability to change his game plan

Bloody Norah.

Read the poster name. Standard.

Trevor will probably be back on tonight.

• @Wanderers82 said:

Maybe he should have brought on two more ‘keepers?

• Bayo proving what a serious impact sub he still is. He'll turn a few games for us this season.

• Massively frustrating afternoon, but Sunderland should beat Wycombe Wanderers ten times out of ten.

• Really missed Stewart, McCarthy and McCleary today.

• Only Sunderland have more points than us, so it could be considerably worse after five games. This certainly hasn't been nearly as bad as the 4-0!

• Well. Erm. Bayo looks sharp.

Far too late with the subs and wrong XI tbh. Onwards.

• Roll on Tuesday.

• @StrongestTeam What team would you have started? Hard to see what else we could have done given all the injuries.

• A bit of a curate egg of a performance - glad Wheeler got the consolation goal (helps with goal difference in the long run) - we played well in parts but didnt take our chances whilst they took theirs clinically,

• @Wanderers82 said:

In the last 9 years under Ainsworth, we've reinvented the way we play so many times. It's always been under the general form of pretty direct, but that's a terrible take.

• Am I alone in being irritated by the commentator’s pronunciation of Akinfenwaah?

• Wheeler. Adds a bit of decency to the scoreline.

• Some Reading fans are already calling for Ainsworth

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Only Sunderland have more points than us, so it could be considerably worse after five games. This certainly hasn't been nearly as bad as the 4-0!

5 games in, 2 points off 1st, but level with 2nd.
    Having seen off Wigan & Sunderland aways - 2 teams that will surely be up there.

Certainly not in a bad position.

• @micra Didn't notice that. As last season, I think Sam Avery is excellent on commentary. Second only to the irreplaceable @bluntphil

• Mneh. We move on. We are second with lots of things against us.
    Off the top of head four starters missing today and still a couple of ring rusty ones in the team.

The biggest lost could be Mehmeti of course. If he does get a ban and we are still thin on the ground it’s worse than the 3 points dropped.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @StrongestTeam What team would you have started? Hard to see what else we could have done given all the injuries.

If you're going to bang the ball at McClear like last week then start Bayo. Can't be too gutted tbh but maybe we're not as strong as we thought in depth.

• I’m hoping Sunderland go up this year and just get out of the league. Can see their ground being a real bogey one for us otherwise if we keep on getting hammered there.

Main take-outs for me:

• Stewart for me is the one player that is irreplaceable

• We can’t play both Grimmer AND Jacobson as CBs

• I think we need to be playing 2 up top to support Vokes more

Looking forward to hopefully getting that game out of our system with Ipswich.

Final comment - I suspect O’Nien was as every bit as cheeky when he played for us. Sunderland haven’t ruined him, it’s just that it’s human nature to see his gamesmanship more when we’re coming up against him.