Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• The view of your style held by a lot of our fans is based very much on the last game at your place which was more of a pub brawl than a football match both on the field and in the dug out. We were left with several injuries and doubts about one players career possibly been over. Other than that you were sen as a team very good at the dark arts of stopping other teams playing and very good at wasting time....

Of course fairplay tables don't tell the whole story. But in 18/19 and 19/20 Sunderland were down the bottom of the fairplay league and well below Wycombe. More yellows and reds than Wycombe in both years. One 'interesting' stat in 18/19 Wycombe had 3 straight reds Sunderland had 7. No doubt all our reds were leg breaking tackles whereas Sunderland's were for handballs on the line. And of course as we're masters of the dark arts we fool the refs...

I

• And Sunderland have twice as many bookings in the league as us so far this season. Small sample size, but still…

• Especially considering we play most of the time without the ball.

• A point today would be fantastic... was Scowen possibly played to far forward considering his major asset is breaking up play and protecting the back line. I remember him scoring against Wimbledon for us that's about it attacking wise! Arguably the best midfielder in league 1.

• Massive club, massive budget, massive squad. Yet played a slow, yellow card seeking, barn door shooting, Championship reject in midfield regularly last season. Massive logic flaw their from one of their massive fan base - @Safc_in_peace

• To be fair, I think they were saying that playing Scowen was one of the reasons Sunderland didn’t get promoted last year. So not a flaw in logic, just a lack of appreciation of Scowen’s ability.

• @eric_plant said:
    That was cringeworthy and embarrassing

Bloody hell, it was only a bit of a laugh!

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@Chris said:

@Safc_in_peace said:

@Chris said:
    If they’re that keen on seeking excellence, why did they release Josh Scowen?

Because he is very poor and the midfielders we have now are a vast improvement.

He’s played in the Championship more recently than 2018. Have you?

No, but there is a reason that he and us have not. He was one of the key reasons our midfield was so poor at times last season. I hear he has started well for you, however his time here was marked by poor passing both in terms of pass completion and choice. He was also a walking booking, His shooting was the weakest part of his game. He was also very slow.

Shooting poor, probably true. But not a top attribute for a player of his type usually. Although ironically as I write that I'm reminded that we have a teenager bursting through, same position, same type of player with a supreme shot!!
    Booking chance, fairly high yes.

Clearly some players suit some teams more than others for a vast set of reasons.

You guys seem to play O Nein every position apart from his best one, so I'm a little doubtful about some of your managers to be honest.

• The fans who seem to think we're some Old Wimbledon/Westley Stevenage hybrid really do baffle me.

However, some of our own fans thought Bayo was a carthorse based on seeing us shut him out once.

• @Chris said:
    Other than the whole Scowen thing, what confuses me most about Sunderland fans is how little they seem to rate the guy who scored 31 goals for them last season.

He had one good season and feed off the service of McGeady, however that made us very one dimensional and teams will work that out. In his first two seasons he was awful. He is slow and apart from running onto a cross delivered from the goal line there is very little more to his game. I think Wigan fans are not understanding what we were saying. Without the service he is no danger to any defence. He was poor at holding the ball up, couldn’t pick a pass and he was slow. All of this meant we had to play a slow game. Steward on the other hand I’d quick, good control and brings other players into the game, he will not score 31 but as a team we will score more.

Wyke was offered what we thought was a very good wage for this league £7k a week, but Wigan offered £10k. He was not worth £10k and even at £7k he was not guaranteed to start, in fact I think he would have been on the bench most weeks.

• Not nearly enough badge chat here to be honest.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I repeat for the umpteenth time, once you have a label in football-deserved or undeserved-it’s very difficult to get rid of it. The idea that we ‘bully’ teams is preposterous as our disciplinary record proves. We are no more or less physical than other teams, remember the battering Vokes got last week from Lincoln who are regarded as a ‘footballing’ team. As for our friend from Sunderland rippling every part of Scowen’s game to pieces, I can only say he must have seen some truly outstanding midfielders over the years if he thinks Josh is so poor.

He might be a different player for you but I can only say how he was with us. He might have been played out of position or in a formation which didn’t suit him, however he was poor for us. The style we are playing this season would not suit his game, or at least the game we say from him for the two years he was here. A hard worker yes, but to often late to the ball, hence the bookings.

• Offering 7k a week to a player who will be on the bench most weeks? Good to see you've learned from previous financial mismanagement

Will there be a new netflix series coming out? Would be good to see which scene could rival the Will Grigg transfer negotiation for sheer comedy value

• That badge does nothing for me, where’s the black cat? If it didn’t say Sunderland at the bottom, you would never attribute that steaming pile of meh with the third tier mid-tablers.

• I don’t know, it’s got a nice Greek building, a rollercoaster track, lions, latin and not a modern swish or swirl in sight.

I think it’s a solid effort. 8/10 for me.

• edited August 2021

I think this might be my favourite Wycombe rivalry now. It should never have existed, but I just can't get enough of it ?

• Methinks our Sunderland friend, along with a sizeable section of their support, still can’t accept that they are in League One for a reason. Following his criticism of Scowen he now destroys Wyke’s reputation. ‘Apart from running onto a cross from the goal line there is very little more to his game.’ Well he managed to convert 31 of the crosses he ran onto into goals which suggests that there’s quite a bit more to his game. Wigan certainly thought so and they are rich enough to buy almost any striker they want in the EFL.

• Not every striker Sunderland sign can turn out as good as Jozy Altidore.

Oh wait...

• Crazy club, imagine buying a clubs best striker for £5m minutes after saying he's not worth £1.5m then giving him away, then losing your own 31 goal striker on a free to the same club, but he's obviously crap, but you offered him £7k a week anyway, then even going into conversations about who is getting the best out of players.

• Didn't they have some flashy treatment room that only staff were using for their own personal aches?!

Absolute circus of a club.

• Ah - the joy of football fans back in live games. This match does appear to have gained a bit of extra significance for both sets of fans and possibly both sets of players. Unusual for us to have an erudite rival fan posting extensively. A well seasoned, even salty game, is anticipated. In normal times I would have traveled, in these not quite normal times I haven't, but the pre match fervour / fever / tension seems as intense as it ever is. That is true for me anyway.

I want to offer up the three prediction threads as a place to work out some of the nervous energy, to maybe find some solace if we "don't get a result' or just to have some fun.

It is not late to join any of the three competitions - @DevC asks for a donation to the Samaritans for the Wycombe Score Prediction game, the TF predict six League One game and the Attendance game don't have a requirement and to be fair to @DevC if you can't make the donation you only have to tell me in a private miessage. In none of the competitions has anyone established a commanding lead. If you read the gasroom but rarely post, this big game offers a chance and there is little risk of being controversial enough to upset anyone on a prediction thread.

Keep Calm and Guess an Outcome

• @glasshalffull said:
    Methinks our Sunderland friend, along with a sizeable section of their support, still can’t accept that they are in League One for a reason. Following his criticism of Scowen he now destroys Wyke’s reputation. ‘Apart from running onto a cross from the goal line there is very little more to his game.’ Well he managed to convert 31 of the crosses he ran onto into goals which suggests that there’s quite a bit more to his game. Wigan certainly thought so and they are rich enough to buy almost any striker they want in the EFL.

If you're a one trick pony it's not a bad trick to have....

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@eric_plant said:

Sorry, @ReturnToSenda I'm with eric on this. Same with the terrace chant about it. For me it also plants ideas in the ref's head for future reference when opposition players are moaning as well.

• Sunderland advising people to get there early as their e-ticket system is rubbish.

• @Malone said:
    Didn't they have some flashy treatment room that only staff were using for their own personal aches?!

Absolute circus of a club.

The treatment room was part of the clubs top flight set up. Under our last owners they knew the price of everything and the value of nothing. They refused fund the use of the room to save money, but that resulted in more juries and longer recovery times. It is now back in use for the right reasons.

On the Grigg affair that showed what an idiot we had running the club. The new owner might be 23 but he is from a football family and he has the money to invest if we go up. The changes behind the scenes since he arrived are massive, a whole new data driven approach to recruiting, no longer just buying players fill gaps in the squad. No more offering silly money, the willingness to walk away if the other club tries to have our pants down and a clear focus on bringing n young talent, not just as loans , the lad from Spurs is a permanent deal, he turned down a new extension to his contract to come here. He is a current England u20 international , that for some reason gives me confidence that we are doing things right for the first time in 20 years.

On Wyke yes it’s a good ne trick to have, however it is a team game and we are a better team without him. History also shows he has one good season in four, that was last season.

• edited August 2021

@Wendoverman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@eric_plant said:

Sorry, @ReturnToSenda I'm with eric on this. Same with the terrace chant about it. For me it also plants ideas in the ref's head for future reference when opposition players are moaning as well.

It's really not that a big a deal imo - and it's not as if our fans are the only ones who do it. Not to mention the ref can just request another ball...

Besides, Stocko told them to do it on this occasion - so if there's anyone to blame, it's him.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Scowen is an excellent player and Sunderland will regret letting him go. I like the fact that @Safc_in_peace is concentrating on his team’s strengths but today will be very different to the last time we played at the SOL and Wycombe are much improved in every department. Best of luck Sunderland but not in this game.

In case anyone else is confused, SOL stands for Stadium of Laughs.

• Tough one today. Their players will be up for it as it’s their cup final playing a club and players just out of the Championship and wanting to test themselves against superior opponents.

For sure it would be good to get a point.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Tough one today. Their players will be up for it as it’s their cup final playing a club and players just out of the Championship and wanting to test themselves against superior opponents.

For sure it would be good to get a point.

Agreed.
    And for the Sunderland fans, they'll be keen to judge whether they as club have the infrastructure, fanbase and resources to compete at that level, based on a success story in us.

• no kashet or samules in squad speaks volumes