Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• If there’s any ex-wycombe player we could resign for me the dream one would be Alfie Mawson, alas I highly doubt we’ll ever see him in the quarters again

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Maybe a more realistic solution would be to get Pierre back. ?

Would have the added benefit of keeping some of our more goonish fans in line too.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Not a chance. Prime age, Championship quality defender. Also, isn't he even more injury prone than Tafazolli?

Sam Voakes. That’s all I’m gonna say

• Pierre is out of contract at the end of the season ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Pierre is out of contract at the end of the season ?

Tafazoli and Stewart ahead of him comfortably. Signing a player as 3rd choice is always a difficult sell. Assuming Tafazoli is ok of course

• edited August 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Pierre is out of contract at the end of the season ?

Tafazoli and Stewart ahead of him comfortably. Signing a player as 3rd choice is always a difficult sell. Assuming Tafazoli is ok of course

Yeah, but on a free as back-up we could do a lot worse - even in the Championship. We wouldn't get him now.

• @eric_plant said:
    Don't forget that the tweet in question was addressed to the player in question.

I'm amazed how many people don't have an issue with it, and again I'd suggest that if a rival owner directed such a tweet at one of our new signings then the uproar on here would rival the frothing at the mouth that occurs when a borderline offside goes against us.

I would also suggest that Gareth Ainsworth, who always conducts himself impeccably, would be wholly unimpressed with it.

It's embarrassing that's for sure and I hope he learns his lesson. As you'll notice on here, people seem to think any opinion other than "aren't the Couhigs incredible" is blasphemy. I think they've done a pretty good job since coming in, however, Ainsworth and Dobbo are the heroes and anything that undermines their classy and professional approach is unfortunate. People's obsession with public social media accounts has once again be shown to be unwise. Transfer business for so many reasons should be done behind closed doors and given the privacy it deserves given the impact it has on people's reputations/lives.

On a more positive theme I'd love to see three centre backs consisting of Stewart, Jacobson and Pierre. I genuinely think it would be an outstanding League 1 combination.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:

@eric_plant said:
    Don't forget that the tweet in question was addressed to the player in question.

I'm amazed how many people don't have an issue with it, and again I'd suggest that if a rival owner directed such a tweet at one of our new signings then the uproar on here would rival the frothing at the mouth that occurs when a borderline offside goes against us.

I would also suggest that Gareth Ainsworth, who always conducts himself impeccably, would be wholly unimpressed with it.

It's embarrassing that's for sure and I hope he learns his lesson. As you'll notice on here, people seem to think any opinion other than "aren't the Couhigs incredible" is blasphemy. I think they've done a pretty good job since coming in, however, Ainsworth and Dobbo are the heroes and anything that undermines their classy and professional approach is unfortunate. People's obsession with public social media accounts has once again be shown to be unwise. Transfer business for so many reasons should be done behind closed doors and given the privacy it deserves given the impact it has on people's reputations/lives.

On a more positive theme I'd love to see three centre backs consisting of Stewart, Jacobson and Pierre. I genuinely think it would be an outstanding League 1 combination.

Well said

• Well said @HolmerBlue. Maybe Rob Couhig will offer an apology. I believe he is a genuine person and an apology is not a sign of weakness so best foot forward Rob!

• I personally think to say the Couhigs have done 'a pretty good job' is massively playing down their achievements. Ainsworth and Dobbo most definitely deserve a huge amount of credit but there is no way we would have had a season in the championship, the best squad we have ever had (in my opinion), the development squad etc if the Couhigs hadn't been involved. What is everyone expecting!? It was looking more likely we would have been relegated the season they came along rather than promoted. If the main complaints are about burgers on matchdays then they really can't have done too bad! They might not be perfect but how anyone can think they haven't been incredible for us really does baffle me.

I'm sure this tweet was a genuine mistake where he meant to message someone back directly, who knows, but I feel he deserves some slack.

• I think the one thing we can probably all agree on is that Rob Couhig's opinion of individual players' footballing prowess is likely to be less sophisticated than the average Wycombe fan's and therefore probably worth disregarding. It's Gareth Ainsworth, Richard Dobson and Andrew Howard's opinions that matter. Now if Rob was tweeting about the relative quality of vegan burgers, then I think we'd have to pay attention...

• Well said BushGoose. The latest edition of Our House is proof (if anyone needed it) of the positive changes on and off the field that have taken place under the Couhigs. Ambitious, responsible owners are hard to find and I’m glad we’ve got them.

• I don't think anyone is disputing it was a mistake. But sometimes when you make a mistake you should apologise.

But it seems like I'm in the minority on this.

Roll on tomorrow, can't wait. I'm expecting a big crowd and a brilliant atmosphere. If we can get off to a good start again like we did against Accy it could be an electric afternoon

• edited August 2021

A few people have suggested it was a dig in response to being messed around over Lavelle - which, let's face it, is probably absolute nonsense.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    A few people have suggested it was a dig in response to being messed around over Lavelle - which, let's face it, is probably absolute nonsense.

And being cynical, I am sure that Morecambe would be prepared to overlook any perceived criticism if we met their asking price.

• edited August 2021

Who's to say Rob did not apologise directly to those involved? Just cos some people circulated a screenshot does not mean he has to make a public apology

• @eric_plant I am with you, I would want to be on record as regretting my instincts there, but where others see contrition a lawyer/politician/the police sees legal jeopardy.

• you might think a lawyer would see legal jeopardy in the original Twit.

• I can't see how tweeting an unnecessary but honest opinion of a player is any worse than screenshotting it , sharing about and trying to catch him out like a schoolchild.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Not a chance. Prime age, Championship quality defender. Also, isn't he even more injury prone than Tafazolli?

Sam Voakes. That’s all I’m gonna say

Foakes, Stokes, Woakes, Vokes... let’s call the whole thing off.

That ‘gonna’/‘gerna’ thing’ is remarkable. Hardly anyone says ‘going to’ these days. Journalists, news presenters, politicians etc all use it. It’s not a natural evolution of language phenomenon. It’s linguistically totally illogical and is probably less common in written English (other than in dialogue) but it seems to be here to stay.

• Unless it’s a serious misdemeanour that breaches legal boundaries I’m not a huge fan of this 1 strike and you are out culture we live in now. Just saying.

• Malachi Linton has gone to Kings Lynn on a season long loan.

• @floyd said:
    Malachi Linton has gone to Kings Lynn on a season long loan.

Has Rob Couhig tweeted his thoughts yet?

• @Brownie said:

@floyd said:
    Malachi Linton has gone to Kings Lynn on a season long loan.

Has Rob Couhig tweeted his thoughts yet?

He just put on MySpace that he thought he was shit and then deleted it

• It is quite funny and absolutely classic of football fans on forums, that after 7 points from 9, and with 2 great showings in there, we're blathering on about a mistaken tweet

• @prufrock_91 said:
    It is quite funny and absolutely classic of football fans on forums, that after 7 points from 9, and with 2 great showings in there, we're blathering on about a mistaken tweet

That only the truly obsessive would have seen anyway.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    It is quite funny and absolutely classic of football fans on forums, that after 7 points from 9, and with 2 great showings in there, we're blathering on about a mistaken tweet

Well, because of that except for a dig at that Samuels who has hardly played there is no-one the usual suspects can possibly scapegoat, thank them for their service and demand that they never put on the shirt again as yet.

• Don’t worry @Wendoverman we’re a creative bunch on here. We’ll soon find perfectly rational reasons to moan about our players…

“I mean, Mehmeti beat half their team to make space for himself in the box and then had the audacity to actually shoot! He’s got to go!!”

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Unless it’s a serious misdemeanour that breaches legal boundaries I’m not a huge fan of this 1 strike and you are out culture we live in now. Just saying.

Agree with you. He/she must resign/be sacked seems to be the first reaction whenever anyone gets something wrong nowadays.

• Sometimes though it’s a clue that they shouldn’t be in the job they are doing though…