Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage (League cup)

Comments

• If I were a Stevenage fan I'd be pretty gutted. They deserved to hang on really. I was very impressed with the style of football they were trying to play, a far cry from the Westley sides of the past.

Early days of course but Tjay De Barr looks like another gem. Bags of pace, very good first touch, and he popped up in the right place at the right time for the equaliser and finished very nicely indeed.

Also thought Tafazolli's return from injury was very promising. Played very well for 45 minutes

• @Wanderers82 said:
    such sour grapes from revell in post match interview

Didn’t cover himself in glory at the end when Ainsworth had to try about three times to get him to shake hands.

• Sour grapes? Not sure where you're getting that from.

The one on the Stevenage Twitter feed is just him saying they deserved to win the game (they did) and that's he's disappointed

• Hardly Neil Warnock is it?

Still, it is annoying when people whinge about referees I'll give you that

• Agreed, it’s not the worst thing in the world, but it is another reminder how lucky we are to have Ainsworth who is always positive and constructive.

• I for one hope it was sour grapes! Because I was gutted when I thought he was about to sign for us but then buggered off elsewhere at the 11th hour all those years ago!

• @glasshalffull said:
    Max Ram, 20 year old defender who was on books of Leicester and Nottingham Forest. Signed recently for development squad.

Obviously been working with Beano on his throw-ins.

• Lots to takeaway from the game and lessons learned. We have several diamonds in the rough in the development squad. Ram looked comfortable, TJ is something different, Burley would have learned, Pendlebury is ready.
    Injuries again in the wrong positions leaves us exposed. Not much you can do about bad luck. Tafazoli is a giant and essential for our season.

On the who didn’t play front disappointed that Kashket looks closer to the exit than first team. Wheeler still not ready. No sign of Gape or McCarthy suggesting they won’t be around for the weekend either.

• I don't think I'd have Gape in my first choice eleven at present, even if fully fit.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    such sour grapes from revell in post match interview

To be fair

• it was a clear penalty at the end. Antony Stewart cleaned out their guy after the cross

• nonsense about not shaking hands. He shook hands with Gaz immediately, complained about something (almost certainly the not-given penalty, which happened, or not happened, seconds before) and then, after a little chat,shook hands again.

• @OakwoodExile you’re right, I missed that they shook hands right at the start. Apologies to Alex Revell.

• edited August 2021

On the who didn’t play front disappointed that Kashket looks closer to the exit than first team

Assuming Kashket is fit and not making the squad, and with the emergence of De Barr as an option, I’d imagine Kashket will be going out on loan. He’s too good not to be playing football.

• @HCblue said:
    I don't think I'd have Gape in my first choice eleven at present, even if fully fit.

We have options for sure in that position and I would certainly want him to be one of them. At the moment for me if we have 2 players in that central role it Scowen plus Thompson or Pendlebury.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@HCblue said:
    I don't think I'd have Gape in my first choice eleven at present, even if fully fit.

We have options for sure in that position and I would certainly want him to be one of them. At the moment for me if we have 2 players in that central role it Scowen plus Thompson or Pendlebury.

I think I'm the same, with a strong predisposition towards Thompson over Pendlebury.

• @Chris said:
    Agreed, it’s not the worst thing in the world, but it is another reminder how lucky we are to have Ainsworth who is always positive and constructive.

Not sure you've watched many GA interviews if you think he doesn't whinge about referees!

• I'd be amazed if a finally fit Gape wasn't needed at some point over a full season. Pendlebury has a bit to prove yet and there will be times for rotation.

• On a side note the Stevenage stewards were utter goons. A fair number of them were minimum wage standard fare with ill fitting coats, they were ok. But there a number of them that seemed to think they were guarding Joe Biden. Ear pieces, marine inspired hand gestures, diving into the perfectly acceptable celebrations when the goal was scored. When they were setting up for the penalties it was a military operation for them. What a bunch of ego muppets.

I told one to calm down and he looked at me with rage

• @bicester_blue said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Max Ram, 20 year old defender who was on books of Leicester and Nottingham Forest. Signed recently for development squad.

Obviously been working with Beano on his throw-ins.

I thought exactly the same - two feet on the ground is something you learn as a kid!! That aside, I thought he looked very comfortable - his positional play was excellent.

• Have we ever had a larger age gap between two goal scorers?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    On a side note the Stevenage stewards were utter goons. A fair number of them were minimum wage standard fare with ill fitting coats, they were ok. But there a number of them that seemed to think they were guarding Joe Biden. Ear pieces, marine inspired hand gestures, diving into the perfectly acceptable celebrations when the goal was scored. When they were setting up for the penalties it was a military operation for them. What a bunch of ego muppets.

I told one to calm down and he looked at me with rage

Particularly enjoyed one steward trying to stop Bayo walking up to his friends and family at the front of the crowd at the end of the game. Needless to say he wasn't stopped.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Very impressive team performance tonight that shows the depth of our squad,,,which is unusual. Second half we were second best but in injury time we stepped up and TJ scored a cracking goal in front of the away end.

Bizarrely the pens were then taken in front of an empty stand when they could have been taken in front of us Wycombe fans.

I presume Stevenage won the toss and chose the end away from us. Hence we chose to go first with the penalties.

• Just watched the youtube highlights...nice goal from Bayo. We might be making hard work of it, but people getting games and progressing in a major cup is not to be sneezed at!

• edited August 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just watched the Gaz post match interview. I know I defended Alex Revell earlier, but really the honesty and generosity of Gaz's praise of Stevenage is something else.

• A class act to be sure.

• Horgan has been putting balls there ever since he arrived. TJ is pretty much the first to get in the right place...

• I know it is early days and there may be some more players coming in (or not) but very proud how we have started what will be a very tough season. I think getting a point at Wigan, keeping Lincoln out and TJ's late goal last night shows the commitment of the players we have even when outplayed or up against it. Three points against Sunderland will be a great bonus!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Horgan has been putting balls there ever since he arrived. TJ is pretty much the first to get in the right place...

That might be a decent shout, I think we thought Horgan would be the one to vary it a bit and get on the forwards wavelength a bit more, but if the two of them can cook up goals in whatever way works they will both play a lot more often.

• Yes, I could see the two gelling quite well, I think. Horgan has linked very well with McLeary so far this season and DeBarr is similar in the way he seems to make pacy runs that Horgan would be attuned to finding.