Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• I've been busy the last few days so I haven't had a chance to see the Stevenage highlights but am I right in thinking that since the weekend we now have two exciting new strikers to accommodate in the team?

I wonder if the early season 3521 will become more of a 3512 to make use of all this fresh talent. Our cup floweth over now with creative attackers and central strikers. Somehow we'll have to accommodate three from Vokes, Hanlan, Kaikai, De Barr, McCleary, Horgan, Wheeler and Mehmeti - and that's with Bayo, Samuel and Kashket in reserve.

Very exciting times - but surely one or two of Samuel and Kashket will have to go on loan at least to accommodate some wingback reinforcement? Unless they're very confident the new guy from Norwich can step up.

• edited August 2021

If we are allowed 11 outfield players I agree it will definitely be more exciting!!!

• @Shev said:
    If we are allowed 11 outfield players I agree it will definitely be more exciting!!!

Don't have to play a 'keeper betwen the sticks, ?

• @Shev said:

?

• I think the club tweeting "today's big news WAS....Hanlan" is probably a direct response to the the gasroom reading into the original tweet as meaning more than 1 transfer!

• @aloysius said:
    I've been busy the last few days so I haven't had a chance to see the Stevenage highlights but am I right in thinking that since the weekend we now have two exciting new strikers to accommodate in the team?

I wonder if the early season 3521 will become more of a 3512 to make use of all this fresh talent. Our cup floweth over now with creative attackers and central strikers. Somehow we'll have to accommodate three from Vokes, Hanlan, Kaikai, De Barr, McCleary, Horgan, Wheeler and Mehmeti - and that's with Bayo, Samuel and Kashket in reserve.

Very exciting times - but surely one or two of Samuel and Kashket will have to go on loan at least to accommodate some wingback reinforcement? Unless they're very confident the new guy from Norwich can step up.

I wonder if Samuel or Kashket may go permanently as opposed to on loan. They seem to be a long way down the batting order.

• edited August 2021

Given the system, Kashket has effectively got four players (McCleary, Horgan, Mehmeti, Kaikai) ahead of him - and even in a front two, it seems like he's got De Barr ahead of him (Hanlan feels more like a Vokes back-up, a more well-rounded one than who we already had). I don't normally speculate, but it wouldn't exactly be a surprise if we've seen the last of him in a Wycombe shirt, the way things are going.

Samuel is worth keeping around for his pressing ability, but I can't see how Kashket really fits in this season unless we have an injury crisis of historic proportions.

• Very unusual situation for us - paying (hopefully modest) fees for players & now have so much depth to the squad that we really need to loan some players out.

At least one of Samuel and Kashkett will leave I imagine. Neither have been excellent for us in different ways but they’re both going to struggle for games with us now I fear.

• Samuel played well the other night I thought

• Slightly puzzled by why this guy chose us. We play a system with one forward and it’s unlikely this guy will displace Vokes. So why would a guy who started every game last season chose a team when he is likely to be backup this?
    Same token , feels like we have paid a six figure sum for a guy who will not be first choice starter. That seems beyond our normal level.
    A bit confused. Is there a plan B on the cards?

• @bigred87 said:
    Wouldn't be handing out 3 year contracts and paying transfer fee's on a chancer.... GA clearly knows what he's doing, who can say they really got excited by Muskwe, Ikpeazu etc?... they didn't turn out to bad.

Completely agree, a three year deal means we see something special here…let’s see!

• I think we will play two up front more often as we did v Lincoln (Vokes and McCleary). Exciting here…isn’t it?

• @DevC said:
    Slightly puzzled by why this guy chose us. We play a system with one forward and it’s unlikely this guy will displace Vokes. So why would a guy who started every game last season chose a team when he is likely to be backup this?
    Same token , feels like we have paid a six figure sum for a guy who will not be first choice starter. That seems beyond our normal level.

He’s called Brandon, not Guy.

• @DevC said:
    Slightly puzzled by why this guy chose us. We play a system with one forward and it’s unlikely this guy will displace Vokes. So why would a guy who started every game last season chose a team when he is likely to be backup this?

How much did we pay for him @DevC, I don't recall seeing the figures anywhere? Of course, I could be having a senior moment! He may be "jumping a sinking ship". The early optimism of huge investment given the background of the, (what I believe to be), current owners appears to have diluted down to hogwash. Joey Barton as your manager wouldn't give me much to hang on to in inspirational terms. Added to which the offer of a three year contract in a volatile employment environment, would tempt many, with the future decent chance, (not guaranteed), of promotion to the Championship. Bristol Rovers haven't exactly started their new campaign after relegation, like a train have they. Also, behind the scenes, (I don't know any more than the next man), possibly he has been told that one or two forwards at WWFC could be moving on, which will put him further up the pecking order? I can see many good reasons for coming to this club but of course I could be typing absolute hogwash as it's pure speculation, but I wouldn't mind betting that there is some truth in it.

• @DevC said:

It’s a three year contract. He gets to learn from Sam Vokes and Akinfenwa and every chance he could be playing in the Championship before his contract is out. So even if he doesn’t get much game time this season, I’m sure he will down the line.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@DevC said:

How much did we pay for him @DevC, I don't recall seeing the figures anywhere? Of course, I could be having a senior moment! He may be "jumping a sinking ship". The early optimism of huge investment given the background of the, (what I believe to be), current owners appears to have diluted down to hogwash. Joey Barton as your manager wouldn't give me much to hang on to in inspirational terms. Added to which the offer of a three year contract in a volatile employment environment, would tempt many, with the future decent chance, (not guaranteed), of promotion to the Championship. Bristol Rovers haven't exactly started their new campaign after relegation, like a train have they. Also, behind the scenes, (I don't know any more than the next man), possibly he has been told that one or two forwards at WWFC could be moving on, which will put him further up the pecking order? I can see many good reasons for coming to this club but of course I could be typing absolute hogwash as it's pure speculation, but I wouldn't mind betting that there is some truth in it.

The Bristol press have said we have paid £150,000 plus add ons. Who knows if that’s right. He does give us an option to play two up front. Equally we know Bayo cannot play a full game , so gives us cover if Vokes is injured.

• Re all the strikers we have and why he would choose us too, I think it’s all part of us evolving.

Don’t forget Bayo won’t be here next year, Vokes potentially not either, and Kashket and Samuel aren’t getting much game time so unlikely to be in our long term plans.

• You know it makes sense.

• You can never have too many strikers!

• I agree @glasshalffull but I would like us to add that experienced CB cover now and that would be our squad complete for me.

• In Gaz we trust and the transfer window is still open.

• I still think Lavelle will arrive !!

• McCleary was definitely playing as a forward on Saturday and over the next three years we are likely to play 3 up front in some configuration as often as we play one. He may start on the bench but then it's up to him to make a case. I doubt we'd have given him a three year contract just to boost the bench a bit.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I still think Lavelle will arrive !!

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Tried to thumbs up but my thumb to screen size ratio seems to make that quite difficult recently

• I think he can also play as part of a three up front. But Vokes is not going to start every game, Bayo is going to be an impact sub, and he is an experienced forward. Also don't believe the bad publicity @DevC this is a great squad if you get the chance to watch us! :smile:

• To be fair, Dev has been to more away games than you this season @Wendoverman!

• @mooneyman said:
    To be fair, Dev has been to more away games than you this season @Wendoverman!

That is indeed the truth.

• @ReturnToSenda - any news on the grapevine regarding another incoming Tom?

• I still think Lavelle will arrive !!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @ReturnToSenda - any news on the grapevine regarding another incoming Tom?

No idea, sorry. I mean, I wish I had access to that particular grapevine in the first place!