Skip to content

Anthony Stewart

Right, when is this lads testimonial?

How do we work it out what with the youth team and as someone mentioned on Twitter, his ‘Crewe Experiment’? Can’t be far off, surely?

Comments

• Is a testimonial meant to be after ten years? In which case I make it about February.

• edited August 2021

I think Saturday will be his 250th appearance actually

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Is a testimonial meant to be after ten years? In which case I make it about February.

So a testimonial game in the close season then against a Wycombe All Stars Team from Anthony’s early years at AP.

Matt Ingram
    Charles Dunne
    Kortney Hause
    Aaron Pierre
    Kadeem Harris
    Jordan Ibe
    Max Kretzschmar
    Josh Scowen
    Matt Phillips
    Matt Bloomfield
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Matt McClure

• Surely it's 10 years of service? Therefore with his season at Crewe he surely needs to do an extra year? Otherwise Josh Scowen has one overdue.

• He was only at Crewe from Nov through to May. Seven months. He signed pro forms from July 1st 2011, so add on 10 years and 7 months and you get Feb 22.

• Got to be 10 years of continuous service, surely?

• 10 years continuous service, so he's got a while to go yet

• @wwfcblue said:
    He was only at Crewe from Nov through to May. Seven months. He signed pro forms from July 1st 2011, so add on 10 years and 7 months and you get Feb 22.

He spent the first half of that season in contract stand off, and ended the 2014/15 season with just 10 appearances.

Bet he looks back on that season with regrets!

Providing he plays on a good few years for us yet, i think it'd take a fairly harsh fan to deny him a testimonial all in.

• That ‘all stars’ team surely must be led by super skipper Stuart Lewis!!!!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I would have said 400. He seems to have been here forever.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I would have said 400. He seems to have been here forever.

He did at least a double shift in the play-off final.

• We’ve had some massive centre halves in the last decade that have played consistently at Premier League or championship consistently. Which makes it a wonder why there has not been a queue for his services.

• Injury record can't have helped

• Turns out he's already made his 250th appearance - in the final game of last season.

• I don't think any of us would begrudge Anthony a testimonial in 2022. He's been superb for us when fit.

Bloomers is due his second testimonial in 2023! What a guy.

Not forgetting of course that Gareth was due one last year for 10 years sterling service. Dobbo has been with us 14 years and assistant manager for 10 years and 7 weeks.

JJ in 2024.

We are very lucky to have such stability.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    We’ve had some massive centre halves in the last decade that have played consistently at Premier League or championship consistently. Which makes it a wonder why there has not been a queue for his services.

Is there any other position we've had such riches, at least in the FL era?

Crossley,
    Creaser
    Evans,
    McCarthy
    Johnson (Roger)
    Mike Williamson
    Johnson (Leon)
    Bates
    Pierre
    Mawson
    Stewart.

And that's just off the top of my head; sure I've missed a couple.

• Gary Doherty was an excellent centre back for us, before injury took its toll.

• Matt Lawrence
    Darius Charles
    Will Antwi
    Mark Rogers

• edited August 2021

I'm sorry, I love Anthony Stewart but you don't just dish out testimonials for being a good player.

They are specifically for players who stay ten years at a club. Otherwise they just become meaningless

This is a nonsense idea

• Steven Taylor of course if loanees are allowed.
    Any takers for Foran or Donacien?.

• Will de Havilland and Max Muller two of the worst.

• Donacien, Carlos Lopez like in his debut incompetence

• We’re talking centre backs, I think, @DevC. The McCarthy in @MindlessDrugHoover’s list is Paul. I may be wrong but I thought Steven Taylor was a right back. Pretty sure Donacien is but perhaps we played him out of position in the centre. Foran, I don’t really remember, position wise.

• Can't believe we're forgetting Michael Duberry.

• @micra said:
    Foran, I don’t really remember, position wise.

I think he was officially listed as drawback. Worst player I've ever seen for the Blues (I never saw Lopez).

• Frank Sinclair...

• TJ Moncur right back/Cb dreadful player.

• edited August 2021

Luke Oliver one of the worst

• Although he played only a dozen or so games for us and was in his late thirties and only about 5’10”, Frank Sinclair’s experience, positional sense and calmness made him an excellent central defender and I remember being very disappointed when he left to join Wrexham.

• @JohnBoy said:
    Can't believe we're forgetting Michael Duberry.

It's worth a try