Skip to content

Comments

• Great analysis Tom. Thank you very much.

• Very insightful analysis, thanks @ReturnToSenda

• As always Tom, a really good read and insight into the game

• Great analysis Tom. I have to say I was really looking forward to seeing the average position map and it didn’t disappoint.

• Yes the average position map tells it all, High press and possession. Amazing only Grimmer and Stewart had average positions in their own half out of our outfield players. Such detail Tom.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Great analysis Tom. I have to say I was really looking forward to seeing the average position map and it didn’t disappoint.

Looks kind of scary without context, doesn't it! Worth getting the SofaScore app if you're interested in that kind of stuff; they use Opta's feed and update graphics like that in real time.

• Thank you Tom. You made it easy to comprehend, digest and understand a subject with a good deal of complexity. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

• edited August 2021

@railwaysteve said:
    Thank you Tom. You made it easy to comprehend, digest and understand a subject with a good deal of complexity. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Thank you! That's a relief to hear actually, as I worry explaining concepts like those clearly/concisely is my weak point. So that's promising.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@railwaysteve said:
    Thank you Tom. You made it easy to comprehend, digest and understand a subject with a good deal of complexity. Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Thank you! That's a relief to hear actually, as I worry explaining concepts like those clearly/concisely is my weak point. So that's promising.

Not at all, I always feel smarter for having read one of your emails. Great work as always.

• Excellent - thank you.

• @JohnBoy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@railwaysteve said:

Not at all, I always feel smarter for having read one of your emails. Great work as always.

Tbh, I do mainly just use and slightly reword the Opta definitions - which means they must be doing a good job over there!

• Tom, your excellent overview and simple explanation of a complex subject is a joy to read and follow. Thank you so much.

• Thank you for this work. Well presented and more importantly very interesting and informative. Answers questions that I would not ask anybody because I would not wish to be considered a football ignoramous.

• Excellent, thank-you @ReturnToSenda. I may not always get some of these new metrics (what's the difference between average starting position and heat map?, for example) or indeed understand the need for them but your certainly right in your player assessments.
    I think this season has the potential to be quite good fun.

• Listening to the Sunderland podcast @ReturnToSenda do you really think Lincoln was our best performance so far? I thought we were better against Accrington...but that could just be rose-coloured glasses.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Listening to the Sunderland podcast @ReturnToSenda do you really think Lincoln was our best performance so far? I thought we were better against Accrington...but that could just be rose-coloured glasses.

And for the record that isn't me also saying that on the mackems site! :smile:

• @Wendoverman said:
    Listening to the Sunderland podcast @ReturnToSenda do you really think Lincoln was our best performance so far? I thought we were better against Accrington...but that could just be rose-coloured glasses.

I thought it was a more cohesive performance and that we were more in control, but Accy certainly wasn't a bad performance.

• @Twizz said:
    Excellent, thank-you @ReturnToSenda. I may not always get some of these new metrics (what's the difference between average starting position and heat map?, for example) or indeed understand the need for them but your certainly right in your player assessments.
    I think this season has the potential to be quite good fun.

Average position is literally just where a player was on average, whereas a heat map shows everywhere that player was, with darker areas meaning they did more 'work' there (although they don't tell you what - it could have just been aimless running - which is why they get a not entirely unfair bad rep).