Skip to content

Man City

Comments

• @OxfordBlue said:
    It looked like the plum draw at first glance, but the more you think about it, the more underwhelming it becomes financially.

It's still the plum draw for holders and best team and squad and all that stuff.

But money wise, no chance. The "Empty-had" is more than just a banter thing, and you fear it'll be the dreaded combo of low prices and disinterested fans.
    They can barely get up for champions league games after all!

Doesn't affect our trip though, that'll be marvellous.

• edited August 2021

Re. attendances, City can't win really. If they were packing the place out for every game, people would just be accused of being plastics. I think it's a good thing that their fan base hasn't dramatically swelled since the oil money. United obviously are, and always will be, the far bigger club anyway.

• @eric_plant said:

@ChasHarps said:

@eric_plant said:
    Altrincham away 1991

Don't think I'll ever get over that

Special mention to the Man City away win, and the Marcus Bean Carlisle game

Bloody hell Mr Plant, what was your reason for missing the Alty game ??
    Back in 85/85 went to every game in the Trophy including the two neutral venue games at Worcester. But I deeply regret missing the 5-5 draw at Leek on a mud bath.

Too young to go on my own and by the time I'd persuaded someone to take me the tickets had gone.

I've had many amazing memories watching Wycombe including many of the games mentioned in this thread, but I will always wish I'd been there that day

It's still my favourite memory, that we finally reached Wemvley after a 34 year gap. Grown men and old men crying with joy on the terraces .

• A non regrettable miss would have to be the Hyde United Trophy QF. I was absolutely desperate to go, but I think I'd have been to too young for my parents to let me go on the supports coaches. I still vividly recall the crushing heartbreak of Elton Welsby's words on the local news that evening "...but Wycombe lost to Hyde United" I was devastated. Probably still my worst moment as a Wycombe fan.

• Leeds
    Leicester
    Solihull in the Cup

• @Vincey said:
    Lincoln away 1999

I was only 8 at the time and my junior football team were playing in a tournament on the pitch at AP that morning. It was a tough choice and I made the wrong one, I played at AP again the year after

Lincoln away was staggering. I remember one of our travelling (dearly departed) friends barely showing any emotion at the end. We arrived at the MacDonalds on the A43 a good 2 hours later with him still silent and he simply said ‘fucking hell’. I don’t think a poet laureate could have described that day better.

• Is Leeds where Tommy Doc basically played like Pirlo and left shortly afterwards because he hated Gary Waddock?

• Similarly, lucky to have seen nearly all those big away trips. But I missed the Altringham semi in 91 due to not having a working car, and I'd like to have seen the Stuart Roberts show up at Northampton in 2003, both for the hat-trick and it being, I think, our best ever away result in the FL.

• edited August 2021

For me it would be the playoff final vs Preston. I had only really just started going to games regularly but I was too young to go to that on my own. As a result I never got to see Wycombe at the old Wembley. Happily I’ve been to all the others mentioned that have happened since.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Similarly, lucky to have seen nearly all those big away trips. But I missed the Altringham semi in 91 due to not having a working car, and I'd like to have seen the Stuart Roberts show up at Northampton in 2003, both for the hat-trick and it being, I think, our best ever away result in the FL.

He was something else that day.

I remain infuriated that 5-0 remains our biggest league win (and from memory we’ve only done it three time: Burnley, Northampton & Hartlepool). There have been so many games down the years where we look like we could score a bucket load but fail to do so. Maybe I’m just greedy.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    A non regrettable miss would have to be the Hyde United Trophy QF. I was absolutely desperate to go, but I think I'd have been to too young for my parents to let me go on the supports coaches. I still vividly recall the crushing heartbreak of Elton Welsby's words on the local news that evening "...but Wycombe lost to Hyde United" I was devastated. Probably still my worst moment as a Wycombe fan.

Hyde was a real sickness, we were in form, but never turned up.
    Kevin Durham missed a sitter to equalise in the final minutes.
    I went to Hyde twice in the Trophy and neither played on grass.
    In 81/82 it was like the baseball ground and the previously mentioned game was on plastic.

• @BlueBoy said:

I remain infuriated that 5-0 remains our biggest league win (and from memory we’ve only done it three time: Burnley, Northampton & Hartlepool). There have been so many games down the years where we look like we could score a bucket load but fail to do so. Maybe I’m just greedy.

I reckon this current team, with everyone fit and at their best, could easily do someone some serious damage this season. Does seem a bit odd that we've never scored more than 5 in almost 30 years in the league.

• @BlueBoy said:

My basic maths is 25000 (attendance) x 15 (ticket price) x 0.45 (gate receipts) = £168,750

30,000 (attendance) x 20(ticket) x 0.45 (gate receipts) = £270,000

Split the difference and it’s paid
    Sam V’s wages, well done TJ DeB.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Re. attendances, City can't win really. If they were packing the place out for every game, people would just be accused of being plastics. I think it's a good thing that their fan base hasn't dramatically swelled since the oil money. United obviously are, and always will be, the far bigger club anyway.

The strange thing, is that if you look at attendances in the 90s, they were usually fairly near the top.
    But these days it's almost a meme about their lack of fans. Commentators repeatedly talk about "traffic problems" as some sort of excuse for the masses of empty seats you see on the tv pictures.

• For me Torquay away is the easy winner for biggest regret. (Tied up taking a car load of kids to a concert in Manchester)

Second biggest regret is the night we won the Isthmian League at Bognor. Just about the only game I missed that season. (Tied up picking first wife up from the airport after 3 months in Australia)

Third biggest regret was not persuading my dad to take me to Italy to see the AC Monza first leg. That was the only game (including friendlies, etc - and there were loads) that I missed that season.

• What's the Catalan for 'Sh*thousery'?

• Bald Dapper Gentleman loses cool in tactical battle with Long Haired, Cowboy Booted Genius.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited August 2021

Someone mentioned train prices at £145. Is it any wonder that people just get in their car and drive it? For the record, I would be happy to pick people up and drop the back at their door, competitive rates.

• @Shev said:
    Bald Dapper Gentleman loses cool in tactical battle with Long Haired, Cowboy Booted Genius.

Tisdale and Gareth all over again...

• @Cretinho said:
    What's the Catalan for 'Sh*thousery'?

"casa de mierda"-ery

• @Twizz I would go with casa de mierdosidad

• I would go with 'Sergio Ramos'

• edited August 2021

Cheapest fare I can get from Dover To Manc via Euston is £119.40 (£28 return Dover to St Panc & £91.40 (Euston to Manc) so with match ticket & hotel Im looking at close to £200...

Let's hope its on the telly

• edited August 2021

Are City getting worried about playing us? Looks like Ronaldo is a done deal according to Portuguese press

• Not a practical train trip for anyone who lives north of Birmingham. I must admit if it goes to penalties I’d be pretty tight for a train home. (Not that I think I need to worry….)

• LX1LX1
    edited August 2021

@eric_plant said:
    Altrincham away 1991

Don't think I'll ever get over that

Special mention to the Man City away win, and the Marcus Bean Carlisle game

My top 3 also

edit. Carlisle away. first game in League

• edited August 2021

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

@BlueBoy said:

I reckon this current team, with everyone fit and at their best, could easily do someone some serious damage this season. Does seem a bit odd that we've never scored more than 5 in almost 30 years in the league.

We beat Crewe 6-1 at home a few years back. Kashket scored twice Gape got one on his debut. I remember we should have easily made it 7 or 8. Crewe were hopeless. Also won 5-0 at Chesterfield in the FA Cup that same season when they were in the league above us

Edit: Actually, my memory is sadly flawed. We only won 5-1 against Crewe that day. Should have doubled that score though

• @FmG said:
    If it was the FA Cup then maybe a chance for TV but for the league cup I think they're more likely to go for the all Premier League ties: Chelsea v Villa or Man Utd v West Ham or Wolves v Spurs.

Train prices are crazy (£145 for a basic return was the best I saw) so hopefully there will be plenty of coaches

Have seen £72 return but last train was 10pm.

• Missed Man City away victory, choosing to watch us lose 1-0 to Notts County on the Tuesday before. That said, I did hear Alan Hutchinson’s classic live commentary wrap up!

Other than that, was gutted to be working in Manchester for the classic FA Cup match against Wimbledon and had given up by the Torquay game (shame on me).

I agree with @ChasHarps - the Alty 2nd leg win was really something special that may never be bettered.

• It would be great if 'Ringing the Blues' returned for the City game with Hutch's interview recounting that day @bluntphil x