Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• With all due respect to Hudlin I'm gonna call BS on that one. Unless they are finally going to respect FFP rules by signing players that are within their pay structure.

Re the posts above regarding Bayo - see comments from past 4 years. And probably the 10 years before that.

• I can't see them signing him, but they definitely watched him.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    With all due respect to Hudlin I'm gonna call BS on that one. Unless they are finally going to respect FFP rules by signing players that are within their pay structure.

Re the posts above regarding Bayo - see comments from past 4 years. And probably the 10 years before that.

They could be considering him as a bench warmer in the event that they have to resort to plan Z.

• Maybe he's the inspired solution to their left-back problem.

• I suspect some of these 'agents' have a mate who runs a Twitter account. I can envisage the call now that starts with a long puff on a cigar and then has the agent telling the player that he told him he would deliver his dream move.

• Footy Accumulators is an awful, clickbaity account, but the story is from an Athletic journo. It's legit, but it does seem mad.

• Bayo is the perfect second option to Vokes. To have someone of his caliber to either come on as a sub or start the odd game is a brilliant option at this level. He may be pushing 40, but he is still a lower league destroyer, whether that is scoring or his clever passing.

• I would love to see Bayo as a destroyer in the more traditional sense. That would be fun.

• @Shev said:
    Bayo is the perfect second option to Vokes. To have someone of his caliber to either come on as a sub or start the odd game is a brilliant option at this level. He may be pushing 40, but he is still a lower league destroyer, whether that is scoring or his clever passing.

I don't think anyone is doubting Bayo's ability on the ball, as a target man, the big problem is when the opposition have the ball - it's like we have 10 men Vs good passing teams.

For the odd game fine, and bayo is an ideal sub, likely ahead of any new joiner, but if Vokes was to miss any substantial time I'd worry as we would have to choose between Bayo (decent goal threat but zero pressing), and Samuel - the exact opposite, which is a significant step down.

Hopefully we can pick up an exciting youngster with something to prove on loan

• Not sure they’d prove much being third choice.

• Gareth on any more potential transfers:

"We're still a couple short of numbers... you've got to patient as a manager. I spoke to Rob, we're not going to panic, we're not going to be sucked in to paying ridiculous money for players who aren't worth that money, we're going to do it right. I always say some of my best deals have always been in the last week of that window, so looking forward to that last week. Be patient, don't worry - leave that to me."

• When does the window close, please?

• @micra 31st August

• I take it you don’t watch Sky Sports News then @micra.

We got Now TV for a month to watch the cricket and flicking around their channels during one break, Sky Sports News had a countdown clock for the end of the window counting down in hundredths of seconds.

• 4 games between now and the end of the window. 2 very important league games, 1 fairly important cup game in terms of cash and the Papa Smurf cup. So it's a risk if we leave the business til the very end of the window. If McCarthy and Tafazoli are close then it's less of risk of course.
    Interesting couple of weeks. Let's hope hot beefy drink is not the last signing of the window

• Any chance of us losing anyone in the next two weeks?

Our squad does seem a bit thin with a few absences but shouldn't all teams be in the same boat with the league restrictions? Indeed, as a relegated team don't we have a higher squad size cap than others?

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    4 games between now and the end of the window. 2 very important league games, 1 fairly important cup game in terms of cash and the Papa Smurf cup. So it's a risk if we leave the business til the very end of the window. If McCarthy and Tafazoli are close then it's less of risk of course.
    Interesting couple of weeks. Let's hope hot beefy drink is not the last signing of the window

However, the players we do get in, we'll have for about 40 odd games. So rushing just to get them in a couple of games quickly wouldn't be wise.

If the two you mention will be back within those 3 more important games then I think we'll be fine. Pending no further injuries.

• @Right_in_the_Middle I'd say yes, but admittedly I know nothing.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Any chance of us losing anyone in the next two weeks?

Our squad does seem a bit thin with a few absences but shouldn't all teams be in the same boat with the league restrictions? Indeed, as a relegated team don't we have a higher squad size cap than others?

Although most people probably wouldn't agree with me here, I do wonder if Samuel will be shipped out on loan before the window closes. Been on the bench for all 3 games in the league, but has played 0 minutes so far in League One. Obviously he played the full 90 against Exeter, but some people on the match thread thought he just wasnt quite up for it. Also, bearing in mind, Gape, Tafazolli, Wheeler, Kashket and McCarthy are all absent at the moment. I cant see Samuel making the bench when some of them are back hence why I think Samuel could go out on loan.

• @thedieharder said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Any chance of us losing anyone in the next two weeks?

Although most people probably wouldn't agree with me here, I do wonder if Samuel will be shipped out on loan before the window closes. Been on the bench for all 3 games in the league, but has played 0 minutes so far in League One. Obviously he played the full 90 against Exeter, but some people on the match thread thought he just wasnt quite up for it. Also, bearing in mind, Gape, Tafazolli, Wheeler, Kashket and McCarthy are all absent at the moment. I cant see Samuel making the bench when some of them are back hence why I think Samuel could go out on loan.

I think it's more likely that Kashket would be the one lined up for a loan move considering his lack of game time or mention alongside other injuries.

• I think Kashket must be injuredcand he is a much better player than Samuel's. Samuel's could do with a loan spell

• As I have said before I think you are all being unfair to Samuel he is not and will never be a target man, yet many of you compare him to Vokes & Bayo.
    He is what is often described as a pressing forward, he runs tirelessly down the channels, pulls defenders out of place, presses them to make mistakes and tries to draw fouls in dangerous areas; unfortunately we tend not to play to his strengths by passing into the channels, or having a small forward playing for the knock downs from the target man. Our style is more about whipping crosses in or dropping it centrally to whoever plays the No10 role.
    Having said that I think SK plays that role better than AS so there will come a point where the latter will either look for a move or the club will loan him out to keep him match sharp.

• @Lloyd2084 - I’ve been a Sky subscriber since I retired in ‘95 and watch quite a bit of football and cricket but very rarely watch the Sports News channel.

Not sure my eyes could cope with hundredths of a second flashing up.

• @erroll_flynn I’m not sure it is fair to say that Samuel (not sure where Samuel’s came from!) is not a target man when, for long periods in our previous League 1 and 2 seasons, he faced and received balls out of defence with his back to goal, ‘caught it’ in his lap and either turned taller defenders and turned with the ball or fell to the ground and, more often than not, won free kicks. At that time, I think it’s fair to say that he was playing as a target man. I don’t think they necessarily need to be tall.

• No coincidence that Samuel's best performance in a Wycombe shirt was in the first leg of the play-off semi - when we pressed like a team possessed.

• Ah, but was he catching the ball in his lap with his back to goal?!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 said:

Alex Samuel is a great back option to Vokes and Bayo. Firstly in the grand scheme of things he probably relatively happy doing it. It's a long season and with injuries etc he will probably play 20/25 games. Also his scoring prowess isn't a problem as back up option as goals will come from other areas.

Scotty Kashket will also come into the reckoning as the season progresses. 10/15 games in players will be carrying knocks and the last things 75% per cent defenders want is Scott Kashket running at them and getting into goal scoring areas with his pace and guile.

This stage of the season is about points on the board and grinding down the opposition in true Ainsworth style. Everyone in the squad will play a part as Pendlebury as proved already.

Sorry but have to disagree. Just don’t see Samuel as an effective back up , if as the management keep stating we want to be competing at the business end of the league. Honest , hard working player but unfortunately not a threat . Perhaps a forward ( probably loanee) is one of the two players GA is looking to bring in before the end of the transfer window.

• Top priority for me is someone who can cover the wingback position on either side.

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    As I have said before I think you are all being unfair to Samuel he is not and will never be a target man, yet many of you compare him to Vokes & Bayo.
    He is what is often described as a pressing forward, he runs tirelessly down the channels, pulls defenders out of place, presses them to make mistakes and tries to draw fouls in dangerous areas; unfortunately we tend not to play to his strengths by passing into the channels, or having a small forward playing for the knock downs from the target man. Our style is more about whipping crosses in or dropping it centrally to whoever plays the No10 role.
    Having said that I think SK plays that role better than AS so there will come a point where the latter will either look for a move or the club will loan him out to keep him match sharp.

This is the clearest explanation of Samuel and why he's valuable that I've seen, yet people still go, 'Nope, he doesn't do goals' and want none of it. What's so difficult to understand?