Skip to content

Man City

Comments

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    I also note that they are playing Chelsea on the Saturday following our game.

And the game after that is Liverpool so they won’t want any of their star players getting injured. I’ve looked back at their line ups for early round ties against EFL opponents in recent years and they do tend to field younger, less experienced players and rest their big names. Mind you, even their third X1 is pretty strong!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @Brownie it is being shown as Tuesday 21st at 7.45pm on the City website.

Well, that's me counted out. Hoping for TV coverage as a scant alternative.

• @Right_in_the_Middle It depends what the 'expected' crowd would have been at normal prices, what could be achieved at lower prices. And of course (from a non-commercial perspective) whether it's better to have a full or empty Etihad...

• Hope the club will be able to run extra coaches up - even a quick look at train times (and prices) suggests it'll be a nightmare / impossible to get home after.

• I think this is a shoe in for TV, they are the holders, we'll be the plucky underdogs.

• More likely to be televised if it was at Adams Park, I'd have thought. Producers will likely look at it and think "8-0 non-event".

• Like they probably did for our game at White Hart lane.

• edited August 2021

@Wanderers82 said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    @Brownie it is being shown as Tuesday 21st at 7.45pm on the City website.

would hope it gets TV coverage as they are the holders

We can hope, but what appeal does Man City at home to a lower league team have to any viewers?
    City aren't box office in a way United/Chelsea/Liverpool are, and there's much better ties out there for the neutral. (As much as we're delighted with it and think it's very important!)

• If it was the FA Cup then maybe a chance for TV but for the league cup I think they're more likely to go for the all Premier League ties: Chelsea v Villa or Man Utd v West Ham or Wolves v Spurs.

Train prices are crazy (£145 for a basic return was the best I saw) so hopefully there will be plenty of coaches

• @Brownie Man Utd vs West Ham is also listed as 7.45pm on 21/9 on the Man Utd site so there is hope yet

• edited August 2021

@JohnnyAllAlone said:
    @Brownie Man Utd vs West Ham is also listed as 7.45pm on 21/9 on the Man Utd site so there is hope yet

@JohnnyAllAlone said:
    @Brownie Man Utd vs West Ham is also listed as 7.45pm on 21/9 on the Man Utd site so there is hope yet

It'll just be the default to list games as the Tuesday for now.

However, with United already having a Sunday game previously, they can't play on the Tuesday, so it makes sense the City game would be the Tuesday.

United play Villa on the following Saturday, oddly clashing with a Courteeners gig (3.30pm start versus 3pm United kick off) at the Old Trafford Cricket Ground.

I suppose they could do something mad, and move City to Wednesday and United to Thursday, and move their Villa game to Sunday.
    But I'm pretty sure that gig "clash" has been approved, for some bizarre reason.

• Fully expect it to be on the Tuesday, just trying to bring a bit of hope into @Brownie's life as he is so gutted.

• I think we must be an attractive option for the game to be shown on TV as we do have a track record of tight games against Premier League opposition looking back with Chelsea, Charlton (League Cup), Liverpool, Leicester, Aston Villa, Spurs (FA Cup). None of those were "easy" matches and we have a proven record for providing a surprise result!

• Regarding the possibility of a TV game, had the tie been at Adams Park I would have said an absolute certainty but at the Etihad it is less attractive. I have a good contact at City and he tells me they are expecting a crowd in the region of 20,000.

• @LX1 said:
    City away in 99 is probably my biggest regrettable away miss.

Let's go there and beat them again.

Worth a thread all of its own.
    "Your most regrettable away miss"
    Mine was Leeds in 2010.
    Worst winter for years. Literally couldn't get the car out of our treacherously iced-up road.
    Thought there was no way the game would be on. Was gutted when I found out it was actually played.

• Altrincham away 1991

Don't think I'll ever get over that

Special mention to the Man City away win, and the Marcus Bean Carlisle game

• The two games I’d most like to have been at are the Wimbledon cup replay and survival at Torquay.

• Thankfully I got to Wimbledon cup replay, Leicester cup, Torquay survival... even the 4-3 Spurs loss was epic. I really regret missing the Bean 4-3 and the Chesterfield promotion game. Got a feeling this could be another game to add to the list.

• @FmG said:
    If it was the FA Cup then maybe a chance for TV but for the league cup I think they're more likely to go for the all Premier League ties: Chelsea v Villa or Man Utd v West Ham or Wolves v Spurs.

Train prices are crazy (£145 for a basic return was the best I saw) so hopefully there will be plenty of coaches

Train prices are crazy what would we do without national express

• Ronaldo and Sterling? Not sure Josh and Curtis will be on the pitch for the whole 90.

• @eric_plant said:
    Altrincham away 1991

Bloody hell Mr Plant, what was your reason for missing the Alty game ??
    Back in 85/85 went to every game in the Trophy including the two neutral venue games at Worcester. But I deeply regret missing the 5-5 draw at Leek on a mud bath.

• Out of interest anyone know how much this game could be worth to us?

• edited August 2021

I’d hazard a guess at somewhere between £150-£200k. This is based on us receiving 45% of gate receipts and no TV money.

My basic maths is 25000 (attendance) x 15 (ticket price) x 0.45 (gate receipts) = £168,750

• It looked like the plum draw at first glance, but the more you think about it, the more underwhelming it becomes financially.

• Sunderland v Wigan could be a fiesty affair...a few of the Mackem players who were not good enough are now at Wigan...

• "Most regrettable away miss"

For me it would be Torquay, Tottenham, Man City. Possibly also Grimsby in the 2001 FA Cup run, as I went to all the other matches.

@NewburyWanderer The Leeds match was great, we should have won having completely outplayed them. Didn't Paul Merson joke on Sky that the Wycombe fans must've travelled up together in a taxi? There was actually over 600 of us which was a remarkable effort given the frozen state of the country!

For a regrettable home miss. Has to be our 11-1 win over Windsor in the B&B, mainly because as a kid, I used to go to all the home games, but for some reason I thought I wouldn't bother with that one. Couldn't believe it when someone at school told me the score the next day.

• @ChasHarps said:

@eric_plant said:
    Altrincham away 1991

Bloody hell Mr Plant, what was your reason for missing the Alty game ??
    Back in 85/85 went to every game in the Trophy including the two neutral venue games at Worcester. But I deeply regret missing the 5-5 draw at Leek on a mud bath.

Too young to go on my own and by the time I'd persuaded someone to take me the tickets had gone.

I've had many amazing memories watching Wycombe including many of the games mentioned in this thread, but I will always wish I'd been there that day

• Lincoln away 1999

I was only 8 at the time and my junior football team were playing in a tournament on the pitch at AP that morning. It was a tough choice and I made the wrong one, I played at AP again the year after

• My recollection of the Leeds game was that they had beaten ManU in the FA Cup the week before and the fans and players were still so absorbed in that particular 'Lord Mayor's Show' that when they went ahead after only 2 or 3 mins mins it was classically arrogant 'game over' attitude against the plucky minnows of their league. Not realising it was our Cup Final, and not expecting an excellent equaliser from Pittman, they couldn't then get themselves back into the game and we more than deserved our point.

I feel blessed to have been to all the 'regrettable misses' listed so far, even the 11-1, but in equal first place, for me, must be not being allowed to go, as a kid, to either the Bournemouth or the Middlesborough away replays in 1974/5.