Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• edited August 2021

@OxfordBlue said:

If he can't use twitter properly in a professional capacity, he should probably get off it (at least under his own name).

I suggest he renames his account as Alan Swann.
    I'm just pleased that those of us not on social media also got to be shocked and appalled by it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Also harsh to assume that he's technologically inept. It's easy to make a mistake like that - but yeah, his position kind of necessitates a greater degree of care. Plus it will have been seen instantly in its live form, so a few screenshots are neither here nor there.

Seen instantly by obsessives who live on twitter maybe

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I think he's probably just accidentally tweeted what was meant to be a direct message, but he's had a mare.

I find it incredible how many pensioners are using social media and how little leeway youngsters give them when they make an inevitable slip up. He’s deleted it hasn’t he? Would be a shame if the more technically astute screenshotted it to show others.

I'm sure Righty would be just as understanding of an opposition chairman who tweeted the same about one of our new signings

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Also harsh to assume that he's technologically inept. It's easy to make a mistake like that - but yeah, his position kind of necessitates a greater degree of care. Plus it will have been seen instantly in its live form, so a few screenshots are neither here nor there.

Seen instantly by obsessives who live on twitter maybe

Which is probably about 50% of the fan base, tbf.

• Much like the scenario where if you promise the best matchday experience in the world and then serve terrible burgers, if you persistently talk about how our club does things the right way but then the chairman tweets a disparaging remark about an opposition player, you've got very little leeway.

Wycombe fans would be furious if the boot were on the other foot and it's completely disingenuous for anyone to claim otherwise.

I think he should publicly apologise.

• I think it's a complete non-event.

• It's a nothing burger, will only be Wycombe fans that even recognise Pete on Twitter

• @Username said:
    It's a nothing burger, will only be Wycombe fans that even recognise Pete on Twitter

It's Rob

• @drcongo said:
    I think it's a complete non-event.

Would be still be a non event if another chairman, questioned our signing of Kaikai, saying he was no good?

• @davecz said:

@drcongo said:

Would be still be a non event if another chairman, questioned our signing of Kaikai, saying he was no good?

Yes. I literally wouldn't give a toss.

• edited August 2021

@davecz said:

@drcongo said:

Why would I care I'm not a four year old child that requires 100% validation for everything.

I'm sure a few of our more mentally challenged Twitter fans would be upset, but that doesn't make it a genuine problem

• @eric_plant said:
    Much like the scenario where if you promise the best matchday experience in the world and then serve terrible burgers, if you persistently talk about how our club does things the right way but then the chairman tweets a disparaging remark about an opposition player, you've got very little leeway.

Wycombe fans would be furious if the boot were on the other foot and it's completely disingenuous for anyone to claim otherwise.

I think he should publicly apologise.

This. I don't think it would be such a problem if he wasn't a 'visible' chairman, but he's projected himself as the face of the club in many ways.

• @drcongo said:

@davecz said:

@drcongo said:

Agreed.
    Spending hours patrolling twitter looking for something to be offended by is one of the more baffling of 21st century obsessions.

• I don't think anyone's offended. More embarrassed than anything.

• No way he should apologise, I'm sure there's good reason why he went on the warpath , remember we don't necesaarily know all that's gone on behind closed doors.

• A slightly embarrassing slip up, but nothing to lose sleep over. We have all done something similar in the past... Sent a text to the wrong person slagging off the person you accidentally sent it too off or something.... Well I have at least ?

• @drcongo said:

@davecz said:

@drcongo said:

It's an embarrassing clanger to be sure...but not worthy of more than a few seconds attention.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    No way he should apologise, I'm sure there's good reason why he went on the warpath , remember we don't necesaarily know all that's gone on behind closed doors.

Firstly you have no idea if that's true, and even if it is why drag that player into it?

It's lacking in class I'm afraid

• Got to agree with @eric_plant there. Even if the player has been troublesome behind closed doors...that's where it should stay. It's a tad Trumpish.

• There are chairmen out there that have no problem commenting on everything regarding other clubs. It’s not elegant. It’s not worthy. It’s a bit cringeworthy. Hopefully this was a —— up not a new found voice.
    Either way I’m guessing Andrew Howard is not getting calls returned now. A painful lesson but nothing more

• Don't forget that the tweet in question was addressed to the player in question.

I'm amazed how many people don't have an issue with it, and again I'd suggest that if a rival owner directed such a tweet at one of our new signings then the uproar on here would rival the frothing at the mouth that occurs when a borderline offside goes against us.

I would also suggest that Gareth Ainsworth, who always conducts himself impeccably, would be wholly unimpressed with it.

• What did he actually say??

• I'm amazed how many people don't have an issue with it, and again I'd suggest that if a rival owner directed such a tweet at one of our new signings then the uproar on here would rival the frothing at the mouth that occurs when a borderline offside goes against us.

I think I'm not at all bothered about it because it was quite obviously accidental. If our chairman was deliberately tweeting out things like that I'd find it much more bothersome.

• Anyway. Your mind wanders sometimes and I thought of players we have brought in late in the transfer window. Alfie Mawson sprung to mind. Currently in the wilderness with Fulham. Barely played since his big money move. The rumour mill has him on his way out. Hmmmm

• Not a chance. Prime age, Championship quality defender. Also, isn't he even more injury prone than Tafazolli?

• You said not a chance when someone posted that we might get an equaliser at Wigan. Always useful to leave yourself with a get out clause in case of unexpected events.

• @glasshalffull said:
    You said not a chance when someone posted that we might get an equaliser at Wigan. Always useful to leave yourself with a get out clause in case of unexpected events.

I'm taking full credit if it happens - but it won't ;)

• Three years ago he cost somewhere between £15-20 million. That would be some signing.

• Just having Alfie on loan for the season or even until Jan would be brilliant. However, he is probably on £20k-£30k per week.

• Maybe a more realistic solution would be to get Pierre back. ?