Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Hanlan has attitude issues according to a horse puncher mate. Gaz not keen on bad apples so maybe it’s a Barton spin?

• I think I'd have attitude issues if I were managed by Barton!

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    I think I'd have attitude issues if I were managed by Barton!

??

• Funnily enough until now I’ve not seen the link between Ernest jShackleton and Joey Barton

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Funnily enough until now I’ve not seen the link between Ernest jShackleton and Joey Barton

You do have to wonder how many of the crew would have been headbutted during two years on the polar ice-caps?

• Not sure Shackleton would have wasted a good cigar by stubbing it out in the eye of a junior mid shipman.

• Swap deal.....Kashket for Hanlan?

Hanlan only scored 9 last season in League One, something that I think Kashket is capable of himself. It would definitely seem as though something has happened there.

• Shackleton heroic explorer and inspirational leader who achieved the greatest single feat of seamanship and endurance on the one hand and Joey Barton on the other.

I’d say they were polar opposites

• Progression being blocked probably just the latest reason for parents to be wary of sending their kids to Crewe!

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Shackleton heroic explorer and inspirational leader who achieved the greatest single feat of seamanship and endurance on the one hand and Joey Barton on the other.

Underrated pun.

• @Shev said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    Shackleton heroic explorer and inspirational leader who achieved the greatest single feat of seamanship and endurance on the one hand and Joey Barton on the other.

Underrated pun.

Clever construct to land the pun.
    However, Shackleton was a flawed character whose ‘heroic’ story was promulgated to serve the creaking British Empire WWI propaganda machine.
    Great seamanship? He got his ship irrevocably stuck in pack ice. Putting his men in life threatening danger, so……..
    Heroic and inspirational? The war was five days old when he set off glory hunting from Britain for the southern ocean, couldn’t those resources be better deployed closer to home.
    Indeed he personified much that was rotten with ‘the ‘lions led by donkeys’ tragedy of the Great War.
    Anyway, back to the footie……

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Shev said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Underrated pun.

Clever construct to land the pun.
    However, Shackleton was a flawed character whose ‘heroic’ story was promulgated to serve the creaking British Empire WWI propaganda machine.
    Great seamanship? He got his ship irrevocably stuck in pack ice. Putting his men in life threatening danger, so……..
    Heroic and inspirational? The war was five days old when he set off glory hunting from Britain for the southern ocean, couldn’t those resources be better deployed closer to home.
    Indeed he personified much that was rotten with ‘the ‘lions led by donkeys’ tragedy of the Great War.
    Anyway, back to the footie……

You'd still have him over Barton

• Yeah, requesitioning Shackleton’s supplies would have shortened the war by years.

• edited August 2021

Actually, Shackleton, after his men agreed, put the ship at the disposal of the war effort, sitting in the mouth of the Thames the day it was declared. Despite the years of planning and financing, they were prepared to throw it all into the hands of the government. The government told them to proceed, seeing the expedition as being of too much significance to cancel, despite the looming war.

As far as seamanship, Shackleton was really the land expert, but he was part of the six-strong crew who managed to pilot a 22 foot boat over 800 miles of the worst seas in the world and hit the needle in the haystack of South Georgia Island, where he led three of the six on a death defying land march which had never been accomplished, and was not done again for another 40 years. Not exactly leading from the back!

Definitely not arguing the flawed character aspect - speaking as one myself. But to not be moved by that story of endurance is incredible!

• Back to the summer transfer theories though, with a week left until the end of the window it must now be coming close to decision time for players who are mulling over their options. Can’t be a bad thing to have ten points in the bag and be sitting second in the table.

• @Ed_ said:
    Back to the summer transfer theories though, with a week left until the end of the window it must now be coming close to decision time for players who are mulling over their options. Can’t be a bad thing to have ten points in the bag and be sitting second in the table.

I agree Ed, and I’ve just got a feeling that we could get some pretty experienced cb coming in on loan if we don’t end up getting Lavelle (is he still at Morecambe?). To a cb in the championship, early / mid 30’s, final year of contract, you just might be tempted by us rather than if we were down the bottom especially with Stockdale, Vokes and McCleary having made the move recently.

• edited August 2021

Are there any ex-Reading players still knocking about? Would be amazed if GMac didn't have quite a large influence on getting Obtia to sign - and he's known Olly Pendlebury for years as well and seen him come through.

• There’s not much out on the grapevine about Lavelle at the moment, would be the icing in the cake for us but if not him I’m looking forward to seeing what rabbits are pulled out of the hat. We all trust the management team enough now to be sure that those rabbits exist.

• I’d suspect Lavelle is a bit dead in the water, especially if Taf plays at any stage tonight. Will be interesting to see if we get any other movement. GA likes to keep the squad small so wouldn’t surprise me if we brought in a few young prem loanees for cover and that was it

• If Taf is fit, a loan move for an alternative CB could arise. But Morecambe will also realise this, and with Lavelle turning down a new contract offer, they will be aware they will receive significantly less in the Jan window.
    The fact that being accused of tapping up players has pretty much disappeared, as agents work for multiple players, and it's not difficult to get a message to an agent of what you would be prepared to offer in terms of salary to a player in the last year of his contact.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Are there any ex-Reading players still knocking about? Would be amazed if GMac didn't have quite a large influence on getting Obtia to sign - and he's known Olly Pendlebury for years as well and seen him come through.

Jayden Onen could be a useful signing. Highly promising stats already at youth level. I dont know why he hasn't already been snapped up although I think he was on trial at Doncaster Rovers earlier on.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jayden-onen/profil/spieler/551427

• it's very interesting, belatedly reading that thread on Bayo's signing. I seem to have kept my counsel - wisely as it turned out. I had no idea how it would turn out, but I remember being alarmed at some mention (I think in the club coverage) of "Twitter engagement scores", which made it sound like it was led by the social media strategy.

I see that things didn't immediately get better from a gasroom perspective. Results were really patchy at the start of that season and in the thread on the Col U game on 27th August, the "beginning of the end for Ainsworth" theory was still current and Twitter engagement was a cause of cynical comment for a while. Presumably that dissipated through the autumn, as the results started to pick up and was gone as the cup run and the new year got into swing. But I remember particularly the Crewe game (5-1), as a bit of a turning point. Of course that was most notable for the emergence of Scott Kashket from the bench to score twice and Gape's first goal. Akinfenwa didn't feature and Hayes was crucial in setting up a few goals.

Personally, I remember being persuaded about Bayo at the Bristol City League Cup tie. He got the ball on the edge of the Robins' area, with his back to goal, juggled it, jigged and turned impressively, holding off about 6 defenders, got fouled and smiled. "This could be fun", I thought. And it was. Regardless of what the Twitter engagement scores were.

• We were lucky there was no rumour about signing Ernest Shackleton...that might have seen the end of Ainsworth.

• @our_frank said:
    it's very interesting, belatedly reading that thread on Bayo's signing. I seem to have kept my counsel - wisely as it turned out. I had no idea how it would turn out, but I remember being alarmed at some mention (I think in the club coverage) of "Twitter engagement scores", which made it sound like it was led by the social media strategy.

I see that things didn't immediately get better from a gasroom perspective. Results were really patchy at the start of that season and in the thread on the Col U game on 27th August, the "beginning of the end for Ainsworth" theory was still current and Twitter engagement was a cause of cynical comment for a while. Presumably that dissipated through the autumn, as the results started to pick up and was gone as the cup run and the new year got into swing. But I remember particularly the Crewe game (5-1), as a bit of a turning point. Of course that was most notable for the emergence of Scott Kashket from the bench to score twice and Gape's first goal. Akinfenwa didn't feature and Hayes was crucial in setting up a few goals.

Personally, I remember being persuaded about Bayo at the Bristol City League Cup tie. He got the ball on the edge of the Robins' area, with his back to goal, juggled it, jigged and turned impressively, holding off about 6 defenders, got fouled and smiled. "This could be fun", I thought. And it was. Regardless of what the Twitter engagement scores were.

I'm sure Bayo played in the Checkatrade (or whatever it was called) in his first season.
    The idea of that later on in his spell seems madness.

• he is for the development team ? I was hoping for proven 1st teamers...hopefully will follow

• Can't be many new signings unveiled at someone else's ground!

• He said on social media: "I just need an opportunity and a manager to believe in me". That's practically the Bat Signal, for Gaz and Dobbo...