Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• There was a similar incident with one of Bloomfield’s million head injuries a couple of years ago that did result in us conceding a goal. I can see exactly why the Wycombe players were so furious.

• Back to the game… I’m glad to report that I AM now sold on Obita. And to go full @aloysius, LOOK HOW GOOD FREEMAN IS LIKE I’VE BEEN TELLING YOU ALL ALONG.

I’ve just watched the bit where Freeman bursts out of defence with the ball and gets it all the way up the other end leading to Vokes getting smashed and booked for complaining

• Nick’s rubbing it in all your faces now. Just bamboozled two defenders and put in a pinpoint cross. I will never understand how anyone can watch Freeman and not think he’s a fantastic player.

• @drcongo said:
    Nick’s rubbing it in all your faces now. Just bamboozled two defenders and put in a pinpoint cross. I will never understand how anyone can watch Freeman and not think he’s a fantastic player.

Keep watching...

• @drcongo said:
    Nick’s rubbing it in all your faces now. Just bamboozled two defenders and put in a pinpoint cross. I will never understand how anyone can watch Freeman and not think he’s a fantastic player.

Totally agree, although events you'll get to later in the game may make it irrelevant for a while.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@bookertease said:

@woodlands said:
    Here's a question around the incident in the first half when their number 9 was lying injured in the penalty area as play carried on around him. The ref eventually stopped play and called on the trainer who attended to him for quite a while. Had they scored during the ref's very delayed reaction to the injury - would it have counted?

I think I’m the only one on here (and in the ground) but I actually don’t have a problem with the referee letting the phase of play continue with their guy on the ground (unless it was a head injury).

Lincoln were on the attack and it seemed fair to let play continue as it was hardly to their advantage being one player down.

And once we won the ball back, then seemed the right time to stop play. I’d have been annoyed if the ref had stopped play if it was the other way round.

Our players reactions were a bit disappointing I thought, even if he had judged it wrong but did contribute to the ref losing the plot up to half time

I'm amazed at this viewpoint. Maybe only you and the ref share it?

It's either an injury that needs immediate stopping, or you wait until someone puts the ball out surely.

You don't give them license to play on around their own supposedly badly injured team mate, then decide to cut it off the second their attack breaks down.
    It was baffling.

It made some sense to me, too. Happy for the ref to allow the attack to continue at first so long as it did not seem the player was either interfering with play or seriously injured. When he stayed down and the attack was negated with us winning the ball but not having an obvious, realistic counter-attacking opportunity, perfectly happy that he stop play for attention to be given to the chap. Quite a gash on his cheek he had, as it happens.

Surely laying down in the penalty area he would be interfering in play. Defenders trying to not stand on him for one thing, attackers likewise. What if someone shots and the ball deflects off him, wrong foots Stockdale and the ball goes in the net? For me, it was a head injury and play should have Bern stopped immediately. ?

Yup. Didn't say he wasn't interfering with play - I'm neutral on that - but that it was conceivable that the referee thought not in the circumstances. If it was a head injury, as it was, I also understand play should stop according to the rules (as I understand them to be), but that's not the same as the referee immediately being aware it was so at the time.

• @drcongo said:

I really enjoy seeing him on the ball and always have done. There's a languid ease to him that has always promised something to my ignorant eye. I'm hoping RWB, where he seems at ease, will suit him as it suited Fred last season and help him produce his best.

• Still watching, Nick is still magnificent.

Sadly I do know what’s coming as I listened to Phil yesterday and read this thread.

• Just seen the corner given away at a goal kick. Utterly laughable.

• @drcongo - I presume your running commentary is a smokescreen so we don't read all the posts on

https://gasroom.org/discussion/2118/new-signing-alert/p1

... boy did some of us make ourselves look foolish that day?

It's a good job we didn't commit our thoughts to a football forum so someone could remind us 5 years later

• @Twizz said:
    @drcongo - I presume your running commentary is a smokescreen so we don't read all the posts on

It's a good job we didn't commit our thoughts to a football forum so someone could remind us 5 years later

Some woeful stuff on there.

Imagine going so hard in on a view like that before you'd even seen him play for us :D

• edited August 2021

It was a dreadful challenge on Freeman but given James Bell was possibly the most incompetent referee I've seen in at least five years, it's no surprise the culprit got away with it scot-free.

• @Twizz said:
    @drcongo - I presume your running commentary is a smokescreen so we don't read all the posts on

It's a good job we didn't commit our thoughts to a football forum so someone could remind us 5 years later.

Having opinions on football players is a risky business. Once upon a time I remember lauding the signing of James Harper. Oh dear!

• TBF hindsight is a wonderful thing and you have to remember the context of the second half of that 15/16 season. We scored 6 goals in our last 10 games and even our most ardent fan could not argue that the Hayes / Thomson / Ugwu strike force at the time had been a lot of fun to watch. This was a year after the playoff final and it felt like we'd gone backwards from the football of that season. Of course a lot of people were then extremely sceptical when we wheeled out Akinfenwa.

In reality we underestimated both Akinfenwa's ability to perform so well in a system so perfectly tailored to his strengths, but also Ainsworth's ability to plan and recruit for that system. The rest is history...

• Hard to pick a man of the match from that, they were all superb. Scowen maybe just shades it from Freeman for me.

Have to say I expected more from Lincoln. Aside from Scully and the sub who came on late they were very poor. Considerably worse than Accy were on the opening day. Disjointed and with delusions of grandeur, like watching Oxford two seasons ago.

Agree with whoever it was who pointed out the tactical master stroke from Gaz and Dobbo about our extreme press absolutely killing their game plan. They had no plan B though. Ironic.

• @Twizz said:

Got to say that @Chris came out of it rather well.

Also interesting to see we were in year 3 of the 5 year plan at the time. I remember thinking that was all bollocks…

And also nostalgic seeing some of the old names who have disappeared in the past 5 years

• To be fair, I wasn't anywhere near as acerbic as I'd remembered.

Dr Congo on the other hand .......

• To be fair, I remember saying Jo Kuffour was the signing we needed to replace Beavon.

• @Chris Your analysis in that thread is spot on. Where I watched Murphy nullify Bayo against us the previous season and decided it was because Bayo was past it, you called it right.

• @Twizz said:

I loved having that bit of inside knowledge. All came about as a pal or mine saw a Wycombe director with a player who they were going through the motions of signing. They had no idea who the player was but the first couple of words of their description made it quite easy to figure out.

• I’m now intrigued as to how they recognised a Wycombe director but not the player.

• I usually avoid commenting on signings until I've seen them play for us which has served me well to some extent but I had totally forgotten about @Wwfc2015_ . His characteristic comments on Akinfenwe were perhaps less surprising than those of some of our normally far more restrained brethren.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I know it's all about opinions and all that hoopla but I'm struggle to comprehend how anyone can come away from Adams Park not feeling as giddy as a goat!

This team is simply wonderful to watch. There is so much quality, which added to the endeavour makes for such an entertaining side. I think this might be the best team we've ever had.

The key is the 3-4-2-1 formation which works to perfection. I love that Gareth Ainsworth, supposedly a manager who eschews flair, sets up with not one No. 10 but two! It really is bringing out the best in Daryl Horgan and as for Garath McCleary... what a pleasure it is to watch him!

Every player yesterday was superb and the high press was brilliant to watch. It worked so well, thanks to the willingness to press by Curtis Thompson and Josh Scowen. The wing-backs were pivotal again, ensuring we play in the opposition half and Jordan Obita got a well-deserved assist.

Jack Grimmer, Anthony Stewart and Joe Jacobson look so comfortable in a back three and with David Stockdale behind them, it's no surprise. I think it's already hard to argue that he is the best goalkeeper we have ever had, and I am a huge Paul Hyde fanboy.

I love how we've made two excellent teams in Accrington Stanley and Lincoln City look ordinary. I love how we've completely knocked them off their game and struggle to find alternatives. That is testimony to how hard the players work but also to Gareth Ainsworth and Richard Dobson's tactical acumen.

We are very lucky to be watching a team as good as this. I am going to enjoy it for at long as it lasts. I can't wait to see what we do to Sunderland!

I’ve just caught up with today’s issue of the Gasroom. Even amidst the general justifiable positivity, @glasshalfempty’s post stands out brilliantly. Also loved @Vital’s reaction. Only nitpicking comment I have (some old leopards never change their spots) concerns the reference to David Stockdale in the fifth paragraph. I think it’s actually easy to argue that he is the best goalkeeper we’ve ever had. Martin Taylor was superb but ‘Stocko’s’ personality and presence probably edge it.

The icing on the cake of course would have been a well-wishing word or two for @glasshalffull who we hope is making a good recovery from the Covid bug.

• @drcongo said:

He is so smooth with the ball at his feet. 'The Freeman Glide'.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    It was a dreadful challenge on Freeman but given James Bell was possibly the most incompetent referee I've seen in at least five years, it's no surprise the culprit got away with it scot-free.

Sorry to hear you missed all of last season! We'll tell you about THOSE refs sometime...

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Twizz said:

I loved having that bit of inside knowledge. All came about as a pal or mine saw a Wycombe director with a player who they were going through the motions of signing. They had no idea who the player was but the first couple of words of their description made it quite easy to figure out.

For once I had even better inside knowledge, having been told we'd signed him a few days before.
    Was quite fun revelling in all the will he won't he business and Bayo's curveball of saying his new club was a 3hour drive etc

• @Twizz - Thanks for including that link - It was a very interesting to see the comments from 5 years ago.
    In addition to enjoying Dr Congo and Eric Plant's complete meltdowns over the rumours of the Beast signing (and I must admit, I thought it was a novelty signing), one of the posts went through the squad names, which included Wood, PCH, Weston, Sido, Danny Rowe, Southwell, Thompson, Hayes, Harriman. Many of those were solid performers but, look at our squad now by comparison!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I usually avoid commenting on signings until I've seen them play for us which has served me well to some extent but I had totally forgotten about @Wwfc2015_ . His characteristic comments on Akinfenwe were perhaps less surprising than those of some of our normally far more restrained brethren.

He is still here, under a different moniker. Exactly the same deranged hate for most of the team / manager, but when he gets angry at being called out, he doesn’t claim to be living an executive lifestyle any more.

• In all fairness none of us knew Bayo back there beyond his pantomime performances against us. He rolled into town for Wimbledon with a big reputation and as been said before Murphy absolutely nullified him much to our joy.
    So the Bayo we saw then is the player a lot of teams have seen over the past 5 years, a guy who can't sprint the 100m in sub-10 seconds and who looks largely out of place in an athletic environment. And then he drags 3 defenders with him at a corner and our centre half nods in a late equaliser. And then and then and then and then......

So I forgive people for not wanting him 5 years ago. But if anyone still shares that opinion there is probably something wrong with their judgement.