Skip to content

Crisp news

Comments

• I will also shout out the Co Op sea salt and Chardonnay vinegar.

• I second Tayto's.... fantastico

• Got to agree that Brannigans Beef and Mustard were a very fine crisp.

I have a soft spot for Walkers Prawn Cocktail crisps as I can remember when they were first introduced (1981 ish) and were an excellent accompaniment to a pint of Adnams.

Certain beers go better with certain crisps and it’s important to get the balance right. It should be noted of course that no flavour of Pringles goes with any brand of beer.

• Smith's Football crazy crisps, they were these bacon balls.
    Very popular when I was a kid, as they were so cheap. 5p if I remember correctly.

• @bookertease Pringles aren't crisps anyway! There was actually a High Court ruling on that.

• I'd almost forgotten Brannigans, a king among crisps. For anyone who spent any time in the North East in the 80s, Tudor were pretty special.

• @bookertease said:
    Got to agree that Brannigans Beef and Mustard were a very fine crisp.

I have a soft spot for Walkers Prawn Cocktail crisps as I can remember when they were first introduced (1981 ish) and were an excellent accompaniment to a pint of Adnams.

Certain beers go better with certain crisps and it’s important to get the balance right. It should be noted of course that no flavour of Pringles goes with any brand of beer.

I’d forgotten all about Brannigans Beef and Mustard an excellent crisp indeed. Are they still available?

• @Alexo said:
    Brannigans for me! Roast beef and horseradish. Really clears the old sinuses ?

Roast beef and mustard even!!! The previous post about ham and mustard made me think that the roast beef must have been with horseradish.... But they were clearly twisting reality and throwing me off!!

• @bookertease said:
    You are excused @Shev given you are American, and they don’t really do crisps out there (admittedly Lays Paprika Chips are very nice) but you are so wrong

Err....I don't believe that @Shev is 'fully' American! Passport excused etc.

• Maybe they were one of the last.... Sad times

• edited August 2021

Actually just went online to hunt any last packs.... Mostly sold out.... Found a few at £10+ per bag!!!!!! Which are most likely out of date now anyway..... I feel a petition to bring them back is on the cards!!!! What an outrage!!!!

• Not sure your lot's obsession with crisps is very healthy.

• @ValleyWanderer said:

@bookertease said:
    You are excused @Shev given you are American, and they don’t really do crisps out there (admittedly Lays Paprika Chips are very nice) but you are so wrong

Err....I don't believe that @Shev is 'fully' American! Passport excused etc.

I met you both at the same time - must have accidentally put on a southern drawl on for @bookertease, ha ha. To clear up any confusion, dual citizen with American mum, born in the very English St. Albans and raised in Herts. To make it as clear as mud, my British side is all Irish heritage and my American mum's ancestry is English.

As an expat (kind of), flavours really do bring back nostalgic memories. Monster Munch and Hula Hoops for being a kid, Brannigans for being in the pub, and Walkers as the kind of reliable drum beat behind it all. I always have to try a lot of the snack food when over, as it brings it all back. My (American) wife had a UK "care package" shipped for my last birthday. Branson Pickle, Lilt, Wispa, marmalade and all manner of other lovely fare which can be hard to find here.

• Apologies @Shev I did know you were born here but for some reason had it in my head that you moved over there years ago.

But thinking back, yes you didn’t have much of an American accent

• didn't the gasroom have this whole crisps argument about 6 months ago?

• Yeah, it's probably been too long

• I remember loving Disco's Salt and Vinegar when I was younger. Especially the potent dust that would collect in the corners at the end.

Stumbled across some the other day, tried them, and hated them. Very artificial taste in hindsight, or perhaps they changed the recipe.

• @bookertease said:
    Apologies @Shev I did know you were born here but for some reason had it in my head that you moved over there years ago.

But thinking back, yes you didn’t have much of an American accent

Well that is actually true - I've been over this side of the pond 21 years now!

• I quite like Tyrrells, particularly the cheddar and chives flavour.

Jug Ears apparently earns £1m a year from Walkers, which seems totally obscene to me just for a couple of adverts a year.

• Frazzles

• I stumbled across “Torres Iberian Ham” crisps last week in a pub in Ashbourne. Very good they were to, having now looked them up I understand why that was an expensive round!

• Pickled onion space raiders were wonderful for those on a budget.
    Even up to a couple of years ago, you could purchase 85 packets of Raiders to what a soggy burger now costs at Adams Park.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Ladies and gentlemen, the god of all crisps....

https://www.realcrisps.com/range/roast-ox/

Seconded

• edited August 2021

So.... Plenty of talk about niche market crisps, and spin offs of regular crisps like monster munch, hoola hoops etc etc.... But it looks like for the standard crisp crisp, the general consensus is that ready salted Walkers are the clear favourite.... I'm feeling controversial tonight, and I know I'm going to rattle a few cages....but.... I have to speak the truth....
    I don't agree...
    I know people think they're the same thing because of the logo, with a name change.....
    But they are not the same taste wise....
    Anyone who has been on holiday anywhere further south than the Isle of white knows that
    ..... Ready salted LAYS are the best crisp crisp known to man. It saddens me to say.... But it is true ?

• The best crisps available locally are Fiddlers Lancashire crisps which are sold by the Fruit Shop at Booker. There are a variety of flavours including Black Pudding.
    Read this:- https://www.fiddlerslancashirecrisps.co.uk/

• Twists. Now available in generic supermarket versions but not the originals.

• Around 2008/2009 you could buy sweet pop corn. I’d like to see that make a comeback