Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage (League cup)

12346»

Comments

• edited August 2021

Hmmm, they have spare full backs that cost them £50m

• Should make some money, on this one.

• Thought fate was teasing us when it had Man Utd, big pause, twenty.....not 6!

But City away will do!!

• Which window to get the tickets?

• Man City. ??

• @Chris said:
    Which window to get the tickets?

Should be fine, they won't want to see us and it's called the Emptyhad for a reason

• Don’t think we’ve ever lost to them. So basically a bye into the next round for us ?

• We lost 4-0 at Maine Road in the League Cup sometime in the mid 90s. The second leg was 0-0 at AP.

• Great draw. Manchester here we come!!!!

• Stevenage must be devastated ?

• @Chris said:
    Which window to get the tickets?

It's Man City. They have "sell outs" every game, yet the tv funnily enough always manages to find half the stand empty.
    And they take out adverts in national newspapers offering "up to 6 tickets" per individual.

We could take half of Wycombe and still have room.

• 100% league record against them @carrickblue as I repeatedly remind city and United fans here in Stockport - home match for me!

• @floyd said:
    We lost 4-0 at Maine Road in the League Cup sometime in the mid 90s. The second leg was 0-0 at AP.

In my memory the first leg was 0-0 ag home and we got stuffed 4-0 second leg

• Feel a bit sorry for Cheltenham. That was the sort of uninspiring draw I was expecting

• @bookertease that’s also my recollection

• @bookertease said:

@floyd said:
    We lost 4-0 at Maine Road in the League Cup sometime in the mid 90s. The second leg was 0-0 at AP.

Correct

• @bookertease said:

@floyd said:

I stand corrected!

• Wasn’t Alan Ball City manager at the time? - in my recollection, they had a shocking start to the season and the 4-0 lifted a bit of pressure on him, if only temporarily....

• I'm sure we hit the inside of the post, when it was nil,nil.

• Wasn't a great day for us, as we travelled with high hopes of an upset and took a big crowd up there.

Yeah, I think we did have early chances, but then ended up being completely overrun. New marquee signing John Williams got some terrible stick from the travelling support that night. Not often I've seen the Wycombe support turn on a player like that before or since. He did win the crowd over in the end, starting with scoring a screamer at Burnley the following Saturday if I remember correctly.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I'm sure we hit the inside of the post, when it was nil,nil.

DeSouza if I remember. Genuinely thought we had a chance at that point.

• Is my memory correct that they took the piss and bought on a goalkeeper as an outfield player halfway through the secnd half?

• @bookertease said:
    Is my memory correct that they took the piss and bought on a goalkeeper as an outfield player halfway through the secnd half?

We should have tried that last season when trying to close out a game by bringing on Allsop and his dodgy shoe laces!

• @OxfordBlue said:
    The club need to step in and stop him drumming. Harsh, but ultimately the drummer needs to be doing it for the thousands of other fans, not just for himself.

@Wycombe85 said:
    Wasn't a great day for us, as we travelled with high hopes of an upset and took a big crowd up there.

Yeah, I think we did have early chances, but then ended up being completely overrun. New marquee signing John Williams got some terrible stick from the travelling support that night. Not often I've seen the Wycombe support turn on a player like that before or since. He did win the crowd over in the end, starting with scoring a screamer at Burnley the following Saturday if I remember correctly.

The abuse of John Williams that night was disgusting, he'd only been with the club a short time. "What a waste of money!", the fee was hardly his fault, one good reason for having undisclosed fees these days.
    25 years later, that's still the main thing I remember from that match. Somehow I can't really see that sort of thing happening nowadays.