Skip to content

Other teams appreciation thread

Whilst I am sure this type of thread won't catch on, I have to say I am loving West Brom.

As we've seen under Ainsworth, there's many different ways to win a match, but seeing the Baggies get it forward, mix it up and put pressure on is joyous.

Comments

• On the contrary, @prufrock_91 - our good opinion matters. Brentford won the You Choose Cup on here in 2020, and look where they are now!

• Only other team I'm hoping do well this season is Brentford... hope they smash up the Premier league

• I want Middlesbrough to do well, not just for Uche but the main man too:

• I would add Sutton, as newcomers who sound like they have the unity thing going, plus Harrogate (for Pattison) in L2, and St. Albans in the the National League South.

Oh, and anyone who plays Derby or Peterborough.

• Derby won tonight ?

• Come on Barrow AFC. Voted out of the Football League in 1972 (replaced by Hereford Utd) and winning their place back after 49 years of Non-league.

• Hadn't noticed until the other day that Pattison had scored an apparently very good goal for Harrogate on debut. Hope he does well there, seemed quite unfortunate for us, but the potential to be a very decent player.

Odd that they've only played the 1 game so far mind you, not sure why that is?

• I grew up supporting Liverpool when they were in the old Second Division and it was far more fashionable to become an Everton fan. I also have a soft spot for Maidenhead United as I live in the area and watch their games when Wycombe aren’t playing.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I want Middlesbrough to do well, not just for Uche but the main man too:

Why, he's a horrible old whinger. This panto stuff for TV is fairly unpleasant

• Only a young Wycombe fan could possibly have any affection for Colin. He's been acting the giddy goat against us for the best part of 40 years

• @eric_plant said:
    Only a young Wycombe fan could possibly have any affection for Colin. He's been acting the giddy goat against us for the best part of 40 years

Could be the best nickname in football that and he hates it.

• edited August 2021

Colin can be a prick, but mostly it's just funny, and the game will be a poorer place without him - if he ever actually retires...

• I love watching Leeds under Bielsa, to my shame. Always had a soft spot for Sheffield Wednesday, and I love away days at Bradford and Doncaster, both of which seem to make away fans incredibly welcome.

• @drcongo said:
    I love watching Leeds under Bielsa, to my shame.

Nothing remotely shameful about watching the master at work

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Colin can be a prick, but mostly it's just funny, and the game will be a poorer place without him - if he ever actually retires...

Presumably you didn't see his conduct in that game they had called off, having had loads sent off and "injured".

• @Malone The Battle of Bramall Lane? That's iconic!

• I've a bit of a fondness for Forest Green after an enjoyable visit there a few years back. I recognise it's not necessarily an entirely plucky underdog story but I liked the people I met there. In a similar vein, last week left me with considerable goodwill towards Cheltenham.

• I'll generally have some kind of fondness for any club who are unpretentious and whose fans (and owners) don't have a sense of entitlement as to where they should be in the league. So Rochdale, Crewe, Accrington, Scunthorpe, Hartlepool, Orient and a fair few others. Higher up, Fulham fans seem to retain that lack of entitlement. Also like Forest Green for the eco ideals and the friendliness of the everyone there when we've visited. And Torquay - and not only for their attitude towards us on that day in 2014. Just a nice club with nice fans.

• I love to watch Chris Hughton's Nottingham Forest powering up the table displaying that distinct brand of adventurous, exciting football played the way it should be. Well, I would like to watch that...

• Every Cheltenham fan I met was lovely too on the weekend.

Have soft spots for Aldershot due to family connections, and Haringey Boro.

• I appreciate all those clubs that try to do right by their fans and are firmly embedded in their communities good examples would be FGR, Rochdale, Doncaster, Dulwich Hamlet & Accrington.

I also have always kept an eye out for the results of Chelmsford City & Dover Athletic as they are/were my local clubs for a large part of my life

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    I appreciate all those clubs that try to do right by their fans and are firmly embedded in their communities good examples would be FGR, Rochdale, Doncaster, Dulwich Hamlet & Accrington.

I also have always kept an eye out for the results of Chelmsford City & Dover Athletic as they are/were my local clubs for a large part of my life

I think you will be in a small minority of Wanderers fans over the age of 45, who have a soft spot for Chelmsford City !!

• Dunno if we're allowed foreign teams, though my second team Union Berlin continue to go from strength to strength in the Bundesliga since I started following them as my local team 15 years ago when they had just survived almost going out of business and were in the regional leagues.
    Their steady progression from a fairly well-supported but a typically shambolically run former East German club in a delightful but dilapidated ground to one of the most effective teams in the Bundesliga is a testament to their slow but steady consolidation of small gains made over a long period of time. All done with no sugar daddy bankrolling the club, while maintaining their trademark 'by the fans for the fans' ethos. I'd like to think our successes in recent times are in a similar vein, and that we can continue to build.

• @ReadingMarginalista Huge result for them tonight in e bonkers and brilliant Europa Conference League.

• I've also got a fond appreciation for Hibs for no other reason than I spent a nice break in Leith once and love The Proclaimers. Even went to see them slug out a 1-1 draw when I was up there for the fringe.

• @ReadingMarginalista I think I saw a Football Focus item on Union Berlin, incredible story. I did make me look out for their scores.

• I think I may adopt Hanwell Town as a second team, especially if they’re at home when we get free Saturdays because of international breaks. Nice little ground, seemed like really friendly people when we had the Development Squad game there. And only about 3 miles away.

• edited August 2021

I like this from Thomas Frank on Brentford (from a FourFourTwo feature): "We also have a 'no dickheads' culture - we only want good people who want to learn'.

Anyone know if that's worked for any other clubs?

• Sounds like Rochdale could be getting shafted - have a look at @DaleNotForSale on Twitter.