Skip to content

Wycombe v Lincoln preview

edited August 2021 in Football

Back after a slight bump in the road. We go again! https://jjsleftfoot.substack.com/p/the-inswinger-wycombe-v-lincoln

Comments

• Top read again, thanks ?

• Good stuff. Biggest surprise in that read is how they have totally changed their side since the JJ match...

• Great stuff and I feel more optimistic for the result now after reading that. Probably a bad sign.

• Thanks Tom - a good & interesting read

• Thank you Tom, excellent and interesting as always.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Good stuff. Biggest surprise in that read is how they have totally changed their side since the JJ match...

Whereas 9 of our starting 11 (and one of our subs) from that day are still in our squad! Quite impressive

I've also just remembered that JJ scored a free kick against Lincoln in the previous home match against them (a 2-2 draw on the opening day of the League Two promotion season). So he definitely has something to live up to!

• Cheers guys!

I was also surprised about just how big their player turnover has been, but I guess they did have the change of manager and he's in his third transfer window now.

• edited August 2021

@WanderingDays said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    Good stuff. Biggest surprise in that read is how they have totally changed their side since the JJ match...

Whereas 9 of our starting 11 (and one of our subs) from that day are still in our squad! Quite impressive

I've also just remembered that JJ scored a free kick against Lincoln in the previous home match against them (a 2-2 draw on the opening day of the League Two promotion season). So he definitely has something to live up to!

I'll always remember that game for conceding just 31 minutes into the first run-out for the supposedly opponent-distracting 'kaleidoscope' GK kit. Then we went and conceded four in the next home game!

• I see the Thompson for Pendlebury change has gone from possibly to probably to 'almost certainly'! Although I do agree, it is time to see him back in the starting XI.

Not sure Ainsworth will change the formation just yet, I reckon we'll give kaikai another go or start freeman on the right rather than play a back 4 from the start.

• Injury news is even more vague than usual for this one. And that's a potentially unfortunate name for the ref... https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/august/match-preview-for-wycombe-wanderers-vs-lincoln-city-on-21-aug-21/

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Injury news is even more vague than usual for this one. And that's a potentially unfortunate name for the ref... https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/august/match-preview-for-wycombe-wanderers-vs-lincoln-city-on-21-aug-21/

Why do they never mention Kashket I wonder?

• @Vital said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Injury news is even more vague than usual for this one. And that's a potentially unfortunate name for the ref... https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/august/match-preview-for-wycombe-wanderers-vs-lincoln-city-on-21-aug-21/

Why do they never mention Kashket I wonder?

They didn't mention Wheeler in the preview of the Cheltenham game. I've given up trying to read anything into it all, tbh.

• has there ever been a suggestion that Kashket was injured? I assumed he was just not making the squad - strange though that seems.

• edited August 2021

@our_frank said:
    has there ever been a suggestion that Kashket was injured? I assumed he was just not making the squad - strange though that seems.

I'm sure someone on here said he had a knock? I don't mind injury news being kept under wraps, although it doesn't seem consistent.

• Someone on here did mention a knock, though I’ve no idea where he had seen that, as it’s not been mentioned anywhere official that I’ve seen. Strange one though, as Gaz mentioned him in the Trust Q&A and he played pre-season. Something has obviously happened since then, and I’m hoping that something is just an injury.

• Kashket has a chronic hip condition that needs to be managed doesn't he? Surely i haven't made that up?!

• @floyd said:
    Kashket has a chronic hip condition that needs to be managed doesn't he? Surely i haven't made that up?!

Read that as 'chronic chip condition'. I was going to say, it doesn't show!

• Scotty has peroxide blonded the top of his hair. Gaz may be relaxed about coiffure but this is surely a step too far by ‘the little genius’! Possibly been sent home till it grows out?

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Scotty has peroxide blonded the top of his hair. Gaz may be relaxed about coiffure but this is surely a step too far by ‘the little genius’! Possibly been sent home till it grows out?

I suppose this is the equivalent of go faster stripes on racing cars!

• Good to see Taff taking instructions in training in the back of the JJ video and being involved

• Good read that @ReturnToSenda although I wouldn't be as certain as you seem about some of the individual selections.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Good read that @ReturnToSenda although I wouldn't be as certain as you seem about some of the individual selections.

Cheers! I'd say I'm only really certain about Thompson, but I won't be surprised if we do start with a back four (and won't be that concerned if we stick with the same back three and wing-backs).

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Good read that @ReturnToSenda although I wouldn't be as certain as you seem about some of the individual selections.

Cheers! I'd say I'm only really certain about Thompson, but I won't be surprised if we do start with a back four (and won't be that concerned if we stick with the same back three and wing-backs).

Curtis seems very likely, I think you and some others spotted Pendlebury not really controling his area the other night although he was getting in some good tackles, the dissent was Probably due to frustration so I'm sure the coaches will have had a word but he'll also get to realise that Curtis is a bit of a Rolls Royce when properly fit and him and Scowen offer a lot in a 2 or with Mehmeti/McCleary /Horgan or some combination of the three getting license to roam.

• Thompson and Scowen in the middle...anyone getting through unscathed will be a lucky man! :smiley:

• @Wendoverman said:
    Thompson and Scowen in the middle...anyone getting through unscathed will be a lucky man! :smiley:

The Terminators!

• Thanks Tom great piece as per...

• I'm sure Taf was involved in the main group in Our House, so wonder if he will be back on the bench and maybe get 10 mins to help see the game out if we are winning?

• Thanks, Tom.

• Great stuff @ReturnToSenda - the official website might as well link to you at this point! We are spoiled for content as Wycombe fans, as always.