Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage (League cup)

Comments

• Blues win 5-3

• Apart from 1 straight at the keeper which somehow went in, 4 excellent penalties

• Pulled another League Cup victory from the jaws of defeat. Well done all. Carabao: Feel the Magic.

• Nice, Rest a few and still get the win. Onwards. No giving in.

• Win 5-3 De Barr seals it

• Good outcome overall. Great for a couple of players to get a debut and De Barr to score as well.

Arsenal away for a payday and an easy route to round 4 please.

• Thanks to everyone posting updates.

• About to have an impromptu street party here in Gibraltar

• Really pleased with that. The third round of the League Cup for only the third (?) time in our history is definitely worth celebrating. Well done to a makeshift team who got the job done.

• Just to clarify, no MOTM thread from me on cup games, so we'll have to make do with the informal opinions of those who saw the drama unfold!

• Good to see some of the squad players get a chance.

Odd that Kashket isn't getting any minutes, but there could be an innocent explanation (not fully fit etc).

• Good old Sky Sports news, "Special Post-Match" , trail all the action from all those games. Then 10 minutes wanging about Mbappe rumours.

• Extremely bizarre evening with a euphoric finish. Stevenage completely overran us in the second half, till they made it 2-1 and we started to play ourselves back in. Loved Tjay's cameo, great first touch, great desire and effort and a brilliant finish to boot. Followed up by the confidence to step up for the final penalty. Great signs - we just aren't losing games even when we aren't quite on it.

• Just wondered have we ever had a higher total of all our shirt numbers added together in a game?

• Tjay de Barr is definitely one to keep an ey on for the future!
    Great win with a very trialist look about it. Coyb!!!!

• Third round draw takes place tomorrow evening after the Baggies game. There was a discussion a while ago about teams we have still not had a competitive fixture against, away to any of those would be favourite for me

• @Ed_ said:
    Third round draw takes place tomorrow evening after the Baggies game. There was a discussion a while ago about teams we have still not had a competitive fixture against, away to any of those would be favourite for me

For sure! Especially Man United or Arsenal (assuming regional split is done?)

• edited August 2021

@Shev said:

@Ed_ said:
    Third round draw takes place tomorrow evening after the Baggies game. There was a discussion a while ago about teams we have still not had a competitive fixture against, away to any of those would be favourite for me

For sure! Especially Man United or Arsenal (assuming regional split is done?)

Yeah, no more regional split. City at home! Or Leeds - so we can marvel at Bielsa-ball and Marcelo's extraordinary squatting skills.

• @Glenactico said:
    Good outcome overall. Great for a couple of players to get a debut and De Barr to score as well.

Arsenal away for a payday and an easy route to round 4 please.

That's assuming Arsenal win tomorrow.

• 34,000 at Elland Road tonight (home to Crewe). Tickets were £15 adults, £5 U-16

• What an evening! I was able to go tonight and I'm so grateful I went. I was sitting in front of both family and friends of Anis Mehmeti who I found good conversation with. I think we played well today, apart from that horrible 20 minutes from when they scored their first goal. About 3 minutes before normal time ended I was sat there wondering "I think we could get lucky" - and we did. A brilliant cross by Horgan met with the terrier like Tjay de Barr was such a wonderful sight to see. I just remember the crowd losing it, me hugging people and just being happy full stop. Penalties was a great success too, with no one missing the target for us.

I also believe everyone had a good game, ranging from the established first team players to the inexperienced b team players. I think Kaikai was the only one who I think was a bit to hot and cold at times but let's face it, he's out of position at the moment so that's understandable. I didn't really notice Pryzbek to much either. Ram, Tafazolli, JJ, Burley, Obita and Akinfenwa impressed me with their performances in the first half. Akinfenwa showed that he can still bully defenders of the lower leagues and I believe he'll still be an important player for us. Stewart, Horgan and De Barr also really impressed me from the bench today. I hope Tafazolli was taken off as a precaution to keep him fit at all costs. He really showed his quality today.

Onto Sunderland on Saturday...

C
    O
    Y
    B
    !

• Lovely interview with Tjay on the club twitter. Comes across as a very humble young lad. Hope he does well for us.

• @thedieharder said:
    What an evening! I was able to go tonight and I'm so grateful I went. I was sitting in front of both family and friends of Anis Mehmeti who I found good conversation with. I think we played well today, apart from that horrible 20 minutes from when they scored their first goal. About 3 minutes before normal time ended I was sat there wondering "I think we could get lucky" - and we did. A brilliant cross by Horgan met with the terrier like Tjay de Barr was such a wonderful sight to see. I just remember the crowd losing it, me hugging people and just being happy full stop. Penalties was a great success too, with no one missing the target for us.

I also believe everyone had a good game, ranging from the established first team players to the inexperienced b team players. I think Kaikai was the only one who I think was a bit to hot and cold at times but let's face it, he's out of position at the moment so that's understandable. I didn't really notice Pryzbek to much either. Ram, Tafazolli, JJ, Burley, Obita and Akinfenwa impressed me with their performances in the first half. Akinfenwa showed that he can still bully defenders of the lower leagues and I believe he'll still be an important player for us. Stewart, Horgan and De Barr also really impressed me from the bench today. I hope Tafazolli was taken off as a precaution to keep him fit at all costs. He really showed his quality today.

Onto Sunderland on Saturday...

C
    O
    Y
    B
    !

Great post!

And Mehmeti's family confirmed he is signing for another three years, right?

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Is Max Ram better than Max Power I wonder?

Already done this one when first signed, keep up.

Quality stuff bears repetition @perfidious_albion ?

• edited August 2021

An eventful evening.

Thought we were good in the first half - the stats at that point bore out my impression, too, with ten shots, five of which on target, against the one for them. Then the game completely turned in the second half. Stevenage deserve a lot of credit for showing huge appetite to get back into the game, playing with pace and positivity. I felt we were completely overrun in midfield and they managed to transition from defence into attack with remarkable speed. We were on the back foot, not helped by a real lack of cohesion with the ball - a regrettable regression from the first half. That said, both goals seemed tremendously sloppy. We would have had no complaints had we lost.

Tjay Debarr is great! I love his energy and enthusiasm. A great cross from Horgan for the equaliser but I'm not sure anyone other than maybe Kashket would have got onto it to score. Well done, him, and yes, his interview on the club's Twitter feed is lovely. Good luck to him in the coming months. I hope it works out for him. He seems to have a good touch, plenty of pace, and some strength. A very different type of player to most recent forward signings.

Tom and his drum were really, really, really, really bad tonight. It pretty much ruined the experience of being at the game for my son and me and, I fancy, for a good number of others. We moved further away when it became too much but the incessant (and it was that despite something of a diminishment as each half went on), mindless and enormous noise lacked any sympathy with the events of the game or the mood of anyone in the crowd except Tom himself. I hate to write this since I like Tom very much and see him as a fundamentally good sort but it was so bad that I feel I have to record it. I do not do so lightly. I still have a headache from the noise.

I was happy to hear Gareth's interview on 3CR on the way home for the fact that he acknowledged the subpar nature of the second half performance. I would have been a bit concerned had he not - we were really not good in that period - but am reassured that he saw the game for what it had been. Glad to be through and looking forward to the next round and, before that, Saturday.

Short highlights are on Sky:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12389952/stevenage-2-2-wycombe-3-5-pens

• Very impressive team performance tonight that shows the depth of our squad,,,which is unusual. Second half we were second best but in injury time we stepped up and TJ scored a cracking goal in front of the away end.

Bizarrely the pens were then taken in front of an empty stand when they could have been taken in front of us Wycombe fans.

• such sour grapes from revell in post match interview