Skip to content

WW v Aston Villa U21s next Tuesday

I realise the Football League Trophy (or Papa John’s Trophy in its latest guise) is not everyone’s cup of tea but it does create a great opportunity for a cheap night out to entertain the kids at the end of the summer holidays (especially with a 7pm kick-off).

Aston Villa U21s will hopefully draw in a few extra visitors but at £5 for adults & £1 for seniors & children it means an adult can bring 4 kids & get in for under £10. It’s an opportunity also for kids to stand behind the goal and get a reasonable view. The old main stand (now Presonus) & the terrace will both be open so it would be nice to get 1,000+ for this game.

One thing I don’t know if people could answer? Aston Villa U23s play in a league for that level but the game at WW is against Aston Villa U21s. Does that mean some of the U23s will be ineligible?

Comments

• As a wild guess those who are 22 and 23….

• Good note on the 7pm kick off.
    May well have missed that!

• Is it on ifollow?

• edited August 2021

What's our record low attendance? This game deserves zero - although one would arguably be even funnier.

• Nah you're alright

• @ReturnToSenda You may argue about the validity of this competition. However, lots of people have been struggling badly during lockdown & the chance of entertaining children & introducing others to WWFC for very little money should not be dismissed.

• edited August 2021

@A_Worboys said:
    @ReturnToSenda You may argue about the validity of this competition. However, lots of people have been struggling badly during lockdown & the chance of entertaining children & introducing others to WWFC for very little money should not be dismissed.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but there are legitimate games in this competition - against teams who are supposed to be in it. Any support for the inclusion of B teams, however indirect/unconscious, sets a very dangerous precedent imo.

• I am fiercely opposed to B teams, and have always resisted watching our Papa Doc games against EPL youngsters, but I am relenting for this Villa game. I really want to watch Tjay and Hanlan play, not to mention Scotty (hopefully).

• Likewise @Steve_Peart just as keen to see the development guys so I will be attending. BTW, think it's time for the gas room to refer to the development squad as such rather than B team players. Think it is more inclusive, but might just be me?

• @EwanHoosaami In fairness, the club dropped the 'B team' tag almost before it had started.

• I can't see how anything has changed to reverse my decision not to attend games in this competition, but each to their own

I just personally still think that we should not do anything that in any way indicates an acceptance of premier league b teams in football league competitions

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    What's our record low attendance? This game deserves zero - although one would arguably be even funnier.

I enjoy most of your posts but have to disagree with you on this one. Whilst understanding and having some sympathy with your views on the inclusion of PL clubs in this competition, there is nothing that our club can do to change the situation. Those who choose to boycott the game are perfectly entitled to do so, but I find it sad that you would be amused by a low attendance that would hurt the club financially. As others have said, the sensible pricing structure for this tie could encourage the attendance of youngsters and indeed adults who might become fans of the future.

• edited August 2021

@glasshalffull There might not be anything the club can do now, but did they and others not vote to accept B teams into the competition in the first place? Even if they were somewhat strong-armed by the EFL.

• I genuinely can’t remember whether we voted for or against the idea and in any case it was voted through with a majority of clubs in favour. I also think I’m right in saying that the decision to include PL clubs was made some time before the Couhigs arrived so it had nothing to do with them.

• @glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I enjoy most of your posts but have to disagree with you on this one. Whilst understanding and having some sympathy with your views on the inclusion of PL clubs in this competition, there is nothing that our club can do to change the situation. Those who choose to boycott the game are perfectly entitled to do so, but I find it sad that you would be amused by a low attendance that would hurt the club financially. As others have said, the sensible pricing structure for this tie could encourage the attendance of youngsters and indeed adults who might become fans of the future.

‘There is nothing our club can do to change the situation.’

Would you have said the same thing about the European Super League?

• edited August 2021

@glasshalffull said:
    I genuinely can’t remember whether we voted for or against the idea and in any case it was voted through with a majority of clubs in favour. I also think I’m right in saying that the decision to include PL clubs was made some time before the Couhigs arrived so it had nothing to do with them.

Yeah, they've been in it for quite a few seasons now. My remark about attendances was rather flippant - people can obviously do what they want - but for me, it's a matter of principle that I won't back down on. If - and I think it's still quite a big 'if' - B teams end up in the actual EFL leagues, we can't say we weren't warned.

• If you don't want to see B teams in normal competitions then the prospect of low attendances and bad publicity is the only tool available to fans, perfectly acceptable in my opinion. If people want to go along fair play to them and I'm sure we aren't turning down the money.

• @floyd said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

So, exactly what could Wycombe have done to change the situation and how does the inclusion of PL clubs in the Papa John’s trophy relate in any way to the proposed European Super League?

• @glasshalffull said:

@floyd said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

So, exactly what could Wycombe have done to change the situation and how does the inclusion of PL clubs in the Papa John’s trophy relate in any way to the proposed European Super League?

First point is difficult to know, did they argue at all, no idea?
    Second point it relates because it sets a principle that tournaments can be hacked up and organized to benefit the larger teams that already have all the money at the expense of those who don't and with little thought to fair competition.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I genuinely can’t remember whether we voted for or against the idea and in any case it was voted through with a majority of clubs in favour.

But we know from the PPG scenario that Wycombe's solitary vote outweighs all other clubs combined. Wycombe have to accept responsibility for all the Bad Things.

• @glasshalffull said:

@floyd said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

The ESL is an interesting comparison because it was fan activism that convinced the clubs to back away from the proposals.

As far as the first question, record low attendances across the board don't seem to have, publicly at least, changed the club's view on the integrity of the competition, but higher attendances certainly won't either.

I hope that your contributions on here mean you're well on the way to full recovery.

• Just bumped into a WW season-ticket holder at lunchtime who knew nothing about the game next Tuesday. This is an issue that needs addressing.

• @A_Worboys said:
    Just bumped into a WW season-ticket holder at lunchtime who knew nothing about the game next Tuesday. This is an issue that needs addressing.

Maybe you should look where you are going?

In all seriousness you just don’t seem to get that this competition doesn’t register for some. I would fall in to that same category apart from you not bumping in to me. The lack of certainty around the team line up, the presence of under 21 squads and the general priority of these games mean I don’t really bother to much on them and certainly don’t mark them as much watch.

The club have got plenty on their plate at the moment so if you really think a season ticket holder not knowing there is a game on against an under 23 team ,needs addressing’ you’ve not got many problems in your life and have no idea about why this competition isn’t a must watch.

• I will certainly be there. I want to see and support our development squad. The Couhigs have helped the club fund the development activities over the last few seasons for the benefit of our club. I feel it is only fair to support them and put a little money into the coffers whilst watching our youngsters and senior fringe players perform under floodlights.
    Looking forward to it ?. COYB!!!

• It's a reserve game now for us with our expanded squad with the possibility of some prize money and a Wembley final a vague possibility miles away , let's not pretent it's more and get disappointed though, good cheap night out for lnterested locals but low crowds in a partially open stadium at giveaway prices probably not a big concern.

• I don't agree with the Premier teams being in it and I'm working, but if I lived closer I must admit I might have ambled along. (Then again I am also hoping to get to the The Franchise away game. Shameful I know.)

• I don’t like the prem u23 / u21 teams being in it either, and I think the problem with this cup has always been the number of games it involves. Straight knock outs and I think clubs would put stronger teams out.

I’ve not been to one of these matches for years, but I’m very keen to go to this match for 2 reasons.

1 - to see some fringe squad / development players
    2 - to take my young son to a midweek match for not a lot of money during the school holidays

I’d rather stick my money in this competitions coffers than MK away coffers any day of the week.

• Likewise, I'm tempted to go to this one. The only times I've been to Adams Park this year are for my vaccinations! If the Ipswich game does get postponed, then it won't be until the Charlton game that I can get down there. Whilst I would much rather we were playing a proper team, it does offer a rare opportunity to see the like of De Barr and some of the other fringe/development players.

• It's a reserve cup as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't interest me.

• The Football League Trophy used to be a big deal didn't it? Groups of three and then straight into the knock-outs. I like @username123's suggestion for the competition to just be knock outs, but there's not enough money in that sadly.