Skip to content

Match day thread: Wigan

Comments

• Tony Stewart got the equaliser according to Jeff Stelling.

• It might be the ideal result if we could not win, as far as the catharsis of a late equalizer, but everyone knowing we have work to do with the squad and injuries.

• Agreed @Shev. A back five of McCarthy, Stewart, Lavelle, Tafazolli and JJ would win us this league.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Horrendous start, and I don't think we're going to get another let-off.

I blame the guy on the other thread saying about Stewart getting a big move.
    Has jinxed him a treat in that first 5mins!

:-)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm already nervous for the Imps game! It was incredible how many names I recognised in the Wigan side...obviously a lot of experience at this level but mainly experience of staying down with Pompey and Sunderland.? I reckon that means there will be some feisty games at the top of the table as the league goes on.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Horrendous start, and I don't think we're going to get another let-off.

I blame the guy on the other thread saying about Stewart getting a big move.
    Has jinxed him a treat in that first 5mins!

:-)

I hoped there wasn't another last jinx in there when Stewart mashed their player down on the edge of the box late on. That was nervy!

• Hopefully McCarthy is fit for Saturday. Source of the defensive problems was a chain reaction starting with Kaikai looking lost and Grimmer having to cover in positions he shouldn't have to. Missed McCarthy more than any CB

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    Building a little hint of momentum when we get it now.

Maybe still a late twist in this one.

No chance

POTD ??

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Agreed @Shev. A back five of McCarthy, Stewart, Lavelle, Tafazolli and JJ would win us this league.

JJ as a wing-back?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Hopefully McCarthy is fit for Saturday. Source of the defensive problems was a chain reaction starting with Kaikai looking lost and Grimmer having to cover in positions he shouldn't have to. Missed McCarthy more than any CB

Mccarthy is critical to this formation, so let's hope he is back very soon.
    Getting nervous at Tafa's robustness too. After missing half a season last year, and no word about what he's done this time.

• Hats off to the 337 chairboys/girls making that long trip tonight. I trust none of you left on 90 mins to avoid the traffic?

Seriously though, that's a tremendous turn out and you got to celebrate another stoppage time goal. Just a shame we didn't win all 3 points, but in truth we barely deserved the 1 point.

• I’ll take it on to Saturday

• @Malone said:
    I thought of you when the commentary lady said Obita has been great this last couple of games :)

That was the only thing she said that I disagreed with. I hope he finds his feet with us, I'm probably just spoiled by having watched Fred tear the touchline up and JJ swing in endless pinpoint crosses.

• @drcongo said:

@Malone said:
    I thought of you when the commentary lady said Obita has been great this last couple of games :)

That was the only thing she said that I disagreed with. I hope he finds his feet with us, I'm probably just spoiled by having watched Fred tear the touchline up and JJ swing in endless pinpoint crosses.

Definitely need to see him a bit more to see his full strengths locker.
    Also it'll help when we have a full defensive cast around him.
    Plus a fully functioning Thompson.

• Agreed. Massively missed McCarthy.
    Grimmer was not at his best defensively, but as someone said above, KaiKai was not at home out if position a lot of the game and leaving grimmer to mop up more than he should have needed to

• Didn't see that equaliser coming tonight. Below par performance against a very useful Wigan team, but an excellent point.

Hard to pick out out players who had a good game. Obita played well, Stewart was his usual self and a great header at the end. Mehmeti was good in the 1st half, but really faded before his substitution.

Don't think we'll have many tougher matches this season. A point would have been a good result had we played well, so to play poorly and get a point says plenty about the character of the squad.

• I don't think it's central defence we need to strengthen as much as wing back. We played a back three of JJ, Stewart and Grimmer in the Championship and held our own. With Tafazolli coming back that gives us a little bit of leeway with injuries and Burley / the player from Chelsea won't be as exposed in a back three as they would be in a back two.

But with McCarthy out we are resorting to trying out a player clearly unsuited to wing back in that position, wasting his talents in front of goal. And if Obita gets injured - and he also has a poor injury record - who do we put there? Freeman? Kashket?

We need to strengthen in this area or bite the bullet and revert to a back four where we have more strength in depth among full backs.

Other than that, I was impressed by Scowen, who was at his tenacious best; he combines Gape's reading of the game with Thompson's ferocity and O'Nien's ability to pick a pass.

I hope we can see a return to Horgan and McCleary playing off Vokes at the weekend. I won't repeat the arguments I made over Mehmeti at the weekend and he certainly passed a lot more today. But in Vokes, McCleary and Horgan (and Wheeler if he's fit) we have four of the most quick-witted forwards I've seen in a Wycombe shirt and their interplay is what will get us goals against more pedestrian defences than Wigan's.

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Hopefully McCarthy is fit for Saturday. Source of the defensive problems was a chain reaction starting with Kaikai looking lost and Grimmer having to cover in positions he shouldn't have to. Missed McCarthy more than any CB

Mccarthy is critical to this formation, so let's hope he is back very soon.
    Getting nervous at Tafa's robustness too. After missing half a season last year, and no word about what he's done this time.

Yeah, full-backs as outside centre-backs is fine (and brings a lot of advantages) as long as the wing-backs are disciplined and where they need to be. But yeah, it would be ideal to have Taf back pronto obviously - 'close to being back in contention' according to the club site preview, so maybe this side of Christmas?

• Please Gareth get us a CB and not if Xmas.

• Horgan was superb first game, one of our best players, got a knock and missed the next game, comes on for 30 mins this game and people on his back again already.

• Horgan will be fine this season. Most of these lads will - I am a lot more concerned about injuries than quality.

• One thing I feel is when we get under pressure at all we slip back into the lump it forward hopefully mentality. We have players now that can play it on the deck and pick a pass. I felt like too often tonight we felt hurried by Wigan and lost our composure. Instead of taking a touch, looking and passing, we just hoofed it up field thinking the danger was cleared, but we were second to most balls tonight and Wigan just came right back at us again.

• Horgan played well when he came on. Definitely a point gained without playing too well.

Tremendous atmosphere in the away end. Sat in a burger bar with my 13 year old and a couple of disgruntled Wigan fans. Love it.

• edited August 2021

Thought their front two were impressively strong and mobile tonight and bullied our back three, never letting them win any easy balls with which to distribute to the midfield and start attacks, and they created a considerable threat every time the ball came forwards.

Had Anis scored from McLeary's flicked lob in the first half, it would have been a goal for the ages.

Enjoyed the first half as entertainment. Was disappointed with our play in the second - no individuals to pick out; thought we were pretty poor with the ball across the eleven too often.

Looking forward to Saturday: hasn't been a dull game so far. I thought Wigan were very good in most respects and we were not a patch on what we could be, partly but by no means wholly due to Wigan's quality. It could be a very tight and interesting league this year, couldn't it.

• @Alexo said:
    One thing I feel is when we get under pressure at all we slip back into the lump it forward hopefully mentality. We have players now that can play it on the deck and pick a pass. I felt like too often tonight we felt hurried by Wigan and lost our composure. Instead of taking a touch, looking and passing, we just hoofed it up field thinking the danger was cleared, but we were second to most balls tonight and Wigan just came right back at us again.

Very much agree...

• Great to have you back Phil> @Malone said:

@drcongo said:
    I didn’t think that performance was anywhere near as bad as a lot of you. Especially whoever said it was like the first few games of last season. There were a few slightly below par performances and Kaikai playing a position he has no experience of, but the overall effect was a decent grinding out of a result against a very good, very organised side. Well done lads.

"the commentary lady"...... fucking hell

• edited August 2021

Well tonight was a relief. We played "ok" in the first half but in the second half at the start we looked very very clueless before gradually working ourselves back into the game. I knew tonight wasnt going to be an easy game whatsoever, Wigan do have the squad which could make the playoffs. I'd definitely take a point here, we didn't play like we deserved it for 75% of the game, but in a very competitive league a point is a point, good or bad - maybe it will be to our advantage later on through such fine margins.

Performance wise from us, I feel Grimmer, Obita, Pendlebury and McCleary werent at their best tonight. I'm not sure if Grimmer is really at his best as a centre back, even though he's a premirley defensive right back. I remember watching him against Cheltenham, he didn't seem comfortable there and was given a runaround by May and William's. Hopefully he'll get more used to it though, he's a great player as well as one of my favourites too. With Obita, Pendlebury and McCleary, I didn't really notice them much tonight. I was watching on ifollow so maybe that's why I didn't notice them to much given I find it hard sometimes to keep up with the game.

I do also agree with some of my fellow Gasroomers that we definitely miss McCarthy. Kaikai is obviously a wide player, but I feel he would be so much more effective on the left than the right. But, he did get the assist tonight, and we'll all be grateful for that.

It's also very nice to get the scoreline Prediction correct as well as not being to far off predicting the attendance tonight! Onto Lincoln City on Saturday, up the blues!

• Tonight wasn’t a night for taking a touch and picking a pass though, mainly because our first touch wasn’t great and our passing even worse. But it’s fine, we will have games like that. All in all, a very useful point.