Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• we look light on options on the bench today also

• What's up with Stewart?

• edited August 2021

McGeady v Kaikai [hides behind sofa]

And no Stewart. And two goalkeepers on the bench and no Kashket - or Samuel, but I'm reading less into that. Unless there's been a Covid outbreak? I didn't used to mind the lack of communication on injuries etc, but it's really starting to grate.

• Are all the rest of the squad injured with 2 keepers on the bench? Very odd.

• hoping stewart is not on the way out

• Starting XI is probably this then:
    Stockdale GK
    Grimmer RCB
    Tafazolli CB
    Jacobson LCB
    Kaikai RWB
    Thompson RCM
    Scowen LCM
    Obita LWB
    Mehmeti RAM
    Horgan LAM
    Vokes ST

It's great to see Wheeler back in the squad, but we must be pretty light if we have 2 goalkeepers on the bench.

• I’m reading the ever growing absentee/injured list with a heavy heart.

• was really confident on getting result today...less so after seeing the bench.....bayo only match changer

• Presume we've got two goalkeepers on the bench because no one else travelled in the squad and there wasn't time to send for reinforcements once McCleary woke up with a bug. Let's hope it's not covid as he'll have spent last night in the hotel with the whole lot of them....

• I miss the pre-match videos with Gaz, when he would talk about his team selection. I’m sure I’m not the only one worried that Stewart may be on his way to the Championship this season, as opposed to next with us.

• Does anyone know if Stewart is McCleary's usual roomate?

• I like the confidence in the squad that we might play a keeper as an outfield player. Bit arrogant I guess but there you go

• Too late to change my prediction, I suppose. Oh me of little.....

• edited August 2021

Stewart is 29 in a few weeks and is out of contract at the end of the season, so I'd be surprised if a Champ club were about so sign him. Feels more likely that it's just the usual inconsistent communication with injury news - although it's hard not to panic at least a little.

• Seems to be strange logic.

McCleary pulling out ill makes room for an 18th player in the squad, but if you can call up a reserve keeper, surely you can call up Kashket or Samuel?

You can imagine both will start in midweek, although I'm not sure how you start both Kashket and De Barr, as both are similar diminutive players that wouldn't make an ideal combo, unless you start both wide, and have a Bayo central?

• @micra said:
    Too late to change my prediction, I suppose. Oh me of little.....

No sentence completion, please.

• @Malone said:
    Seems to be strange logic.

McCleary pulling out ill makes room for an 18th player in the squad, but if you can call up a reserve keeper, surely you can call up Kashket or Samuel?

You can imagine both will start in midweek, although I'm not sure how you start both Kashket and De Barr, as both are similar diminutive players that wouldn't make an ideal combo, unless you start both wide, and have a Bayo central?

I suspect we'll see a front two of Hanlon and De Barr.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

McGeady v Kaikai [hides behind sofa]

And no Stewart. And two goalkeepers on the bench and no Kashket - or Samuel, but I'm reading less into that. Unless there's been a Covid outbreak? I didn't used to mind the lack of communication on injuries etc, but it's really starting to grate.

I agree it would be good to hear more about injuries etc Not sure who it benefits keeping silent.

• @aloysius said:

@Malone said:
    Seems to be strange logic.

I suspect we'll see a front two of Hanlon and De Barr.

It'll be good to see De Barr.

But it's difficult not to feel a bit sorry for Kashket.
    From starting a number of games in a row in the championship, to suddenly not even getting on the bench in league 1.

And down to about 6th in the pecking order.

• The joy of having a decent squad is we can now panic like mad if a few players aren't available and worry they must be leaving. Looking over my rose tinted specs this looks like a good side to me with three quality subs available for the 87th minute swops.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I like the confidence in the squad that we might play a keeper as an outfield player. Bit arrogant I guess but there you go

Making a scary statement about our current predicament, I guess.

• edited August 2021

It seems strange to specifically reference McCleary, yet choose not to mention Stewart.
    Unless it's simply being left out tactically.

• can't be covid for GMac has he tweeted that he will be in the stands watching the boys

• McCleary woke up with a bug, presumably he rooms with Stewart. We travel with the match day 18 plus an extra keeper. Very frustrating but not necessarily suspicious.

• @Malone said:
    It seems strange to specifically reference McCleary, yet choose not to mention Stewart.

That wouldn't be entirely surprising if Gaz wanted extra height while keeping Grimmer and JJ, but then he'd be on the bench.

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:

Yeah that's right, we've tactically put two keepers on the bench and left Stewart out

• Covid outbreak?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

That wouldn't be entirely surprising if Gaz wanted extra height while keeping Grimmer and JJ, but then he'd be on the bench.

You would think so. But you never know. With the 2nd keeper being related to McCleary being out.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

You would think so. But you never know. With the 2nd keeper being related to McCleary being out.

I guess we normally only travel with outfield players set to be involved and no one 'spare'? But we always have three 'keepers.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

I guess we normally only travel with outfield players set to be involved and no one 'spare'? But we always have three 'keepers.

Must be. Awkward shift for the 3rd keeper, but good experience today at least!