Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Snippets heard today, Wheeler all recovered from covid and expected back in 2-3 weeks, maybe Oxford game
    Tafa expected back on Tues at Stevenage.
    Kashket isn't injured, just can't make the squad.

Gape around the tunnel area today but no idea on timescales.

Delighted if the Tafa one pans out that way.
    If Kashket doesn't even make the bench on Tuesday, something is definitely afoot.

• I have a question about Sunderland fans. How bad at understanding football do you have to be in order not to appreciate Josh Scowen?

Maybe they've had lessons from whomever at Notts County decided Curtis Thompson wasn't good enough for their non-league bound side

• Yeah, Taf was talking to a few fans and said he'd be back on Tuesday.

• It wasn’t just a case of letting Scowen go it was a real good riddance from the fans. The usual ‘worst player we’ve ever had’ heralded his departure.

Keep sending them our way.

• we were very good today and really exciting time to be a wanderer!

Their number 11 scully was excellent for them

• edited August 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    It wasn’t just a case of letting Scowen go it was a real good riddance from the fans. The usual ‘worst player we’ve ever had’ heralded his departure.

Keep sending them our way.

Had they forgotten Jozy Altidore?

• Crowd was 5,032 today. Any idea how many “most welcome away fans”? The Frank Adams Upper & the Family Stand were only 35/40% full today. Therein lies the problem for the club to address regarding increasing the crowds. That means the F.A. Stand was 3,000 under capacity. By contrast the support from the terrace was excellent today.

• @A_Worboys 400 odd was the number given.

• 2 hours before kick off the tweet was

"We're on course for our highest home attendance for an August league fixture at AP since Leeds visited in 2009",

Then we have an attendance of 5,032.

We had 6,983 v Oxford in 2010/11.

Did they overlook the Oxford game? As well as at least one other in the 6,500 sort of territory. Or was there a mis-calculation, or massive late throng expected?

• At least two "would not want to watch Wycombe every week" comments on the Lincoln site from just a quick peruse. Come on Imp fans, do better!

• edited August 2021

@Shev said:
    At least two "would not want to watch Wycombe every week" comments on the Lincoln site from just a quick peruse. Come on Imp fans, do better!

@Shev said:
    At least two "would not want to watch Wycombe every week" comments on the Lincoln site from just a quick peruse. Come on Imp fans, do better!

Once you have a reputation, it becomes the go-to moan doesn't it.

We fielded 4 wingers, two fairly short guys in centre mid, and probably only had 2 players over 6foot. Our 2 attacking mids are both from a higher tier of quality, and both like to run with it and pass well.

It's not exactly prime Pulis-Ball is it.

• You always get one voice of reason amongst even the most goonish sea of drones.
    This post from "Mikeosullivan" is that, on the Lincoln site.

I'm puzzled at the criticism of Wycombe. They play just like we did under the Cowleys.

Its not pretty to watch - but we weren't saying that when the Cowleys were here, were we?

• I thought we played some pretty good passing positive attacking football today so I will be quite happy to watch that every week.

• edited August 2021

@OakwoodExile said:
    I have a question about Sunderland fans. How bad at understanding football do you have to be in order not to appreciate Josh Scowen?

Fans I can understand as their opinions aren’t based on any technical knowledge or expertise. But why the Sunderland management staff would see the need to release him is beyond me. As much as I love Luke O’Nien, out of the 2 out of contract players I’d have kept Josh.

But oh well, their loss.

• Apologies if missed...but Mccleary's run around the outside to create the space for Obita's cost deserves as much praise as the cross itself. Outstanding.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Apologies if missed...but Mccleary's run around the outside to create the space for Obita's cost deserves as much praise as the cross itself. Outstanding.

GA mentioned that in both the club interview and the 3CR one, definitely a key part of the goal

• I would happily watch us play teams at this level that take goal kicks that go backwards every week.

When/why did that become fashionable?

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Apologies if missed...but Mccleary's run around the outside to create the space for Obita's cost deserves as much praise as the cross itself. Outstanding.

He's far too good for this level and he's going to be huge for us this season. So, so lucky to have him.

• @bookertease said:
    I would happily watch us play teams at this level that take goal kicks that go backwards every week.

When/why did that become fashionable?

I think the idea of that splitting defenders thing is that in tight games when everyone is cancelling eachother out that you show just enough of the ball to attract the opposition attackers on to you and create a bit more space for your attack downfield than you would have had, but it's a dicey game if your passing isn't accurate and you don't know when to do it and when not too. To be trying that shit and then not really paying attention is madness.

• I think it's great that tactical and stylistic elements from the top level filter down to the lower leagues so much these days. It's also a sign of the ambition of coaches - and Appleton could manage at that level one day.

• There’s never been a period where I wouldn’t have wanted to watch Wycombe every week if I could. Even when Peter Taylor was manager.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

He's far too good for this level and he's going to be huge for us this season. So, so lucky to have him.

I'd like to think we are "protected" a little by his age too, hopefully meaning no other club will see him as an investment as such. Not at Championship level anyway.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@thecatwwfc said:

I'd like to think we are "protected" a little by his age too, hopefully meaning no other club will see him as an investment as such. Not at Championship level anyway.

For sure - 35 at the end of the season. But I'd like to think we'd get another season out of him in either division.

• @Chris said:
    There’s never been a period where I wouldn’t have wanted to watch Wycombe every week if I could. Even when Peter Taylor was manager.

I could take or leave Peter Suddaby.....

• One of the comments from a Lincoln fan on their forum that really stood out was re: Ainsworth ever managing at Sincil Bank. To summarise, they claimed they would never want to see him in the dugout due to his brand of football.

My Spurs supporting mate who came along today actually commented on the difference between Gaz and Appleton on the touch line today, with the former being very animated and the latter spending 100 minutes leaning up against the dugout.

My message to that Lincoln fan is, you can only dream of having Mr Ainsworth at the helm of your football club. He is one of a kind and we are blessed to have been on this journey with him for the past decade. He continues to grow as a manager and long may that continue at Adams Park.

• I definitely agree about being lucky to have McLeary. If he, Vokes, Stockdale, Obita and Scowen were lining up for a Championship club today instead of Wycombe, no-one would bat an eyelid. That's not to say the rest of our team are not fantastic (they are) but just to show the experience of that lot.

I just watched the Vokes goal against Belgium in Euro 2016, and still can't quite comprehend that he plays for us! He is looking sharper every week, and if he stays healthy, he should be up there for Player of the Season.

• Regarding not wanting to watch us every week, I know we mock it all the time, but that is partly because no-one here ever says it about other clubs (so as usual, we have the moral high ground over other forums). If I was a Lincoln fan, I would likely want to watch them every week, and same for any other club. It is such an illogical comment to make.

• Always a strange comment from a losing side. 'I would rather we lost than get three points like THAT!'

• This is where we need Vital Len back for the opposition view, always hilarious reading after a win for the Blues